Decoding 2020

fryoj

I’m definitely hoping for a Maverick/Copperhead strike style coaster. Not sure if they’re the same style/manufacturer but they seem like it to me. Would love to see it in place of Congo falls and Timberwolf. Sorry for getting so off topic!! 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sorner said:

I’m definitely hoping for a Maverick/Copperhead strike style coaster. Not sure if they’re the same style/manufacturer but they seem like it to me. Would love to see it in place of Congo falls and Timberwolf. Sorry for getting so off topic!! 

Maverick was made by Intamin and Copperhead Strike was made by Mack.

If you want a good site that helps explains types and manufactures- RCDB.com

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Logan said:

I feel like if we get an RMC and a Mack/Intamin multi-launch our lineup will be all but complete. I guess the only thing left would be to get a Gravity Group family woodie instead of the PTC we currently have.

You are talking 2029 at the earliest for a third coaster to be built. There will be lots of changes to the park and ride technology before then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob539 said:

I have been a long time reader (lurker) first time poster. The "For Construction" plans are out for bidding right now. The plans I have seen recently on this thread are right. The hill is 300' 

How is one able to see the plans that are being bid on? Is that a public thing? Anything more you can share?

• Like 2

My only disappointment is that so much accurate information was accessible. I wanted an actual decoding type of thread with clever guesses...one that would keep us entertained for months. Now the biggest questions are the coaster’s name and colors. (I’m glad the park didn’t have to put those on the blueprints.)

This thread is kind of like reading a movie’s script before you go see it...but to each their own.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

So once the giga comes out, what coaster is everyone going to speculate and ask for next?

Easiest question yet...wing, flyer, dive, Mack multilaunch, and RMC Strata T-Rex!

Everyone is entintled to their disappointment or optimism, I myself hold both. People are just expressing themselves, and I think the poorest form of self-expression on display here is scolding others as though they're children and this coaster is a Christmas present. It's not. It's an investment by a major corporation with plans on file as a matter of public record. 

Let me illustrate something here... Leviathan's cost was $28M USD. Fury 325's cost was $30M USD. We're not talking about a phenomenal difference in cost for a considerably larger coaster. Obviously there are other factors, maybe site prep was somehow cheaper for Fury (DOUBT IT) or some initial R&D costs had been met. But when I say a minimal additional investment could have yielded a lot more impressive coaster, I mean it. Do I think this was a mistake from a business perspective? Absolutely. Am I also optimistic that B&M have made the best of the financial constraints and put together what might be their most action packed giga layout yet? Better believe it. 

I am very glad that a new B&M giga is being built and very sad at the (embarassingly small sum of) money and politics that stood in the way of Kings Island getting a giga that iterated on Fury in the same way Fury iterated on Leviathan. But like I said, I think B&M learned something designing those first two, and they just might have cooked up their best work yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't see the logic in expecting CF to build a coaster at KI thats bigger and better than ones at other parks. Not every coaster is going to be a record breaker, and not every coaster is going to be better than the last. I'm sure they could have invested 35 million into one giant giga for KI, but why? KI is already pulling in high attendance records, more so than Carowinds and KD. The only *seasonal* parks with more attendance are CP and CW. KI doesn't necessarily *need* a giant record breaking coaster. Only coaster enthusiasts with unrealistic expectations will be let down by this. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Joshua said:

It makes me wonder if that might change. Even though the blueprints were obtained legally, I can't imagine the park is happy about this and I'm sure to some degree this will change the way they do things in the future.

I think the best thing for them to do right now is lean into it. They could totally drop the whole "We don't comment on speculation" act (Zzzzz!) and start aggressively teasing this thing (or at least its theme). 

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced it a little earlier than planned. Do they have Montel on speed dial?

I bet if you asked the park if they were surprised the prints are out, they would more than likely not be.  With Steel Vengance, Tony Clark denied they were building a coaster standing right under the darn thing.  That was actually quite comical. I really liked his "we could be moving the carousel for all you know" comment.  

Point being, I'm sure that the park had probably figured on this happening.  Not going as far as saying they may have hoped it would.  After MT and the disappointment of the shed, maybe they don't want everyone to overhype this new ride.  If that's the case, its working. Certainly no lack of hatred for an unbuilt ride that, untill yesterday, hadn't even broke ground.

At any rate, people are talking and the park hasn't said a word.  They can still promote 2019 while letting enthusiasts and GP alike promote 2020 for them untill they are ready to do so.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

This thread is kind of like reading a movie’s script before you go see it...but to each their own.

True, but when you watch a movie, the stars make it what it is.  I have a feeling this star will most definately bring the blueprints to life. 

Sorry for the double post

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Kings Island lover said:

is the action theater reopening next year

I’m gonna go with no. I don’t see that opening ever again. I believe Dino’s alive was its last use. It’ll probably be used for haunt until it’s time to tear it down. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sorner said:

I’m gonna go with no. I don’t see that opening ever again. I believe Dino’s alive was its last use. It’ll probably be used for haunt until it’s time to tear it down. 

Not so fast on this one.  Kings Island's Action Theater is currently the only one which is SBNO.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them re-open it at some point, at least one half.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sorner said:

Really?! @teenageninja I feel so out of the loop. I need to get to more parks. I only go to KI, Holiday world and Universal lol. What are they showing in the other theaters? 

California's Great America had theirs completely updated with new seating, new projectors, and more effects. It's also got a live actor who interacts with what's happening on screen, and it's generally one of the neater experiences I've had in a Cedar Fair park.

I would love for a similar update to hit KI, however, if they are going to license something for it, I'd rather see a more current and relevant IP. If we're going with a video game IP, Tomb Raider seems like a cool one to use. They could call it Tomb Raider: The Ride :P

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sorner said:

I don't see the logic in expecting CF to build a coaster at KI thats bigger and better than ones at other parks. Not every coaster is going to be a record breaker, and not every coaster is going to be better than the last. I'm sure they could have invested 35 million into one giant giga for KI, but why? KI is already pulling in high attendance records, more so than Carowinds and KD. The only *seasonal* parks with more attendance are CP and CW. KI doesn't necessarily *need* a giant record breaking coaster. Only coaster enthusiasts with unrealistic expectations will be let down by this. 

Cedar Fair themselves has stated that they have a financial interest in building each ride bigger and larger then the last.  They have stated repeatedly that building record breaking coasters is their goal.  Here is a quote from the CEO Richard Zimmerman.

As has been Cedar Fair's Cornerstone, we go the extra mile to build record-setting roller coasters unique by feature and scale, and our 2019 additions to our coaster collection have carried on the highly regarded tradition.

I think Cedar Fair has made the argument over and over again, building each ride bigger and better then the last is important to their strategy.  Look at Valravn and then Yukon Striker for an example.  I would argue this coaster is on a scale that other companies are unwilling to match, but at the same time, I do not know of a single record this coaster could possibly be setting, and do not get me wrong I actually do not want the longest coaster in the world, Steel Dragon 2000 has a major problem with having to shut down in high wind situations.  Go on any discussions about Nagashima Spa Land and you will see complaints about the ride not operating.  The record that I assumed they were trying for was longest drop on a traditional lift, which would have only required another 20 feet, let Fury keep tallest traditional lift.  I am also a little disappointed in the shortness of the ride, I figured it would be around the 6,500 ft mark.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Okay, you got me there. Obviously they didn’t stick to their traditions for their 2020 rides, so I think it’s time to get over it. Sorry to come off rude but everyone is so negative about this. It is what it is, and it’s not a record breaker. 

Also, thanks for theater info. I had no idea that other parks still used them. Hopefully KI can do something with theirs! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Kenban said:

Cedar Fair themselves has stated that they have a financial interest in building each ride bigger and larger then the last.  They have stated repeatedly that building record breaking coasters is their goal.  Here is a quote from the CEO Richard Zimmerman.

I think Cedar Fair has made the argument over and over again, building each ride bigger and better then the last is important to their strategy.  Look at Valravn and then Yukon Striker for an example.  I would argue this coaster is on a scale that other companies are unwilling to match, but at the same time, I do not know of a single record this coaster could possibly be setting, and do not get me wrong I actually do not want the longest coaster in the world, Steel Dragon 2000 has a major problem with having to shut down in high wind situations.  Go on any discussions about Nagashima Spa Land and you will see complaints about the ride not operating.  The record that I assumed they were trying for was longest drop on a traditional lift, which would have only required another 20 feet, let Fury keep tallest traditional lift.  I am also a little disappointed in the shortness of the ride, I figured it would be around the 6,500 ft mark.

Depends on how far you look out for records to break. Take Steel Curtain for example. They were pumped with their 3 records...tallest inversion in the world! Most number of loops!...in North America. Tallest coaster!...in Pennsylvania. 

CF might be doing something similar here...tallest/biggest coaster!...in 87 of the 88 counties in Ohio.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think they are going to market it as the park's tallest, fastest, and meanest coaster. They'll most likely will market it as a giga since it has a 300 foot drop. As much as I think them marketing it as the tallest hyper coaster is a possibility, it doesn't make too much sense imo if they have a stat that could make it a giga. Plus they already have a hyper coaster. Imo if we get a second hyper, it should be by a different manufacturer (like RMC) and be a different model. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

California's Great America had theirs completely updated with new seating, new projectors, and more effects. It's also got a live actor who interacts with what's happening on screen, and it's generally one of the neater experiences I've had in a Cedar Fair park.

I would love for a similar update to hit KI, however, if they are going to license something for it, I'd rather see a more current and relevant IP. If we're going with a video game IP, Tomb Raider seems like a cool one to use. They could call it Tomb Raider: The Ride :P

That screen is amazing, but its actually not a projection, its a giant LED screen made up of modules similar to how a billboard is built.  I would love to see that screen show up Kings Island with a different show.  I actually thought the screen was better then the show.

Cedar Fair had a partnership with EA at the time, I believe only two attractions were built though, Mass Effect and Plants vs. Zombies.  I initially assumed we would see Plants vs. Zombies at more parks but it seems to have gone no where, but having done it several times I am not surprised, while I do enjoy the experience it is a chaotic mess playing, just way too many people shooting the same screen.

• Like 4

Off topic - but to address the Action Theater speculation... 

https://blooloop.com/theme-park-3d-technology/

I think, ultimately, 3D or 4D etc has never performed well because, well frankly, people aren't that thrilled by it.  Its temperamental, the visuals are often blurry or ineffective, what you see does not match what you feel, makes people sick, costly to maintain etc.  Until technology perfects the art, it just isn't going to take off.

In my experience, 3D technology has never worked.  My eyes do not see the dimension - no matter movie, ride, various glasses etc.  It all simply looks like a blurry  double exposure to me.  My most recent "try" at a virtual ride was "Battle for Eire" at BGW last Nov.  This is about the 4th or 5th incarnation of a 3D ride simulator they've put in the same show building.  Just like the others, it's "Meh."  As soon as the ride started, my visual unit (its like a smart phone attached to each seat of the ride that you snap into headgear you put on while waiting in queue) malfunctioned, and I had a big digital error message box in the center of my screen the entire ride.  Murphys law - and not fun - and not worth the wait - no matter how long.  Sucky experience.  But BGW keeps trying, trying, trying, trying over and over for 30 years now to make it work - it doesnt.

That having been said,  there is absolutely NO indication Kings Island has any intention of re-opening Action theater anytime soon.  I was literally right beside it two weeks ago - and there's nothing happening.  So I am not sure why people are now on this tangent.

Give me a 300' or 286' (or whatever height people are arguing over now) coaster over a crappy "3D" experience ANYDAY.

• Like 3

Seems weird to open the action theater the same year as a major coaster though, no? It would be a perfect thing to do during a year with small additions. Unless it's related somehow. Maybe an educational movie on constilations or a making-of video for the new ride?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

• malem locked this topic