Decoding 2020

fryoj

1 minute ago, darkmarkman said:

It doesn't look like they are making a "plaza" entrance with a sign from these prints. Maybe I am wrong and just don't see it. 

leviathan_-_1.jpg

img_1217.jpg

cbj-carowinds-22_1200xx5184-2916-0-270.jpg

The company that made the Banshee sign has been contracted by the park (Per the Notice of commencement)

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

If I remember correctly, the company who did Banshee's sign also did other things around the park as well. Like Tropical Plunge's sign. 

I think another company did the other signs, the Notice of commencement had 2 sign companies. The other sign company I assume did the Kings Mills auto sign(Based off of their portfolio). I’m assuming the flat, less detail signs are made by that company. Exhibit 3 fabrications (The ones who made the Banshee sign) as you mentioned also does a ton of work around the park.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

I honestly hope after this, KI moves away from building new coasters at the rate they've been.  I'd like to see some more creative flats or a decent dark ride, spruce up the non-coaster line up.  

I hate to say it, but I completely agree with you. I would be happy with what Canada's Wonderland has been getting recently. After this attraction I don't think we'll get another big coaster for another 3 to 5 years. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

@HandsUp It was talked about at one point a while ago. I think them using FH's que for FoF and the lack of grass clearing suggests it'll remain a dead end for now

@kirbias1 I'm excited but my biggest question would be "is going 300ft high so hard?" Its only a 15ft difference in height but that 15ft difference has triggered so many.

No, it's not hard. As i've been saying and will continue to maintain that CF does not have KI in its masterplan to make it into a major thrill park. That is for Carowinds and CP. Carowinds is 12 hrs from CP and KI is only 4 hrs. The per capita spending is higher at CP  and Carowinds than KI. Everything is more expensive and they have a lot of out-of-the park revenue from it's resorts. Notice how Carowinds just opened a resort. That is the connection here. Build record breakers to get people in from far away and stay at your resorts, then per capita spending goes up. People will pay more for Fast Lane, etc.  People will travel further to ride record breaking attractions and stay in those resorts. They will not travel further to ride rides that cannot be marketed as "highest" "fastest" etc. I would not have gone down to Carowinds if Fury wasn't there. CF knows KI will draw from its regional base from 5 major cities only 2 hrs or less away. CF also knows they don't have to build the record breakers at KI to get people to show up, therefore, they won't spend the extra money. They will build new and good attractions though. Just good enough to keep the Gold Passes and meal plans selling. That is where KI's revenue is, and unfortunately that is what we as KI enthusiasts have.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I honestly hope after this, KI moves away from building new coasters at the rate they've been.  I'd like to see some more creative flats or a decent dark ride, spruce up the non-coaster line up.  

Not a bad thought. Some might disagree, but I think some of the next steps will be ride replacements. Nothing lasts forever as they say...

• Like 3

What if Flight of Fear gets renamed to Orion or Polaris, while the giga takes the other name?  Then incorporate a new sign that has both rides themed together as you are entering that part of the park?

Regarding the path behind the games, IIRC there is a decent amount of elevation change back there, I don't think its as easy as it looks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, darkmarkman said:

It doesn't look like they are making a "plaza" entrance with a sign from these prints. Maybe I am wrong and just don't see it. 

Considering the queue goes through the old on-ride photo building, I'm guessing thats where the signage will be. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 2.18.17 PM.png

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AnotherCoasterNerd said:

When I worked there, that basketball game along with the rope ladder game were both top 10 games in terms of revenue. Axing both of them would be a tough sell.

Fair point. Just seems that if they opened that space up there would be more than enough room to move those games as well as develop the area:

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 2.19.26 PM.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

No, it's not hard. As i've been saying and will continue to maintain that CF does not have KI in its masterplan to make it into a major thrill park. That is for Carowinds and CP. Carowinds is 12 hrs from CP and KI is only 4 hrs. The per capita spending is higher at CP  and Carowinds than KI. Everything is more expensive and they have a lot of out-of-the park revenue from it's resorts. Notice how Carowinds just opened a resort. That is the connection here. Build record breakers to get people in from far away and stay at your resorts, then per capita spending goes up. People will pay more for Fast Lane, etc.  People will travel further to ride record breaking attractions and stay in those resorts. They will not travel further to ride rides that cannot be marketed as "highest" "fastest" etc. I would not have gone down to Carowinds if Fury wasn't there. CF knows KI will draw from its regional base from 5 major cities only 2 hrs or less away. CF also knows they don't have to build the record breakers at KI to get people to show up, therefore, they won't spend the extra money. They will build new and good attractions though. Just good enough to keep the Gold Passes and meal plans selling. That is where KI's revenue is, and unfortunately that is what we as KI enthusiasts have.

What if I told you that most people already consider KI a major thrill park?

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, medford said:

What if Flight of Fear gets renamed to Orion or Polaris, while the giga takes the other name?  Then incorporate a new sign that has both rides themed together as you are entering that part of the park?

I'm onboard with this.  My gut is telling me that there are dual attractions inbound in some form or another.  Perhaps not even in 2020, but for some reason, I think something else is coming.  It could be as simple as a retheme of FoF.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tks944 said:

Little idea about the name Orion. 

If the ride has three big hills in a row and you put a bright light on the top of each hill it will resemble Orion's belt star constellation. 

Cool idea, but yesterday's blueprints only show two hills consecutively. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sorner said:

I doubt it’s bathroom because there’s no piping for plumbing. If it is for haunt, WHY that location. Anything else, WHY THERE?? Haha. I feel that there are many other areas that a building could be placed that doesn’t seem out of place. 

My best guess is to keep the "theme" of Field of Screams intact; ergo, relocate the maze to another barren field within the park. Sounds stupid, I know, but short of using any unused backstage parking lots (like the one opposite Surf Dog adjacent to the path leading to Soak City), it's the only spot I can immediately think of that would work. 

And just to be clear, I'm not actually advocating them putting a brown shed right next to Racer's station, especially under the assumptions that 1) they'll keep either a gaudy sign or facade up year-round like Slaughter House, and 2) it'll excuse them to leave up and not overhaul yet another maze in need of improvements (see Urgent Scare, Wolf Pack, Kill Mart, the former Tombstone Terrortory and CarnEvil, etc.).

• Like 2

This shed by The Racer talk seems to be getting redundant. IF it was directly involved with project X, then it would be shown on the blueprints posted yesterday. Best to my knowledge, it's not. 

More logical to think the park doesn't want guests to be crossing over an active construction zone during Haunt, and that this building will replace the temporarily decommisioned maze. Come 2020 Haunt, both mazes will be up and running. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I agree. There are really only three thrilling flat rides at the moment which is something I find the park is kind of lacking. I hope we'll get something new in X-Base after the giga to round off the area.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Considering the queue goes through the old on-ride photo building, I'm guessing thats where the signage will be. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 2.18.17 PM.png

I'm actually really curious what this new ride entrance is going to look like.  I'm trying to come up with other ride examples where you go through a defined "building" as the ride entrance.  Seems to be a new one for KI.    Yeah Mystic Timbers has the archway with a truck, and The Beast has the old foodservice building (wish it still existed)...wonder what will be inside the Project X entry building??

Edit: also add Flight of Fear to the list, but I always consider the enclosed queue with storyline part of the ride experience, not just a gateway.

Edited by Maddog
FOF
  • Like 5

• malem locked this topic