Decoding 2020

fryoj

28 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I want to say Mack but they're expensive as they're manufactured overseas. 

Maybe something from Gerstlauer would be likely

It's also worth noting that S&S has purchased Vekoma. Case Study: Steel Curtain.  It's a weird S&S/Vekoma type record breaker.  Depending on Steel Curtain's success, S&S could become relevant again.  However, like I said, CF already has a 5 year plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

I noticed when they started digging for the pad that there is either a fire hydrant or PIV right near it. 

Now, suppression system yes. That does not necessarily mean water. Water is the cheapest but not the only option. It also means full fire alarm with pull stations, emergency exits and emergency lighting. OFC is very specific on the requirements. 

My best guess would be a dry system, since the most of the attractions are seasonal. A wet system doesn’t make sense, as it would have to be heated to keep pipes from bursting. Dry system just means the lines are charged with air and air pressure is used to hold the water back until a sprinkler head is activated. Pre-action is another type of suppression system as well that would work in this situation. 

You are absoluetly correct. I honestly missed the hydrant near the site. I could definately see a dry system in place. 

I have the entire fire code regarding haunts at the house. My dept use to do an indoor haunt.  Figured a fire dept should definitely be in compliance. Lol.  Once all the changes were added and the state started cracking down on enforcement, we went to a haunted trail. Lol. 

13 minutes ago, SilentGloves said:

It's also worth noting that S&S has purchased Vekoma. Case Study: Steel Curtain.  It's a weird S&S/Vekoma type record breaker.  Depending on Steel Curtain's success, S&S could become relevant again.  However, like I said, CF already has a 5 year plan.

So a Who Dey coaster?;)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jcovelli said:

I don't think it's outside banked, I think it's a flat right turn in the middle of a small speed hill.. but it for sure feels like an outside banked turn. This was the only coaster I've ever ridden more than 10 times in a row. The headache after was worth it lol. 

It's unfortunately been mellowed out over the years with retracks. The original POV shows that it wasn't a mere right turn w/ a speed hill. It was deliberate before .. and I think it was more rough there before aswell haha

• Like 1

HI guys and gals. I was having a conversation in the Brewhouse tonight, about our new Gigas potential. Specifically theming. Maybe we are looking the wrong way for the rides theming. Orion was known for hunting the greatest Beasts (hint hint) on Earth. A section of track that is 30 feet from The Beast, locked in an eternal struggle. The power of Orion versus the ferocity of The Beast, playing out in the woods of Rivertown, back to Orions home in the stars.... Just a theory

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, warmccarty said:

HI guys and gals. I was having a conversation in the Brewhouse tonight, about our new Gigas potential. Specifically theming. Maybe we are looking the wrong way for the rides theming. Orion was known for hunting the greatest Beasts (hint hint) on Earth. A section of track that is 30 feet from The Beast, locked in an eternal struggle. The power of Orion versus the ferocity of The Beast, playing out in the woods of Rivertown, back to Orions home in the stars.... Just a theory

Yeah someone else brought this up as well probably 70-80 pages back or more. It's not a bad point, but I personally really do see this being space/aviation themed. If you look at the station, it really does resemble the FoF building. I wouldn't bet the farm on you being wrong on this, but I'd bet something, lol.

• Like 5

I agree with you completely, but, just out of curiosity, what about an ansul type system? They are liquid based, but I know theres certain types that hold up below freezing. Or would that only be in class K systems?

Ansul type systems are expensive. I don’t see the need to go to that extreme. They have those systems because of the need to smother things like fryer and oil fires. That isn’t the case here.

Totally unrelated to this thread, but tangentially related to the above post.  I just want to share because these systems are so cool.   

And more expensive than the Ansul systems. They have a foam flooding system at the Delta hangar at CVG. They were setting up for a party one time and someone tripped the system doing the wrong thing. It filled the entire hangar with 10 feet of foam. The cost to cleanup and reset the system... $30k.

During The Beast tour at Coasterstock, we walked right past Slaughterhouse, which has a very large water hydrant-type connection sticking out of the ground near the building.  It is clearly labeled as "Slaughterhouse Fire System" or something similar. Seems like this could be a similar case?

That’s an FDC = Fire Department Connection. It’s for a fire truck to pump into to supplement the water that is supplied to the suppression system if there ever was a fire. That’s just a standard thing anymore. If more than a couple of heads go off, the main will have a tough time with enough flow to feed them all, so you use an engine and a fire hydrant to supplement it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, arrold said:

Take a look at Canada's Wonderland thrill ride offerings: https://www.canadaswonderland.com/play/rides-thrill

I think the Skyhawk, Sledgehammer, or Soaring Timbers attractions would be awesome additions.

I would like to see something like Sledge Hammer or a Zamperla Hawk 48 (Meteor at Dorney Park). Maybe even a regular (inside facing) Frisbee like Revolution at Six Flags Great America.

Also, S&S bought Vekoma? When did this happen?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

I would like to see something like Sledge Hammer or a Zamperla Hawk 48 (Meteor at Dorney Park). Maybe even a regular (inside facing) Frisbee like Revolution at Six Flags Great America.

Also, S&S bought Vekoma? When did this happen?

March 2018. It was more like Sansei owning all shares of Vekoma, similar to what they did to S&S. Supposedly, they still operate independently. 

https://www.coaster101.com/2018/03/30/sansei-technologies-acquires-roller-coaster-manufacturer-vekoma/

6 hours ago, warmccarty said:

5 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Yeah someone else brought this up as well probably 70-80 pages back or more. It's not a bad point, but I personally really do see this being space/aviation themed. If you look at the station, it really does resemble the FoF building. I wouldn't bet the farm on you being wrong on this, but I'd bet something, lol.

I saw the 30' number somewhere else in the thread but gave up looking for it after the last few pages...anyways, I wanted to check on the 30' number since it seemed wildly too small.

Dropping in the entire overhead view of the layout into CAD, and scaling it so that the lift's backbone footings are 453' apart (per the footings blueprints), gives me the below distance. From center-to-center of Beast and giga track, the distance is about 121'. The closest part of the giga to The Beast is one of its footings, which is still 109' away from Beast's track center. If the trees are kept intact around The Beast's track in this area, I don't think you'll even see the giga from this section of Beast, unless it has highlighter-pink supports.

beast dist.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, presto123 said:

Quick question: If you had your choice, would you prefer KI be getting the coaster they are putting in or an even shorter more intense launch coaster like TTD or Kingda Ka?

Twin launch, destination coaster. One station in Action Zone, one in rivertown, each one a 'portal' to the other side of the park. Blast off, fly by the tower and over IS, and land in your destination. All acceleration & airtime. That's my dream-but to answer your question, I can't really say until I've ridden the new one-but I do love TTD. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think today may finally be the day they start pouring concrete for the coaster! I followed a concrete mixer up Columbia to the back entrance behind Great Wolf on my way here this morning, and someone said they spotted it over in the new clearing!

edit: I was unable to locate it from Red Racer so possible false alarm 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I think today may finally be the day they start pouring concrete for the coaster! I followed a concrete mixer up Columbia to the back entrance behind Great Wolf on my way here this morning, and someone said they spotted it over in the new clearing!

I don't think they have dug any of the ~30' deep footing piers yet, nor laid in the extensive rebar that goes into them. 

They might be pouring concrete, but it's probably for a small building or non-structural components. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BSBMX said:

I don't think they have dug any of the ~30' deep footing piers yet, nor laid in the extensive rebar that goes into them. 

They might be pouring concrete, but it's probably for a small building or non-structural components. 

The wire mesh was placed in the slab formwork for the building next to Racer yesterday. I'd guess that the slab itself is getting poured today. 

• Like 1

So I have a crazy idea that I'm sure is not going to happen, but here it is.  What if the blueprints are 100% real, but just incomplete? What if where it connects with the break run it actually goes under the brake run and does an El Toro like finale in the unused portion of Firehawks space?  I would think deleting a few hundred feet of track on a blueprint would be way easier and cheaper than faking a whole blueprint. Then right before the announcement,  submit the updated plans to the city. I know the plans are genuine and this is most likely not going to happen, but it would be a nice twist if it did. Either way, I can't wait to ride.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ethancoaster said:

If the coaster is anything like this No Limits recreation by Coasterheads on YouTube, you’re gonna be in for an incredible ride:

Wow!  That looks really cool!   Not as fun/exciting looking as Fury325, but different and pretty neat! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, arrold said:

Take a look at Canada's Wonderland thrill ride offerings: https://www.canadaswonderland.com/play/rides-thrill

I think the Skyhawk, Sledgehammer, or Soaring Timbers attractions would be awesome additions.

The sledgehammer ride is really fun!   I had never ridden anything like that until a couple years ago there @ CW.  I really really liked Skyhawk too.  Got to where I could get it rolling so fast and so much I had to stop cause I was blacking out... Where else can you do that?!  Super Fun! Soaring Timbers is a major YAWNER...

1 minute ago, firstnline said:

I'm the furthest thing from any expert reading prints, but does anyone see or is there a MCBR with this coaster. If not this thing could really be hauling.

We won't know for sure until the announcement, but I'm pretty positive it does not.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, JubJester said:

We won't know for sure until the announcement, but I'm pretty positive it does not.

We already know it does not. There is zero indication of it on the recent blueprints. 

A MCBR would require air and electric, both of which would stick out on the recent blueprints. 

There is a trim break on the hill prior to the helix. 

• Like 4

Quick question. The heights on the layout. The layouts focus seems to be on the supports. Is it possible that the heights stand for how tall the highest support per hill and lowest support, for each element or structure.

Just an idea.

I feel like a full coaster side view will actually show heights and such.f78d39b54b1cf750ccae572be5f96caf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• malem locked this topic