Decoding 2020

fryoj

6 hours ago, Diamondback Splash said:

So the lift hill track is confirmed 286 feet tall from station to peak?

295-286 = station track 9 feet off the ground... something isn't adding up, is it?

Looks like the track is around 17 feet of the ground assuming standard size doors (80 inches tall). They will obviously be doing doing some grading and evacuation etc. for the station to take that ground a little below the station sea-level elevation shown on the plans.

286+17 = 303 foot lift hill.

I don't think you can simply calculate from the sea-level station ground numbers to the sea-level lift hill height as, like I said, they will be evacuating the land for the station by a bit, maybe a few feet.

It makes zero sense that they would invest millions into this project and leave it at a 295 etc. foot tall lift hill instead of going ahead and making it an even 300 (or more) for marketing purposes. 

134135.jpg

The lift's crest is 286' from the ground directly below it. I have an earlier post on page 145 describing how I came to this, but this pic below sums it up. The 4 footings surrounding the the crest are all at roughly the same height (750' ground elevation). These heights are from the footings coordinates, so they're legit numbers. I'm assuming that these heights are negligibly close to ground level (maybe 2-3ft above ground, but for simplicity here, I'm calling this zero). The crest elevation is 1035.9, so subtract the 750' ground elevation from that gives us ~286'. The crest is 286' directly above the ground below it.

heights.png

You're close with your 17' estimate to track height, but using the dimensions on that sheet you took an image of, I'd say the track height is right at 19' (about 1' below the station floor, which is at 20' off the ground). Note that the ground here is at an elevation of 740', about 10' lower than the ground where the lift's crest is. So, if you want to measure from the station's ground height, then the lift is 296' from the ground. However, station height is irrelevant to lift height. You don't simply tack on the 17' or 19' onto the 286'...they're independent numbers. The elevation heights are what we care about, so whether you measure from the ground at the station, or ground directly below the lift's crest, you're in the 286-296' range. 

station height.jpg

They're marketing grab-words are the fact that the drop is 301', making it a giga coaster. At the end of the day though, they can literally say whatever they want and nobody will publicly refute them. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jallie79 said:

That's where my confusion came from. I either misread or misunderstood how people came up with the numbers. I thought people were going from the station elevation to the crest of the lift.  

But which footer is everyone using for the measurements. There doesn't appear to be a footer directly under the crest.

Screenshot_20190523-014238_Imgur.jpg

I think I'm triple-posting at this point...but I used all 4 footings that surround the crest. Three of these footings have an elevation of 750', while the other is at 749'. For simplicity's sake, I'm just calling this small area of land directly below the crest to be at an elevation of 750'. Take the crest height of 1035.9' and subtract 750 from it gives you ~286'. (blue dashed line below is the crest's location within the 4 footings)

heights.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Diamondback Splash said:

Wouldn't it be from the ground level at the station? Extreme example for illustrative purposes... pic related wouldn't be considered a 200 foot lift hill. The only way to have a standardized way to compare coaster lift hills would be from the station ground to lift hill peak.

Untitled.png

Here is a thought. Imagine standing on the top of your 100' lift hill, and you fall off! Are they going to say you fell from a 100' structure, then fell into a 100' ravine? No. They would say you fell 200'. So you could in fact say your lift hill above is 200'.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The park is more focused on the general public since they bring in the most of the money. Yes, they want to attract enthusiasts too, but the major target is the general public. They want to build a coaster that both the enthusiasts and the general public can easily enjoy and are able to reride it. I305 for example ranks in many enthusiasts top 10, but the general public don't like it as much since they find it a little too intense.

See also Rougarou. That thing never has a line and I believe that’s because the GP finds it too aggressive.

Also, great overhead view of Field of Screams (I forget who posted that)!

Finally, welcome to KIC @BeastBabyDoll! Hope you enjoy all the lively discussion.

• Like 1

I mean without blueprints what guest would know? They could tell you it was taller than Fury and you wouldn’t be able to tell otherwise because of how tall this thing is and 30-40ft won’t be noticeable at that height with just your eyes.

:-)

If they advertise a >300’ tall coaster and the coaster is actually 286’ tall, I’m taking a clinometer and tape to prove false advertising and will see them in court!

(Calm down, j/k)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Per the Drawing Index on the first page, there are a lot of sheets in this drawing package.  Has anyone obtained a copy of the full set? Or were these specific sheets the only ones available?  Also, has anyone made a nice PDF scan of these drawings anywhere?  I've been looking around for a link...

Thanks to those who have local access!

Drawing Index.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Maddog said:

Per the Drawing Index on the first page, there are a lot of sheets in this drawing package.  Has anyone obtained a copy of the full set? Or were these specific sheets the only ones available?  Also, has anyone made a nice PDF scan of these drawings anywhere?  I've been looking around for a link...

Thanks to those who have local access!

Drawing Index.jpg

What you have seen so far is all that is available. I went down yesterday and got a set for the footings and for the track. What is out there is all they have at this point as I asked for ALL the avaible documents for Project X at Kings Island. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Wow! A lot to catch up on....

First, off, the legit blueprints: I'll admit, I was a bit disappointed to see that the actual track layout matched up with the "leak" due to the "short" track length. Then, someone mentioned the possible theming and I got really excited; also, this thing is gonna haul and I'm excited for the pure speed as that's one of the best parts about Millennium Force (the only other Giga I've ridden). And from the looks of it, it could have some pretty cool unique turn-based elements. Basically, as long as the theming and overall ride experience is done right, I think this coaster should be pretty awesome and I'll be a happy camper. That being said, I really hope we get the 4-across trains like the other B&M Gigas.

Second, speaking of B&M, the only outright garbage coaster I've ridden by them is Iron Wolf and to be fair, that was their first coaster, and they've come a looong way since then.

Third, yes I am one of those people who rides Valravn at The Point, thank you very much! I also like Steel Vengeance, Wicked Twister, Maverick and Rougarou (Millennium Force and TTD are up there as well).

Finally, another possible speculation topic... what do we think the announcement video will be like? I mean, personally I'm all hyped up for a fast, fun ride, but I suppose there could always be more hype (well, let's not forget the shed overhype lol)...

EDIT: Remember this...

Also, this could be split into another thread, but... what was the hype like for Millennium Force around this time? Curious to know what they were thinking back in the day.

That's so cool-Had never seen the promo. And MF is my favorite coaster ever.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sixflags82 said:

E5B14562-0A5E-43DA-B436-3F4E53702C14.jpeg

Our turnaround does look similar to Leviathan's hammerhead from the top angle, but the top point of ours is about 90 degrees away from Leviathan's, which is almost perfectly centered. I think our turnaround is something different.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, BSBMX said:

I think I'm triple-posting at this point...but I used all 4 footings that surround the crest. Three of these footings have an elevation of 750', while the other is at 749'. For simplicity's sake, I'm just calling this small area of land directly below the crest to be at an elevation of 750'. Take the crest height of 1035.9' and subtract 750 from it gives you ~286'. (blue dashed line below is the crest's location within the 4 footings)

heights.png

Thanks for replying. I wasn't sure what the footing elevations were. My confusion is no more. Lol

Maybe they're planning on 10 foot high footings :).  Lol 

• Like 3

See also Rougarou. That thing never has a line and I believe that’s because the GP finds it too aggressive.
Also, great overhead view of Field of Screams (I forget who posted that)!
Finally, welcome to KIC [mention=11700]BeastBabyDoll[/mention]! Hope you enjoy all the lively discussion.

If that is true, then why do SteVe, MF, Maverick, and TTD all have the longest waits in the park?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Logan said:

If that is true, then why do SteVe, MF, Maverick, and TTD all have the longest waits in the park?

I'm no expert, but in my experience those other ones are fast and smooth enough to be forceful without banging your body head around like Vortex or Rougarou

• Like 2

• malem locked this topic