Decoding 2020

fryoj

KI is a heck of lot closer drive for me than Cedar Point( 2 hours vs 5 hours). A coaster at KI that rivals or exceeds MF could be a big deal for out of state park visitors. Maybe a lot of them choose KI instead?

• Like 11

KI is a heck of lot closer drive for me than Cedar Point( 2 hours vs 5 hours). A coaster at KI that rivals or exceeds MF could be a big deal for out of state park visitors. Maybe a lot of them choose KI instead?

I mean, but Cedar Point has Dragster (which is their biggest draw).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, presto123 said:

I'm with ya, KI 85 minutes, CP over 5 hours

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zayzayd13 said:

I mean, but Cedar Point has Dragster (which is their biggest draw).

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, but wonder if others agree? I'm shocked---no, dumbfounded---there have not been many more TTD/Kingda Ka rides built.

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I don't think we'll see a coaster topping 400 ft again for a while, if ever. 

But why? Money? That's the only reason I can think---anything that big certainly sets itself apart. But yeah, somebody has to pay for it at considerable risk.

I think the average park goer wants more than a one trick pony kind of coaster.  Sure, TTD and Kindga Ka were big back in the day, but I feel tastes have changed especially with the likes of RMC and Mack being more inventive with element designs and having more meat in a layout and theming is more of a thing people want/expect.  With the price you'd pay for a TTD clone, you could get a few other rides combined, basically boiling down to ROI.  

Intamin has so far been the only manufacture to even think about going 400 ft and not many are willing to go with them, though they are very slowly coming back.  And I simply don't see the others trying to go for it. 

• Like 3

No Limits 2 Update! I am working super hard to accurately represent what we are getting and I want to make it look amazing. Stay tuned this weekend or early next week for a POV / Cinematic off-ride Video that will GET YOU HYPE ALL OVER AGAIN!

Quick question?! What color should the supports, track and bottom accent be? Also what color should the train, and seats be? I need your help! I want this to be a prediction this community can be proud of!

D7361A69-E8F5-4D62-A268-E02C4F56D8FA.jpeg

(image credit thrill central) 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

No Limits 2 Update! I am working super hard to accurately represent what we are getting and I want to make it look amazing. Stay tuned this weekend or early next week for a POV / Cinematic off-ride Video that will GET YOU HYPE ALL OVER AGAIN!

Quick question?! What color should the supports, track and bottom accent be? Also what color should the train, and seats be? I need your help! I want this to be a prediction this community can be proud of!

I vote for something interesting.  I'm going to go with an alien theme; lime green track, black supports. Lime green, purple and black trains.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

Green track, gray supports

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, refrigerator said:

RMC 400+ is coming to some park in the next 5 years. Book it.

https://youtu.be/0_NXIRtGMBc

Go to the 4 minute mark.

The T-Rex will be a complete game changer in the industry. It's track and trains can literally do anything, while using less steel than any current track / support system which of course equates to cost savings. I can't wait! 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

You know, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if “Project X” is actually the name & theme.  Seriously- everyone could be overlooking the obvious.  

It’s possible, but unlikely. Diamondback was filed as “Project Rivertown” IIRC, but we all know that’s not what it ended up being named. Same for Banshee, Mystic Timbers, etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, but wonder if others agree? I'm shocked---no, dumbfounded---there have not been many more TTD/Kingda Ka rides built.

Reliability. I don’t remember the exact words he used, but Dick Kinzel said in an interview that TTD was his biggest mistake/regret. Six Flags was in too deep before they realized it might be a mistake. Xcelerator has the same issues that TTD does. It’s not the biggest draw for me at Cedar Point. It’s actually pretty low on my list or must do rides there. I don’t have much desire to go check out Kingda Ka. As already stated, they are (very expensive) one trick ponies.

• Like 1

Gray supports, navy track, lighter blue/teal bottom accent. I think the white seats look interesting too

29 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

You know, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if “Project X” is actually the name & theme.  Seriously- everyone could be overlooking the obvious.  

I said the exact same thing! I’m pretty sure either Mystic or Banshee had the name on the blueprints, maybe not though. I can’t remember, but it sounds right haha

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

I do not agree, and I am confident that executives at Six Flags and Cedar Fair would also disagree that they are the biggest draws at the parks in which they are located.  When they were built, sure, but today?  No, both parks have moved on.

Richard Kinzel the CEO of Cedar Fair when TTD was built has publicly called the ride his biggest mistake.  I have seen quotes from executives who have stated that due to the extreme maintenance costs it is the most expensive ride ever operated at a park in the chain.  More then twice as expensive as other coasters per a passenger.

At its core the problem with the rides is the hydraulic engine, the catch car, and the steel cable.  There is just too much which can and does go wrong.  This is why no one builds these rides any longer.

But it’s not to say there will not be newer and better designs.  LSM launches have a hard time accelerating trains to the speeds of TTD and KK but it might be possible.  Red Force built in 2017 is capable of getting close at 111.9 MPH which gets it over a 367.3 foot top hat.  But I have heard the launch track is longer then TTD.  

Will there be another 400+ foot coaster built?  I think so, but we need more research and technology first.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Perhaps its themed after the obscure, 1987 Matthew Broderick and Helen Hunt film of the same name.

I posted this on another forum where the discussion isn't nearly as in depth, but I still want to give my postmortem on the 286' fiasco. I think this decision is subject to any and all criticisms, and I can appreciate that the world is getting a new giga and lament the motivations and shortcomings of the project all at once:

After having followed the industry for 20 years, being familiar with Kings Island's history of pushing the envelope, the rumors that have swirled for decades, and their express interest in a giga...this is unequivocally a slap in the face. I'm really curious whether this bid was revised to hit a certain budget, or if Cedar Fair just didn't care to spend serious giga money/outshine Millennium in any way given its proximity. It doesn't make sense, the precedent was set for something great, and for Carowinds to be given the 'crown jewel' B&M giga whilst Kings Island gets a coaster that doesn't even technically qualify as a giga by lift height...it's a racket, fully and truly.

That being said, this coaster looks to have the most extreme banking and tightest pacing of any giga excepting I305. It could end up being the best of the B&M bunch, and the location is definitely the best of the three. And as some have speculated, it does appear there's potential for a near inversion element, perhaps during the turnaround at the far end of the course. 

What really irks me is that not *that much* more expenditure could have resulted in a record breaker that would be on the national and international spotlight and actually pull in new guests to Kings Island, many of whom I'm sure would be interested in hitting up Cedar Point for the first time while in the area. It seems shortsighted to be so stingy with an investment of this magnitude, it's not going to happen again. I'd have much preferred the park to take 2020 as an off year and come back in 2021 with a 308' giga featuring a 323' 86° drop...it could have been advertised as the world's longest and steepest drop on a giga (Red Force is a launched anomaly) and even have the same number of elements for what...$2-3M more, maybe? Maybe steepest drop on a giga will still be the angle here...lol, but for real, the side profile does make it look like the drop will be B&M's steepest.

3f9lAxd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• malem locked this topic