Decoding 2020

fryoj

I know this isn't a fan favorite but....Since Intamin is somewhat making a come back at Universal. It could be another option for the 2023/2024 coaster. Just a thought but id wait to see how Hagrid's preforms. Also what about premier rides? they are supposedly the mfg for the new SeaWorld coaster.....We will see how that coaster looks. I am good on any other B&M's.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The Invertigo/Congo Falls side is another location I thought of. Maybe a zero g stall over the walkway?? 

For years I dreamed of a very large mega-style coaster to take the Timberwolf/Congo/Invertigo area and run alongside the north parking lot.  I always envisioned it like how Apollo's Chariot is placed at BGW, or how Goliath was placed at SFOG or how Leviathan turned out at Wonderland.

Guess that wont be happening ;-)

• Like 8

If you count water coasters, that is my prediction for the next coaster for KI.  Seems like a huge hole in the water park's lineup.

Outside of that, I think it mostly depends on the life expectancy of any other coasters (namely Invertigo and Vortex).  I think a Dive coaster would fit in great around Timberwolf/Invertigo.  A floorless B&M seems like a natural replacement for Vortex, should either of those be at the end of their lifespan (no idea, but they seem to be the most talked about)

Personally, I hope they get a wild mouse and/or a nice mid-height range coaster.  Something that the 44" or 46" crowd can ride, but is still fun for the 48" and above crowd.  That segment of KI has been neglected since FAAC was built (2001).  Something that feels like a set up from Woodstock Express, but doesn't require the height of The Racers, Beast, Vortex, etc.. (or something that someone too afraid for those rides can jump on).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Im Not predicting this by any means nor do I know if these rides are still made but a ride like Roller Soaker could be a good expansion idea for the water park. I remember that ride always looked so fun back in the day 

Vortex is an iconic classic roller coaster to Kings Island almost as much as the Raver and Beast. I hope it never goes because the skyline will never been the same without it but if/when it goes something special needs to replace it. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I know this isn't a fan favorite but....Since Intamin is somewhat making a come back at Universal. It could be another option for the 2023/2024 coaster. Just a thought but id wait to see how Hagrid's preforms. Also what about premier rides? they are supposedly the mfg for the new SeaWorld coaster.....We will see how that coaster looks.

I think Intamin isn't mentioned as much simply because they're not likely given the events of the last decade. I would LOVE to see Cedar Fair do business with Intamin again, especially considering the incredible expense and apparently somewhat underwhelming nature of Mack rides (specifically Copperhead Strike). I think a triple launch or some kind of blitz coaster would be a great fit for KI.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I know this isn't a fan favorite but....Since Intamin is somewhat making a come back at Universal. It could be another option for the 2023/2024 coaster. Just a thought but id wait to see how Hagrid's preforms. Also what about premier rides? they are supposedly the mfg for the new SeaWorld coaster.....We will see how that coaster looks. I am good on any other B&M's.

I would be all for an Intamin launch coaster coming to the park, but Cedar Fair seems to be working with Mack Rides now. In the future, I do see Cedar Fair eventually working with Intamin again as their rides are cheaper than Mack’s.

Also, part of me does not even see us getting a straight-up launch coaster anytime soon, from any manufacturer, because Cedar Point is so close, and their launch coaster is one their stand-out attractions. I could see a Mack Spinning Coaster, however, but I don’t feel like that would be as great... but that is my opinion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, glock703 said:

I don’t post often but live near Clermont Steel. Took a pic as I drove by. A lot of brown track outside 

DA2BF1FF-4F6A-4E7D-AE4E-712203C431FA.jpeg

Oh now that we basically know the layout, the next big news is the colors! If you see any track that is NOT brown, let us know! Haha!

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, aj74205 said:

I think Intamin isn't mentioned as much simply because they're not likely given the events of the last decade. I would LOVE to see Cedar Fair do business with Intamin again, especially considering the incredible expense and apparently somewhat underwhelming nature of Mack rides (specifically Copperhead Strike). I think a triple launch or some kind of blitz coaster would be a great fit for KI.

14 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I would be all for an Intamin launch coaster coming to the park, but Cedar Fair seems to be working with Mack Rides now. In the future, I do see Cedar Fair eventually working with Intamin again as their rides are cheaper than Mack’s.

Also, part of me does not even see us getting a straight-up launch coaster anytime soon, from any manufacturer, because Cedar Point is so close, and their launch coaster is one their stand-out attractions. I could see a Mack Spinning Coaster, however, but I don’t feel like that would be as great... but that is my opinion.

You guys are my new best friends. I just really want to see Intamin make a come back and be better then ever. With the Jurassic and Busch Gardens Williamsburg coasters rumored to be Intamin I am excited! I will say though Maverick is by far my favorite coaster on earth but if they can out do it I wouldn't be mad lol. Also kind of excited to see the SeaWorld Orlando coaster by Premier Rides.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Maverick44 said:

You guys are my new best friends. I just really want to see Intamin make a come back and be better then ever. With the Jurassic and Busch Gardens Williamsburg coasters rumored to be Intamin I am excited! I will say though Maverick is by far my favorite coaster on earth but if they can out do it I wouldn't be mad lol. Also kind of excited to see the SeaWorld Orlando coaster by Premier Rides.

Maverick is still my #1 too, even after Steel Vengeance. I am SO stoked for the new Jurassic coaster and the BGW coaster, it's exciting to see Intamin coming back to the states. I think it's safe to say Cedar Fair will be paying attention to how things shake out with those coasters.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, aj74205 said:

Maverick is still my #1 too, even after Steel Vengeance. I am SO stoked for the new Jurassic coaster and the BGW coaster, it's exciting to see Intamin coming back to the states. I think it's safe to say Cedar Fair will be paying attention to how things shake out with those coasters.

I agree. B&M's are nice and all but I am ready for a more thrilling coaster to be at KI. The giga will be amazing I am sure of it. I really would just like something more intense / forceful.

• Like 5

I hate to be “that guy” but just because Intamin is back in the US (kinda) doesn’t mean CF will bring them back in. Based on all the problems CF has had with their rides (TTD, Mav, I305, Shoot the Rapids, and Xcelerator, just to name a few) I don’t think we’ll ever see Intamin make a comeback to CF parks. They are too unreliable and frankly too unsafe, in terms of amusement park rides. B&M has clearly proved they are superior in these aspects (not pertaining to ride experience. That is a different topic for a different day). Mack, Gerstlauer, and RMC have also shown this more than Intamin. To me, Intamin has their chance and dropped the ball on multiple occasions. Their rides clearly are very flawed (I still can’t believe Shoot the Rapids didn’t derail sooner/caused more injuries based on the massive design flaw) and when you’re investing $20 million, you want it to work and to work right.

Nothing against the rides themselves (maverick is amazing as are other Intamins), but it just doesn’t make sense to go with the company that continually drops the ball over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A little off topic, but here's a location that I think would be nice for an RMC or something like that. I know it's a stretch, but I could see this area being used in the future. It would require relocating the picnic grove. An upside to this is you would get great views of the coaster from the train and the walkway to Soak City. A zero g stall over the train tracks would be kinda cool imo. I know this is unlikely, but this is an area that caught my attention. Plus it could be another rivertown expansion. The way they could do it is have the entrance in between the log flume and FAAC. I could also see them retheming the log flume back into rivertown since imo it doesn't belong in Planet Snoopy. Plus they could make it hidden like The Beast. 

2019-05-31_13.50.23.jpg

I don't like this idea personally. I like the transition of nothingness between the dry park and the waterpark. They don't need to compact things like CP does.

Also regarding intamin, they cost a crap ton of money to maintain. If Cedar Fair could justify the cost of maintaining intamin coasters then they would be working with them right now. There's a reason that chain hasn't worked with them since 2010.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I agree. B&M's are nice and all but I am ready for a more thrilling coaster to be at KI. The giga will be amazing I am sure of it. I really would just like something more intense.

I agree. I'm honestly very glad that B&M had the opportunity to deliver this trio of gigas after Cedar Fair's relationship with Intamin soured, and I'm cautiously optimistic for Project X to be some of B&M's best work. 

8 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

I hate to be “that guy” but just because Intamin is back in the US (kinda) doesn’t mean CF will bring them back in. Based on all the problems CF has had with their rides (TTD, Mav, I305, Shoot the Rapids, and Xcelerator, just to name a few) I don’t think we’ll ever see Intamin make a comeback to CF parks. They are too unreliable and frankly too unsafe, in terms of amusement park rides. B&M has clearly proved they are superior in these aspects (not pertaining to ride experience. That is a different topic for a different day). Mack, Gerstlauer, and RMC have also shown this more than Intamin. To me, Intamin has their chance and dropped the ball on multiple occasions. Their rides clearly are very flawed (I still can’t believe Shoot the Rapids didn’t derail sooner/caused more injuries based on the massive design flaw) and when you’re investing $20 million, you want it to work and to work right.

Nothing against the rides themselves (maverick is amazing as are other Intamins), butbit just doesn’t make sense to go with the company that continually drops the ball over and over again.

I hear you, and I was following along for all the mishaps you mentioned. I'm a B&M fan as much as I am an Intamin fan, and I recognize the strengths and weaknesses of both. You may well be right that Cedar Fair will never invest in another Intamin. I also think if they can demonstrate that they now have a reliable product that offers a superior ride experience to Mack at a much lower cost, Cedar Fair will take note.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

Nothing against the rides themselves (maverick is amazing as are other Intamins), but it just doesn’t make sense to go with the company that continually drops the ball over and over again.

I will respectfully disagree. I think they have run out of B&M styles of coasters. B&M hasn't changed anything to make us think they have new concepts. They are running out of options. I don't think anyone can say CF will never work with them again unless you have posted your source of that fact? If they show improvement with other USA installations I think CF will take notice of that. They have built some of the most iconic coasters CF has. So when the CEO comes out and says that they will never work with Intamin I will accept it. just because  you think they won't really doesn't mean anything to me sorry haha. Really? Gerstlauer lol CF has built 1 coaster from them lol. Don't count them out!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Until the cost of operating Intamin coasters goes down, don't expect any additions to Cedar Fair in the near future. Maybe smaller additions are a possibility but their operating costs are still outrageous.

My opinion on the matter is that there are probably a lot of park chains that still have a fairly bad taste in their mouth after the whole "we're not sure what is an acceptable number" thing... 

• Like 4

^^^In addition to the fact that Intamin has cost CF a LOT of additional time and money correcting their errors. CF was also put in a few bad situations in terms of publicity due to these errors by Intamin.

Again, nothing against the company and what they’ve done, but when you can buy coasters from other companies that are safer and more reliable, that can do the same things (element wise), and cost less to upkeep, there’s literally no reason to buy a large scale coaster from them. It all comes down to business. Would you rather pay more or less for a coaster that will bring in the same amount of people? How important is safety? Do you want this coaster to stay for 10 years or 30 years? All are major decisions companies have to make. CF used to rely on Intamin, but as I mentioned Intamin has left a very bad taste in CFs mouth.

Does this mean CF will never work with them again? No, I probably shouldn’t have said that before. However, the possibility of CF working with Intamin again at this point is practically 0. Intamin really has to improve to have a chance imo (and by “prove” I do not mean to become rmc, I mean to focus on safety and reliability)

• Like 4

Yet other MAJOR parks are adding their coasters lol

Also don't be shocked if Premier makes a come back to CF parks. With the SeaWorld coaster.....seems like it will be pretty darn cool.

Yes... but they’re not CF. CF is their own entity that makes decisions based on what they believe is best, not on what other companies do. Look at the business decision just for CF and SF. Two similar large chains with two very different business decisions. Just because one company decides to try Intamin doesn’t mean they all will.

Also, what SeaWorld coaster do you happen to be talking about? The only SW premiers I can think of are Sky Rocket II models.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

Also, what SeaWorld coaster do you happen to be talking about? The only SW premiers I can think of are Sky Rocket II models.

Possibly the tire propel launch one in San Antonio. That one's pretty amateur, even for Intamin standards so I would hardley consider that a groundbreaking feat

But while were on the topic of groundbreaking feats, to be fair to be Intamin, the only other company to make launched coasters 80+ mph is S&S. Last I checked, they are no stranger to issues/failed rides either...

For all the talk of Volcano being a so-called long term 'failure', if we're talking KD history, Hypersonic actually would be far and away their most flawed ride.

(and if we're talking Paramount's four most ambitious projects in SOB, TR:TR, Volcano, and Hypersonic - Volcano outlived them all)

On the topic of TTD, and KK, it is true that these far and away are some of the most, if not most expensive coasters to operate ever built. But like I said, they're the only ones willing push the limits that far to begin with. Of course TTD is going to be significantly less reliable and cost way more to operate than.....Rougarou, GateKeeper, Corkscrew or basically any other coaster with a simple chain lift.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DustinTheNow said:

Oh now that we basically know the layout, the next big news is the colors! If you see any track that is NOT brown, let us know! 

Everything out front was brown besides a long support that was rusting. Here's a shot down the side. Happened to be in the area yesterday.

20190530_152147.jpg

(Click on it to make it clearer.)

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I feel like if it was a 2020 coaster from B&M we should see track being made already or very soon?

I bet it's the track that's rusting or all the way in the back. Lot's of room behind the facility. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

My guess is 2024 will be our next coaster, but I've been wrong before. My guess is an RMC or a Mack double launch. But I could see us getting more B&Ms since the plant is only a few miles away. 

Please no.  We need some variety.  I love B&M but it's time to mix it up some.

• Like 6

• malem locked this topic