Decoding 2020

fryoj

6 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

Which brings me to the red lines near the new antique cars. I haven't seen any of this new attraction in person, but is there a new wall or fence or something in front of nearly the entire front of that attraction? Or any signs of upcoming construction there?

Those are the outlines of the two planters formerly in the midway and now incorporated into the attraction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:

FFS, hasn't it been confirmed by multiple people on here that they waltzed right up to city hall and requested said blueprints? 

Thank you, Ronny. 

My question is why are plans like this not found for every new coaster or even Kings Island's recent additions?

Do people not care as much to check their city hall? Is there some sort of wink and nod between the parks and the cities to keep them "tucked away" until after the announcement? Do parks not file them until after the announcement, (doubt it)?

Frankly the enthusiasts have sucked the life out of the 2020 announcement as even much of the local news have shown the plans. I can't imagine the park is pleased with all of this, but this might be the new norm unfortunately. 

I think I might sit out the next decoding/rumor coaster thread. We're far from the days of TR:TR when everyone knew next to nothing about what it was!

• Like 15

6 hours ago, homestar92 said:

The reports that Cedar Point has less room than KI are greatly exaggerated.

Geographically speaking, both parks are the exact same size. 364 acres. Cedar Point has no shortage of land, and while it's true that KI has lots of undeveloped land, the truth is that not a ton of it is really usable. If you can't realistically get a reasonably flat footpath back to a particular tract of land, you can't use it for any attractions and it becomes irrelevant to this discussion. The only rides at KI that are built on the particularly rocky parts of the terrain are The Beast (which extends WAY far away from the nearest path) and The Bat, whose entry path is basically a giant bridge over the valley they built the ride into.

They are not greatly exaggerated, that 365 acre figure you’re referring to includes the water park, hotels, Cabins, marina & dorms In reality Cedar Point is around 200 acres ish while Kings Islands 364 acres of developed land includes only an amusement park and water park. Yes Kings Islands Terrain becomes more difficult to use as you head back but it is by no means impossible to utilize. 730 ish acres is is still more then 365 acres.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Both Banshee and Mystic Timbers I believe had the plans shown to the media and such a while before the announcement, but not as early as this one was. I'm sure the park will keep this in mind a lot more.  for the next big project that blueprints likely will get out pretty early. Maybe they aren't surprised about this since they know the interest of the fans. Either way can't wait for teasing to start! 

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

Frankly the enthusiasts have sucked the life out of the 2020 announcement as even much the local news have shown the plans.

36 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

That's your decision on how you want to treat the announcement. 

I kinda agree with him. Now granted if nothing was revealed until the announcement people, namely enthusiasts, would loose their minds so I'm glad we got this dose of reality. 

Still, it's not as fun as it used to be. Speculating Banshee was the best. Nowadays, however, I have more fun speculating smaller additions because I know enthusiasts and the news media won't be swarming city hall looking for answers. 

Ignorance is bliss

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

Thank you, Ronny. 

My question is why are plans like this not found for every new coaster or even Kings Island's recent additions?

Do people not care as much to check their city hall? Is there some sort of wink and nod between the parks and the cities to keep them "tucked away" until after the announcement? Do parks not file them until after the announcement, (doubt it).

Frankly the enthusiasts have sucked the life out of the 2020 announcement as even much the local news have shown the plans. I can't imagine the park is pleased with all of this, but this might be the new norm unfortunately. 

I think I might sit out the next decoding/rumor coaster thread. We're far from the days of TR:TR when everyone knew next to nothing about what it was!

Most parks are not located in jurisdictions with the same requirements that Kings Island has.  So it’s uncommon for parks to have this exact kind of leak to occur.  Some communities do allow plans to be submitted privately, and they become public at a later date.

Why do we not receive similar documents for every little thing at the park?  I think it’s possible for certain types of construction.  But my understanding is that this is more detailed then actually required.  Which has kinda surprised me, I have wondered if this was done on purpose to try to limit the damage after the initial leak of the layout, because I doubt they expected just how negative the reactions have been.  Why else go from a partial document to the most detailed I have seen the park file.

Also other parks do suffer from similar but different issues, Sea World had an internal presentation leaked which showed their 2020 plans for every park in the chain last year.  Universal Orlando has an unofficial twitter account which automatically tweets every building/demolition etc permit they file.  Just this morning the fact that Six Flags America recently had soil samples taken in a location where an attraction was removed was reported.  Busch Gardens Williamsburg has to get height waivers and sometimes other permits which have repeatedly caused the entire plan to show up online while it’s still being designed.  Some parks have to get City Council permission and sometimes that has to be done in open meetings, which means the basically every major detail about new attractions gets reported before the park can finalize details.

Closer to home Cedar Point had Valraven spoiled by the local newspaper who reported the cost, manufacturer, and type of ride.  I am having trouble remembering the exact timing but I am confident it was long before the announcement and before enthusiasts had figured it out.  Whatever documents they got a hold of reported exactly how much was being paid for the ride itself but not construction.

Frankly this is the new normal, and it’s not just Kings Island, most of the major parks have similar issues.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KI Guy said:

I might be the cause of this.  I suggested checking with the appropriate office.  At the time, I was under the impression that it would be Warren County, and it turned out to be Mason, but nonetheless, I suggested just going and asking for the plans.  Pretty much anything that is being built requires filing of plans, which are public record, and cannot be denied to someone requesting them.  It just seemed obvious to go and ask, to me.  It's entirely possible people had thought of this on their own, but all the plans that leaked came after my suggestion.

Screenshot at May 28 23-07-37.png

Edit:  Ohio is somewhat unique in that building codes, and the subsequent permitting, is handled more locally than most states.  It's usually up to the county, the township or the city, to handle permitting and enforcement.  I speculate that no one thought to go and ask for plans before, because it's too obvious, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, KI Guy said:

Frankly the enthusiasts have sucked the life out of the 2020 announcement as even much the local news have shown the plans. I can't imagine the park is pleased with all of this, but this might be the new norm unfortunately. 

Truer words were never posted.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, SilentGloves said:

I might be the cause of this.  I suggested checking with the appropriate office.  At the time, I was under the impression that it would be Warren County, and it turned out to be Mason, but nonetheless, I suggested just going and asking for the plans.  Pretty much anything that is being built requires filing of plans, which are public record, and cannot be denied to someone requesting them.  It just seemed obvious to go and ask, to me.  It's entirely possible people had thought of this on their own, but all the plans that leaked came after my suggestion.

Screenshot at May 28 23-07-37.png

Edit:  Ohio is somewhat unique in that building codes, and the subsequent permitting, is handled more locally than most states.  It's usually up to the county, the township or the city, to handle permitting and enforcement.  I speculate that no one thought to go and ask for plans before, because it's too obvious, but I could be wrong.

That gets said every 20 or so pages in every decoding thread. This time people actually did it and got plans. You didn't cause anything. 

• Like 3

Just now, fryoj said:

That gets said every 20 or so pages in every decoding thread. This time people actually did it and got plans. You didn't cause anything. 

Hey, fair enough.  I'm actually pretty new to "decoding."  I don't ride coasters; in fact, they terrify me.  I just came upon this mystery and started posting.

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I have a question with the ease at which parks' blueprints can be obtained- why don't parks announce right after they file the blueprints?

Marketing and admissions I suppose. They want people to go to the park see the land cleared and get hyped. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I have a question with the ease at which parks' blueprints can be obtained- why don't parks announce right after they file the blueprints?

They are still trying to sell tickets and season passes for 2019. Announcing next year's attraction, at least one this big, would affect attendance this year.

Also, people would show up this year wanting to ride Lil Giga

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I have a feeling that there's an element of what we in Computer Science call "Security through Obscurity."  How many people are going to show up at City Hall and ask for plans?  Apparently, not many until recently.  I suspect after this incident you'll see a reevaluation of those policies.

• Like 3

The park wants the plans to be found, I can remember during MT decoding one of the hints by the park was something to do with what was being built could be found by those who knew where to look. It was shortly after that someone went to the city building and got the plans.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, kissfan4 said:

The park wants the plans to be found, I can remember during MT decoding one of the hints by the park was something to do with what was being built could be found by those who knew where to look. It was shortly after that someone went to the city building and got the plans.

Part of me feels like they did that so people would get a general idea for the coaster. Before the blueprints were discovered, people were thinking of things like a giga and other outlandish attractions. Seeing the blueprints hit people with a dose of reality.

This time around it happened too early

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kenban said:

I have only had the pleasure of being on two, Maverick, and Cheetah Hunt.  But I am a firm believer that the Intamin Blitz coaster is their finest work.  Out of all the types of coasters Intamin has produced that is the only type of coaster that I wish Kings Island could get, and only part of the issues between Cedar Fair and Intamin that I hate, because the chances of Cedar Fair ordering one for any of their parks is extremely small. 

At this point I just hope that we get a Mack multi-launch at some point.  If you really believe in the KI is getting coasters 20 years after CP, which I do not, the next two coasters after MF were Wicked Twister, which I cannot see KI getting, and Top Thrill Dragster, again another ride type which I cannot see KI getting, that leaves us at Maverick.  I believe Kings Island will get a new coaster in 2023, the year after the 50th.  So its possible, but I doubt Cedar Fair will purchase another coaster from Mack either with the steel tariffs in place.

I feel like if we get an RMC and a Mack/Intamin multi-launch our lineup will be all but complete. I guess the only thing left would be to get a Gravity Group family woodie instead of the PTC we currently have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silver2005 said:

It makes me wonder if that might change. Even though the blueprints were obtained legally, I can't imagine the park is happy about this and I'm sure to some degree this will change the way they do things in the future.

I think the best thing for them to do right now is lean into it. They could totally drop the whole "We don't comment on speculation" act (Zzzzz!) and start aggressively teasing this thing (or at least its theme). 

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced it a little earlier than planned. Do they have Montel on speed dial?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't think any of this has spoiled anything unless you've allowed it to. GP folks I've talked to are simply head over heels that KI is getting a coaster that will approach the height of the Eiffel Tower-that's it. It's easy to lose perspective when you're stuck in an echo chamber of disappointment over minutiae. Most normal people will be incredibly excited. 

Just because you opened your present early and didn't like it so much doesn't mean others will do the same. 

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, HandsUp said:

It's easy to lose perspective when you're stuck in an echo chamber of disappointment over minutiae. Most normal people will be incredibly excited. 

Just because you opened your present early and didn't like it so much doesn't mean others will do the same. 

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I e told my parents and a few friends that KI is getting a coaster that will drop you 300’. They find that absolutely insane. I myself am really excited, but that excitement has died down seeing everyone so upset about everything. I think too many of you expected way too much out of CF. They aren’t always going to try and build their next coaster as a giant record breaker to one up the previous one. You built this coaster up so much in your minds when you had nothing to expect. 

• Like 7

^^On Diamondback last evening after hitting the break run, I said "If you thought this was great, wait until next year." Then this girl turned around and asked what is next year. I then explained that we are getting a 300 foot coaster and she was like she's in. A 300 foot coaster will be talked about all over the area. The locals would go nuts over it.

• Like 11

Frankly, the echo chamber has had zero effect on me at this point. I'm loving the fact that we're getting another roller coaster. Period. I'm also old, have traveled for different coaster experiences before, and will continue to do so. I'm a thrill ride junkie and always have been, but I'm still not against taking my kids to Disney for a week, to spite their lack of great thrill. I'm also not against driving from Indianapolis up to Cedar Point, or down to Carrowinds to take in the bigger coasters. KI is my home park because I can be there in no time, spend a day, and then drive home, and they've always offered coaster experiences that are certainly exciting and fun. When folks started calling it Diamondback 2.0, I got excited, because if it's the air time experiences of Diamondback, but 15 mph faster? That's going to be awesome. 

• Like 15

• malem locked this topic