Decoding 2020

fryoj

49 minutes ago, ethancoaster said:

If the coaster is anything like this No Limits recreation by Coasterheads on YouTube, you’re gonna be in for an incredible ride:

This looks good! Still working on my concept. Working with overlays and everything to get it perfected. Still ... I love this coaster. It’s gonna be so much fun! It’s all about perspective. Is it a record breaker? Noo. But will it be wicked?! Big time! 

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

Right before the first 90° banked turn. It's nothing compared to SV's, but it's there!

I don't think it's outside banked, I think it's a flat right turn in the middle of a small speed hill.. but it for sure feels like an outside banked turn. This was the only coaster I've ever ridden more than 10 times in a row. The headache after was worth it lol. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SilentGloves said:

Yeah, but they can only really be very gentle turns or taken quite slowly (relatively).  Humans don't tolerate high negative Gs nearly as easily as positive Gs.  All the blood slamming into your head at -4Gs is a recipe for a killer headache at best, and an aneurysm at worst.  Most humans lose consciousness at between -2 to -3Gs.

Skyrush pulls -2Gs, duration is a big factor as well. Humans can withstand a lot of G forces for very short duration. As you said the max negative is in the -2 to -3 range and around 5 positive before blacking out.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LintemuthStudios said:

I find it funny that everyone is complaining that this coaster is so short when it's longer, taller, and probably faster than all the coasters at Busch Gardens Tampa (my home park). Not to mention that it actually has airtime (none of the coasters I've ridden in Florida have airtime, and I've ridden quite a few). I'd kill to have this down here.

Mako has airtime. I don't normally Love B&M hypers all that much, but I thought Mako was delightful.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Logan said:

I can't find it in the POV for the life of me.

I didn’t see it either.

15 minutes ago, Logan said:

Does anyone have any info/theories about the turnaround being some sort of non-inverting dive loop/late turn down raven?

Is that an actual maneuver? It sounds like what the woman in front of me at Starbucks ordered this morning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, brendan71388 said:

Can somebody provide an example of what a dive loop is? I’ve seen it mentioned several times as a possibility here.

Ive attached one below, but I really really really doubt (positive but I'm avoiding the word) that Project X has this.  Honestly that video that @ethancoaster posted is going to be this coaster to a T. I think it looks great!

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 9.31.27 PM.png

Edited by KI FANATIC 37
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Logan said:

I can't find it in the POV for the life of me.

About 1:28-1:29 in HW's POV of it. Again, it's nothing compared to SV's, but it was the first one I've experienced long ago, so it stuck with me. It's definitely there. 

Here on Negative-G's site, he describes the turn in the second paragraph. He calls it a reverse banked turn instead of outer or outside, but same thing in my opinion. 

http://www.negative-g.com/holiday-world/2006/voyage-media-day/media-day-2006-5-4-2006-5.htm

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

Has anyone pointed out the "new prop building" in the queue line? Would this be a themed room, like a smaller FoF room?kmDSIAW.jpg

Someone's been reading my "Improving Que Lines" thread. I love it when I have to go on a "journey" to get to rides like The Bat or the old Beast plaza. 

It would be cool if they took the Flight of Fear theme and built on it. What this ride lacks in height it should make up for in theming.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Jallie79 said:

It would absoluetly need fire supression to meet Ohio Fire Code.  At work right now so I can't vote the exact O.R.C section. But yes, all haunted attractions , permanent or temporary are required to have a fire suppression system in place

I noticed when they started digging for the pad that there is either a fire hydrant or PIV right near it. 

Now, suppression system yes. That does not necessarily mean water. Water is the cheapest but not the only option. It also means full fire alarm with pull stations, emergency exits and emergency lighting. OFC is very specific on the requirements. 

My best guess would be a dry system, since the most of the attractions are seasonal. A wet system doesn’t make sense, as it would have to be heated to keep pipes from bursting. Dry system just means the lines are charged with air and air pressure is used to hold the water back until a sprinkler head is activated. Pre-action is another type of suppression system as well that would work in this situation. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

I noticed when they started digging for the pad that there is either a fire hydrant or PIV right near it. 

Now, suppression system yes. That does not necessarily mean water. Water is the cheapest but not the only option. It also means full fire alarm with pull stations, emergency exits and emergency lighting. OFC is very specific on the requirements. 

My best guess would be a dry system, since the most of the attractions are seasonal. A wet system doesn’t make sense, as it would have to be heated to keep pipes from bursting. Dry system just means the lines are charged with air and air pressure is used to hold the water back until a sprinkler head is activated. Pre-action is another type of suppression system as well that would work in this situation. 

I agree with you completely, but, just out of curiosity, what about an ansul type system? They are liquid based, but I know theres certain types that hold up below freezing. Or would that only be in class K systems?

16 minutes ago, SilentGloves said:

Totally unrelated to this thread, but tangentially related to the above post.  I just want to share because these systems are so cool.  :) 

They're excited.. until they realize they have to clean that up. 

• Like 1

During The Beast tour at Coasterstock, we walked right past Slaughterhouse, which has a very large water hydrant-type connection sticking out of the ground near the building.  It is clearly labeled as "Slaughterhouse Fire System" or something similar. Seems like this could be a similar case?

• Like 1

With the added que line for FoF, I’m thinking this could be a full retheme of X base. I could see them spreading some money to FoF and rethemeing it since they saved a bit on the Giga. Additional we have two trademarked names.

I would also like for them to get rid of those first two maintenance buildings on the blueprint and make this more of a plaza area and throw in a bathroom there. There would be some great views of the drop from this area.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SonofBaconator said:

I would love expansion in the future; maybe this coaster will be the start of it. Someone mentioned how the area could still expand in the left over Firehawk land which would be prime land for flat rides.

I still believe this coaster will be one of two announcements.  I cannot explain why I believe this, it's just a gut feeling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I would love expansion in the future; maybe this coaster will be the start of it. Someone mentioned how the area could still expand in the left over Firehawk land which would be prime land for flat rides.

X Base never really felt like a cohesive area with its two coasters and nothing else. I don't think the giga will make it much different; at least one awesome flat ride and maybe a food option would round it out. And people joke about bathrooms but even that would help it feel like a distinct area of the park. I hope the giga is the start of this kind of expansion!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Getting back on topic, I do think it's interesting that the park decided to combine Firehawk and Flight of Fear's que line. However, something bugs me. Every time I've been to the park, only half of the FoF que has ever been open; the part to the right of the UFO. Does the park still utilize the left hand side of the que?

Opening up all the queues at FOF and Firehawk created problems at both rides. “Things” tend to happen when you have that many people in a tight space with slow moving lines. Same reason that the middle queue at Firehawk was frequently closed. I still think it’s overkill but it will help with those issues, especially during Haunt. 

11 hours ago, fryoj said:

It looks to me they are taking some lines from the FOF queue to make extra locker space and the PX on ride photo booth. 

It does look like one of the switch backs is going to be removed from the outside queue at FOF for more lockers. 

I remember getting in line for FOF during its opening year (not opening day) somewhere around The Racer entrance. This new queue setup could easily eat that crowd but I don’t see a 25 year old ride pulling that kind of draw anymore. Fast Lane probably slows the line down though. Crowd management is interesting.

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

What would be the second?

I don't know.  I just think CF is beginning to play the longer game, especially for it's more revenue generating parks (of which KI is in the top 4).  We've seen an increase in theming effort, we've seen impressive designs and great rides coming more frequently.  CF definitely has a 5-year plan for all of their parks, is seeing the benefit of such expansion, and for KI, I expect this coaster is the third of perhaps a 4-part accelerated expansion plan (Banshee, Mystic Timbers, "Polaris," and whatever is next).  This is purely speculative, but I have a lot of experience in growing major businesses, and I know how talented people execute growth.

If I were to speculate, I expect either a B&M wing, which has broad GP appeal, or a Mack, which brings "curb appeal" and uniqueness, in KI's near future.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, arrold said:

X Base never really felt like a cohesive area with its two coasters and nothing else. I don't think the giga will make it much different; at least one awesome flat ride and maybe a food option would round it out. And people joke about bathrooms but even that would help it feel like a distinct area of the park. I hope the giga is the start of this kind of expansion!

I think long term, Firehawks queue line will be used for a new flat ride either behind the train storage for the new ride or in the cutout where the turn around into Firehawk’s station was. What kind of flat ride would you like to see? When it comes to flats, other parks seem to be going with drop rides or giant swing rides but KI obviously has those already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, befat said:

I think long term, Firehawks queue line will be used for a new flat ride either behind the train storage for the new ride or in the cutout where the turn around into Firehawk’s station was. What kind of flat ride would you like to see? When it comes to flats, other parks seem to be going with drop rides or giant swing rides but KI obviously has those already.

Take a look at Canada's Wonderland thrill ride offerings: https://www.canadaswonderland.com/play/rides-thrill

I think the Skyhawk, Sledgehammer, or Soaring Timbers attractions would be awesome additions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SilentGloves said:

If I were to speculate, I expect either a B&M wing, which has broad GP appeal, or a Mack, which brings "curb appeal" and uniqueness, in KI's near future.

I want to say Mack but they're expensive as they're manufactured overseas. 

Maybe something from Gerstlauer would be likely

• Like 1

• malem locked this topic