Decoding 2020

fryoj

7 minutes ago, Joshua said:

This has been my experience with 3D. I hate when it is tacked onto IMAX, an otherwise incredible theatrical experience hindered by a subpar novelty. However, I did enjoy the D-BOX/motion simulator on Days of Thunder and I would like Action Theater to house some kind of permanent attraction beyond Urgent Scare. 

Most movies and things aren't filmed in 3d, the 3d effect is added after and most of the time looks terrible however, when something is actually filmed with a 3d camera, it looks quite amazing, a great example being Avatar.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

Ok here it is! Full layout based on blue print layout, high and low points, and supports! I was a little creative with the two turn arounds (reverse treble clef and ampersand / Apollo’s chariot helix) however this is most likely what our Giga will look like! 873BE184-2150-40FA-B936-DE49846C2EAE.png

Are we getting a POV soon? 

• Like 5

Just now, jcovelli said:

Most movies and things aren't filmed in 3d, the 3d effect is added after and most of the time looks terrible however, when something is actually filmed with a 3d camera, it looks quite amazing, a great example being Avatar.

I study film, so I'm aware of this. (The same is true for IMAX, as well.) Though better than 3D conversions, I still found legit 3D to be "hazy," as Shaggy put it. To me, the effect reminds me of those lenticular cards that came with the Independence Day and The Lost World VHS releases. It just feels artificial compared to a good ole' fashioned 2D shot with genuine sense of depth and contrast. But that's just me.

However, what got me excited about Avatar was the rig James Cameron used to program cinematic shots and camera movements in a virtual world. Seeing footage of it in action really blew me away at the time. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Turtlepower said:

Seems weird to open the action theater the same year as a major coaster though, no? It would be a perfect thing to do during a year with small additions. Unless it's related somehow. Maybe an educational movie on constilations or a making-of video for the new ride?

Action Zone got Invertigo and Drop Tower both in 1999.  The perfect time to put two rides or more in is when you create a new area or expand upon it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't know much about construction, but it looks like a footer or something was dug where I marked.

Those would be the round cages going in the holes. According to the foundation plan, they are supposed to pour concrete when the drill, so most likely they have concrete in them already. 

2 hours ago, jcovelli said:

Not sure where you guys are getting 3 months, or 28 days for concrete to cure. Firstly, Concrete never fully cures, It keeps curing forever. The 28 day thing is a myth and comes from concrete testing procedures where test cylinders need 28 days to cure before testing (and again that also varies with the mix). Mind you, a lot of smaller concrete skyscrapers are built 1 floor a day. If they needed 28 days between floors it would take... 28 times longer to build buildings. One World Trade Center went up at a rate of one floor every 6 days. In 28 days there was 4 new floors on top of concrete poured 28 days before, which was supporting A LOT more weight than these footers that have to hold up ~2000lbs of steel. 

They will let these cure for around 90 days. That's fairly standard with roller coasters. You can go back through the decoding 2014 thread to see when they poured footers versus when they erected steel. They were were pouring the station area in April/May and didn't start putting in supports till August. This isn't a floor where they leave the forms underneath the concrete while they keep moving up. This isn't about the weight the footer can support. These require anchor bolts that tie into the rebar cages. The supports that get attached to them are often angled and would cause vertical lift on the bolts. If you attached a support to those bolts in 7 days, it would pull the bolts. Maybe not completely out of the concrete, but any movement would likely result in tearing out the pier cap and starting over. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Joshua said:

However, what got me excited about Avatar was the rig James Cameron used to program cinematic shots and camera movements in a virtual world. Seeing footage of it in action really blew me away at the time. 

Off subject, but do you have a link to that? I'm too lazy to search it. Haha

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BruceWayneWins said:

Action Zone got Invertigo and Drop Tower both in 1999.  The perfect time to put two rides or more in is when you create a new area or expand upon it.

Right, I agree. Or like Carowinds and Dollywood both did this year. But what I was saying was 2 totally different projects, with different themes, in different areas. Like a space themes Giga in X-base and a Plants vs Zombies movie in Action Theater.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KevM86 said:

Green doesn't really scream space theme to me. I think something blueish

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Green screams alien theme. Depends on what kind of "space" theme KI going for.

• Like 3

I have not kept up-to-date with this at all, so I apologize if this has been mentioned.

Per that recreation posted up there ^ from the blueprints, this coaster looks real short...only one airtime hill before the turnaround? And then honestly, not that much after? It seems even shorter than Diamondback.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jdawg1998 said:

I have not kept up-to-date with this at all, so I apologize if this has been mentioned.

Per that recreation posted up there ^ from the blueprints, this coaster looks real short...only one airtime hill before the turnaround? And then honestly, not that much after? It seems even shorter than Diamondback.

That's pretty much been the rant/controversy of the whole thread after the blueprints were released.

Grab a baconator and have fun reading all 182 pages

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, Kenban said:

Most parks are not located in jurisdictions with the same requirements that Kings Island has.  So it’s uncommon for parks to have this exact kind of leak to occur.  Some communities do allow plans to be submitted privately, and they become public at a later date.

[paragraphs about other leaked rides]

Frankly this is the new normal, and it’s not just Kings Island, most of the major parks have similar issues.

I think this is a double-edged sword... when plans get leaked, everyone gets hype (or not lol), but at the same time, most of the mystery is gone.

Also, re: the Chinese hyper, it looks slow, but it has an interesting layout.

Third, whoever made that Polaris rendering from the blueprints, excellent job!

Finally, agreeing with the comment about the GP being blown away by this thing, I told someone at work the other day (around the time the plans were received by the city and posted on here) and they were like “a 300 foot coaster?”. So yeah, it’s gonna be a big deal. ^_^

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

That's pretty much been the rant/controversy of the whole thread after the blueprints were released.

Grab a baconator and have fun reading all 182 pages

Well, alright...I will try not to start that up again. Move on...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

So once the giga comes out, what coaster is everyone going to speculate and ask for next?

My guess is we get something in 2022 for the 50th anniversary.  If it weren't for that number I'd say 2022 is in no way happening.

Either way I feel the next likely thing is a non B&M coaster as it feels the most likely direction.  We have enough B&M time to mix it up after this coaster.  Unless its a Wing Coaster which offers a unique enough experience to stay with B&M.

Otherwise I think we're going with a RMC T-Rex, Intamin coaster of some sorts, maybe even a S&S - Sansei Technologies.

Either way that's a while off and I'm looking for to our new coaster being built now.  I'm confident it'll be an enjoyable ride.

• Like 6

Layouts for Levi and Fury, just to make comparisons to the layout @DustinTheNow posted. urbantoronto-2580-7211.jpg

Source

5.-Fury-325-layout.jpg

Source

I HATE that straight section of track right after the turnaround. Seems like wasted potential. BUT I actually think I like our gigas layout over levi and Fury. I like the tall hills, the turnaround is massive, and that helix/whatever that feature near the end is called looks awesome and intense, which Levi lacks something like that and Fury has something similar, but not quite. Don't be so quick to judge based off of length alone, and definitely not over lift hill height. Personally, I find Levi's layout looks incredibly boring and uninspired. Sure, it might be more twisty, but ours looks better to me. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

Layouts for Levi and Fury....

I HATE that straight section of track right after the turnaround. Seems like wasted potential. 

Levi is my boyfriend's name and I don't think I like it that people are shortening Leviathan to Levi, lol. 

Which coaster are you referring to with the section of straight track? None of the 3 gigas feature any straight track in their layout, but both Leviathan and Fury have drawn out curves after their turnarounds. That's one strength of Project X's short layout...it doesn't feature any 'filler' elements. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BruceWayneWins said:

My guess is we get something in 2022 for the 50th anniversary.  If it weren't for that number I'd say 2022 is in no way happening.

Very rarely do parks celebrate anniversaries with major investments. It's starting to look like CP isn't getting a coaster for their 150th anniversary (even though it isn't confirmed yet). I believe our 50th anniversary will be a throwback/celebration year.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, aj74205 said:

Levi is my boyfriend's name and I don't think I like it that people are shortening Leviathan to Levi, lol. 

Which coaster are you referring to with the section of straight track? None of the 3 gigas feature any straight track in their layout, but both Leviathan and Fury have drawn out curves after their turnarounds. That's one strength of Project X's short layout...it doesn't feature any 'filler' elements. 

I only shorten it to that because everyone else does haha. I am talking about the part I circled here:

asrdgh.jpg

I was going to do that but didn't want to post three pics at once. Oh well, I just hate seeing huge pictures in one post on a forum haha. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BruceWayneWins said:

Either way I feel the next likely thing is a non B&M coaster as it feels the most likely direction.  We have enough B&M time to mix it up after this coaster.  Unless its a Wing Coaster which offers a unique enough experience to stay with B&M.

Otherwise I think we're going with a RMC T-Rex, Intamin coaster of some sorts, maybe even a S&S - Sansei Technologies.

Either way that's a while off and I'm looking for to our new coaster being built now.  I'm confident it'll be an enjoyable ride.

I don’t think there is a chance that Kings Island gets another coaster that quickly after this Giga is built. 2025 seems much more likely when the next coaster would come than 2022, to me at least. There was a 5 year gap between Diamondback and Banshee.

Guest have been/ are spoiled in the fact that 3 major coasters will be installed in the last 6 years. How many other parks have done that? I can only think of a few.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

I only shorten it to that because everyone else does haha. I am talking about the part I circled here:

I was going to do that but didn't want to post three pics at once. Oh well, I just hate seeing huge pictures in one post on a forum haha. 

Lol. I'll just have to get used to it, I guess.

That part is not straight track, it's a banked curve leading into the speed hill.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, aj74205 said:

That part is not straight track, it's a banked curved leading into the speed hill.

Ohhhh, I see that now! Thank you. I definitely thought it was just a straight section into that hill. Can't wait to see that POV! I am super stoked for this coaster, it looks awesome and like it will pack a punch. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

asrdgh.jpg

What's the white structure by the station house that's not entirely in view?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aj74205 said:

That part is not straight track, it's a banked curved leading into the speed hill.

Looks pretty straight to me. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.59.50 PM.png

• Like 2

• malem locked this topic