Decoding 2020

fryoj

I've to admit that I'm very disappointed with the leak of the blueprint. I grew up and go to Kings Island every summer since I was a little boy.  We all know that Kings Island is one of the top-notch theme parks in North America.   Now with the leak of the blueprint change my perspective on the Kings Island.  It is my opinion that this new roller coaster whatever you called it- is a totally huge mistake and wastes million dollars on a short ride, not tallest, not longest or whatever we hope for a multi-break the records. I have to move on and learn to cope with my grief.

One thing that is really bothering me lot is there is a fine (very tiniest) print on the right of the blueprint above Project X/ Kings Island logo that grabs my attention;

" Copyrights and trade secrets therein are the confidential and proprietor property of Cedar Fair, LP. They shall not be disclosed, displayed, or furnished its whole or in part, Lo or by any third party, and they shall not be reproduced its whole or a part...." I can't read the rest of the sentences.

So, how did the leaker get that blueprint? Does the leaker have permission to reveal copyrights, disclosed, displayed it?  It doesn't make any sense here.  Don H. and Kings Island didn't say anything about this or step into to arrest the leaker for violated their secrets?  Does that relate to Don's tweeted, "unexplained"?

My hope would be Don and KI  will make an announcement soon that project X blueprint was unexplained disappeared. They have to redesign plan B blueprint. :D

• Like 3

The blueprint isn't really a trade secret. It's public record ever since it was filed with the city. The "leakers" got the blueprint by walking into Mason city hall and asking for a copy of them, as many people here have done.

These blueprints absolutely and unequivocally represent our 2020 attraction. There's simply no way around it.

• Like 10

We have no idea how the original blue prints were obtained.  Could have been somebody working on the project, could have been somebody who stole documents from somebody working on the project, could have been somebody working for the city who had access to building documents at the first opportunity they could be obtained.  The 2nd, most recent and more complete sets were obtained 100% legally, thru the freedom of information act, you can walk into any building department for any municipality and request to view the plans for any active project.  If you want copies, there is typically a fee involved.  Once their part of the public domain, there's not much KI can do to hide them.  Those who obtain them from the city can not profit off their use (or likeness) legally.  Probably a very grey line if they were hosted on a website for a fee.

My hopes for any installation at KI, roller coaster or otherwise is that it meets the three "Rs"  Reliable, Repeatable, Recoverable.

Reliable is self explanatory, and its the main reason why you see so few Intamin coasters being built in North America these days.

Repeatable, is the ride worth ride again?  Is the food at a restaurant worth ordering again?  B&Ms generally fall into the repeatable category.

Recoverable, is the ride/restaurant/attraction going to bring enough profits to the park to recover their investment and generate profit long term?  Admittedly hard to define for a coaster, but I'm sure Cedar Fair, Six Flags, Disney, etc... have trusted formulas that they use to measure the impact of any attraction within their parks(s)

Tallest, longest, fastest, steepest, etc... does not make any coaster automatically "the best".  It does not automatically make any coaster the best investment.  This may or may not end up being your favorite coaster in the park, in the chain, in North America; however the % of their customer base that really cares about those titles is a very small fraction. Most of KI's patrons never attend any parks outside of Kings Island in any 5 year period, so it matters little to them if this coaster is taller, faster, steeper or longer than another coaster at another park in another part of the country, it only matters that its "better" than every other coaster at Kings Island.  Besides, what is 'best' is highly subjective.  Mystic Timbers is my favorite ride in the park, I know many disagree, and that's ok.  I'd rather have the "best" ride, not the tallest, longestst, fastest, etc..  We will have no clue if we will have the best ride for a long while still.  Odds are high that its not "the best" because the competition is stiff, that doesn't make it a waste of money.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, medford said:

Mystic Timbers is my favorite ride in the park, I know many disagree, and that's ok.  I'd rather have the "best" ride, not the tallest, longestst, fastest, etc..  We will have no clue if we will have the best ride for a long while still.  Odds are high that its not "the best" because the competition is stiff, that doesn't make it a waste of money.

MT is my favorite ride in the park as well. Would I like to see KI have the Tallest/Fastest/Longest title? Absolutely, but I will take a greater ride experience over a title. I sure hope that is the case with this new coaster.

• Like 14

This entire discussion led me to think of the KI of my youth and how my standard rotation was: Cobra, Racer, Vortex, Beast. All different, all very fun. In these days I heard tales of the Magnum up north and obviously wished we had one of that caliber. Nowadays, kids can run that same circuit (minus KC) with the addition of Banshee, DB, FoF and MT--same deal-all very different, and all within your grasp as long as you can snag a ride up to Mason. 

The sentiment that since KI has the room it somehow deserves to have coasters that surpass CP ignores that fact that because CP has less room, they necessarily need to fit as much coaster into every available acre. It also ignores the fact that visiting CP is an event for pretty much everyone who goes through the gates, as opposed to the regular summertime hangout spot that KI is for so many in this area. So I don't begrudge the powers that be from giving us a minor mega-coaster and preserving some of CP's aura. Quality is subjective anyway, and CP doesn't have anything like the newest handful that have gone into KI.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

FFS, hasn't it been confirmed by multiple people on here that they waltzed right up to city hall and requested said blueprints? 

I think he was talking about the original leaked image, the one by the anonymous account and was removed soon after. That particular image hasn't shown up in any of the official blueprints from the city. 

I'm on mobile right now and can't share that image, but I posted it in one of my recent posts in this thread. 

• Like 1

I distinctly remember this exact conversation around Banshee's construction that they somehow wouldn't surpass Raptor despite Raptor being one of the smaller B&M inverts, and, IMO, Banshee is much better than Raptor.  

Also, as nice as MF is in terms of ride experience, I think B&M can greatly improve upon it even if our giga in question is short on some stats comparatively speaking.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, HandsUp said:

The sentiment that since KI has the room it somehow deserves to have coasters that surpass CP ignores that fact that because CP has less room, they necessarily need to fit as much coaster into every available acre.

The reports that Cedar Point has less room than KI are greatly exaggerated.

Geographically speaking, both parks are the exact same size. 364 acres. Cedar Point has no shortage of land, and while it's true that KI has lots of undeveloped land, the truth is that not a ton of it is really usable. If you can't realistically get a reasonably flat footpath back to a particular tract of land, you can't use it for any attractions and it becomes irrelevant to this discussion. The only rides at KI that are built on the particularly rocky parts of the terrain are The Beast (which extends WAY far away from the nearest path) and The Bat, whose entry path is basically a giant bridge over the valley they built the ride into.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, medford said:

Mystic Timbers is my favorite ride in the park, I know many disagree, and that's ok.  I'd rather have the "best" ride, not the tallest, longestst, fastest, etc..  We will have no clue if we will have the best ride for a long while still.  Odds are high that its not "the best" because the competition is stiff, that doesn't make it a waste of money.

45 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

MT is my favorite ride in the park as well. Would I like to see KI have the Tallest/Fastest/Longest title? Absolutely, but I will take a greater ride experience over a title. I sure hope that is the case with this new coaster.

I'd drop this 2020 coaster in a heartbeat if CF said we'd be getting a coaster like Maverick instead. Maverick was easily the best coaster at CP until SV came along. Short, steep, and fast

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

FFS, hasn't it been confirmed by multiple people on here that they waltzed right up to city hall and requested said blueprints? 

I love everyone one of your posts. So full of years of built up frustration. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

There is no set pattern in how they have trademarked the names of rides.  Orion and Polaris both deserve our attention, since many names have been trademarked far in advance.  Banshee, Rougarou, and Valravn followed this pattern.  However, GateKeeper, Mystic Timbers, and Steel Vengeance were all trademarked the day after they were announced.

• Like 5

Wake me up when there is something interesting to discuss instead of going in circles over and over again how this coaster is going to suck because it isn't the tallest or longest giga.  Or how the plans can't be real because you are disappointed.  JFC.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

Wake me up when there is something interesting to discuss instead of going in circles over and over again how this coaster is going to suck because it isn't the tallest or longest giga.  Or how the plans can't be real because you are disappointed.  JFC.

Would be kinda nice if there were a thread just for talking about ride elements, homemade POVs, and construction updates. (And theming)

Then another thread for all the other stuff.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I'd drop this 2020 coaster in a heartbeat if CF said we'd be getting a coaster like Maverick instead. Maverick was easily the best coaster at CP until SV came along. Short, steep, and fast

I agree. But I think Maverick is the best ride at CP not Steel Vengeance imo I'd take Maverick any day over most coasters

• Like 5

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

We haven’t seen official renderings yet. The park is going to do what it will think it will get the best ROI for them. We don’t run the park nor do we see the the complete money aspect of it either.  

Exactly my thought.  I am guessing they have a team of PhDs and more focus groups than you could imagine trying to maximize their return on this investment.  I would assume they built the coaster to give returns and more longevity to the park.  Sure,  they could dump 100 million on a roller coaster but when they file for chap 11 and no one can ride any roller coaster at any of their parks we would be shouting “why on earth did they make it so big???”

I too remember doing the KC, Vortex, Racer, Beast circuit.  I am hoping for a green/yellow paint job on this one in homage to KC.   I am grateful the park is putting in such a seemingly nice coaster, whatever happens...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, teenageninja said:

Did you not see the construction mans digging holes in the picture????

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I have only had the pleasure of being on two, Maverick, and Cheetah Hunt.  But I am a firm believer that the Intamin Blitz coaster is their finest work.  Out of all the types of coasters Intamin has produced that is the only type of coaster that I wish Kings Island could get, and only part of the issues between Cedar Fair and Intamin that I hate, because the chances of Cedar Fair ordering one for any of their parks is extremely small. 

At this point I just hope that we get a Mack multi-launch at some point.  If you really believe in the KI is getting coasters 20 years after CP, which I do not, the next two coasters after MF were Wicked Twister, which I cannot see KI getting, and Top Thrill Dragster, again another ride type which I cannot see KI getting, that leaves us at Maverick.  I believe Kings Island will get a new coaster in 2023, the year after the 50th.  So its possible, but I doubt Cedar Fair will purchase another coaster from Mack either with the steel tariffs in place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BSBMX said:

Looks like they're starting in the storage track area. That transformer (blue circle below) remains and is in the new plans. Giga's getting built!

transformer.jpg

giga starting to be built yeeaaahhhh.jpg

This is exciting and look forward to see this great addition to the park being build and changing the skyline of Kings Island even better!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, BeastBabyDoll said:

This is honestly a stretch, but I'm still on my kick that this might be part of The Beast franchise in someway. 

This might have been pointed out (and probably even debunked) but I was reading this screenshot of the whole "number 5 is alive" thing and noticed the use of the word "paleontology". The coaster is going through the area that was previously Dinosaurs Alive right? Could this have been a little hint on where the coaster was going to be located  (which would mean the coaster WOULD have something to do with The Beast or at least have outpost theming)? 

This is probably stupid but I got myself really excited over this lol!

20190527_233426.jpg

Space Beast 301

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WhereDidBeastieGo said:

Exactly my thought.  I am guessing they have a team of PhDs and more focus groups than you could imagine trying to maximize their return on this investment.  I would assume they built the coaster to give returns and more longevity to the park.  Sure,  they could dump 100 million on a roller coaster but when they file for chap 11 and no one can ride any roller coaster at any of their parks we would be shouting “why on earth did they make it so big???”

That last statement makes me think of Geauga Lake/Six Flags Worlds of Adventure. While four major coasters in two years (Superman, Batman Knight Flight, Villain and X-Flight) is mind-blowingly awesome, it was also this over expansion that led to the death of that park.

• Like 6

I took another look at the original leaked image. I have a theory that anything in red is new or upcoming work. Lots of red near the new queue line and FOF for obvious reasons, and earlier in this thread, someone speculated that the theater was going to reopen, which could explain the red in that area. 

Which brings me to the red lines near the new antique cars. I haven't seen any of this new attraction in person, but is there a new wall or fence or something in front of nearly the entire front of that attraction? Or any signs of upcoming construction there?

EDC9F29D-05C2-45F6-B667-090C66458DBB.jpeg

• Like 4

• malem locked this topic