Decoding 2020

fryoj

15 minutes ago, mikejenkins1 said:

just curious, but will this coaster break any records (height, length...)?

It'll break park records (tallest, fastest, and meanest coaster at Kings Island.)

Also I was at the park tonight and it was pretty busy tonight. I went up on the Eiffel Tower and saw a piece of equipment and a truck over by that tree in the Dino's area that's right in the middle of the clearing where the dig site was. Maybe trimming or getting ready to chop it down. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Maintaining line of sight with the drone from a parking lot you have permission to fly out of might be difficult. 

Pull off the side of the road where one would park to take photos with a regular camera. Take off from the road, therefore you would either be on a county road, or state road (not real familiar with the area) if I were, I would take a drive up there and fly my drone. I live on the west side, and have no idea where CSF even is. Well other than the obvious, in Clermont County.

19 minutes ago, fryoj said:

This is about drones. The park has made it clear that drones are not allowed. Due to the crowds, it would also be against FAA rules to fly it over the park. CSF would not have those restrictions. 

Oh I'm just saying about a drone flying CSF not KI of course lol

1 hour ago, DiamondBanshee said:

If we were to have proof of taking off and landing from an appropriate, legal spot, and the pictures are taken from, a neutral, legal airspace, would we be able to post pictures and videos?

If you can provide that proof to a moderator, then yes. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Was it all being painted one solid color? Also, would love to see some pictures of this!

I do not know if they are putting on a bottom color like fury , but I will try to get pictures tomorrow !

15 minutes ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I like those 2 shades of blue a lot! Hopefully we can get some pictures soon!

I will try to get them tomorrow! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McSalsa said:

Using a Youtube Doubler, I can vouch: if this recreation is anywhere near accurate, both the 2020 KI Giga and Leviathan have the exact same length (in time) from their drop to when they hit the final brakes:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqIrBVVxg_XE&start1=105&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dey2PeEL12W0&start2=58&authorName=Polaris+vs+Levi

Edit: Just re-watched the doubler, and the KI Giga was a second or so longer. Might just be a timing error. Still, a mere second or two longer is "about the same length" in my book.

I had done a little bit of side by side watching myself between the KI coaster and Leviathan/Fury. Doing the same as you did here results in the KI coaster ending about halfway through the second to last camelback on Fury. That's the quantity.

I haven't ridden Leviathan so I can't comment to the quality. I still think the KI giga could be higher quality than Fury, but a lot will depend on that helix. I look at the KI giga as 3 acts: 1) The first drop and banked left turn. It's 85 feet more drop and 10 mph more than Diamondback, leading into a 2nd hill that's 10 feet shorter than DB's 2nd hill..... at a slight left turn and sideways. It'll be a lot of fun. 2) The turnaround and speedhill. We'll see how that ascent into the turn feels, but after that we're looking at about 194 feet down (third largest coaster drop in the park once this is built), curves to the right, then to the left, then into the 60 feet tall speed hill and out of your seat. 3) Final camelback, helix, and finish. This is the crucial element, in my opinion. The final camelback is about 140 feet high (similar to Diamonbacks second hill at 131 feet), so it should have good airtime. Then into the helix.... On that video, it looks so-so, but how will it feel? If there were ever a spot to incorporate near-miss head choppers, this is it. If it's a disorientating rush that makes you keep your hands down in fear, the ride as a whole will be a big winner. If it just feels like it's burning off speed to get into the brake run then it will still be good, but not one of the best. The presence of nearby foliage throughout almost every drop of this ride will increase the feeling of speed, like what MF has. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

It looked like the top part of the ejector speed hill like in the most recent renderings, I’m not that much of a professional but I’m pretty sure it was giga track 

AA052224-EF73-4755-9FBA-0D0C3F60038E.jpeg 

oh I meant which sided as in the top or bottom! Thanks for checking it out!

• Like 2

Diamondback has a Kohler Diesel Generator situated nearby. Several other rides have a similar one. However, these are rarely used. In the event of a power outage—so long as the trains are in a normal stopped locations with proper accessibility—they’d most likely just evacuate the guests and wait for power to be restored before firing up a generator. 

I suspect that to be a mandatory safety item. Redundant power, since everything on the ride is controlled by a PLC. I doubt anyone has to do anything for it to come on. Automatic transfer switch sees the power waver, fires up the genset and then transfers the ride to alt power.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

I suspect that to be a mandatory safety item. Redundant power, since everything on the ride is controlled by a PLC. I doubt anyone has to do anything for it to come on. Automatic transfer switch sees the power waver, fires up the genset and then transfers the ride to alt power.

It's not.  Most rides at Kings Island don't have generators. 

It's not.  Most rides at Kings Island don't have generators. 

I’m not concerned about flat rides. They always just end up stopping.

How many of the coasters do? If they use proxes and reverse proxes, then the system can’t tell where the coaster is without power.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

I’m not concerned about flat rides. They always just end up stopping.

How many of the coasters do? If they use proxes and reverse proxes, then the system can’t tell where the coaster is without power.

All of the rollercoaster in the park use inductive proximity sensors, pepperl & fuchs to be exact and you’re correct no power and they can’t tell. The major coasters are ran by SLC500 PLC controller from Allen Bradley. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Wikipedia claims it 299' drop. As well as I-305! 

Yes, Wikipedia, the greatest of all sources. (/sarcasm)

Hint: If you couldn't tell by the sarcasm tag, Wikipedia isn't a good site to source, so much so that college professors will auto-fail papers for listing them as sources.  

Anyways, I'm not here to go on about the ride, just a post to break up the tension of the thread.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled decoding thread.

silver2005, crossthreading. 

• Like 3

All of the rollercoaster in the park use inductive proximity sensors, pepperl & fuchs to be exact and you’re correct no power and they can’t tell. The major coasters are ran by SLC500 PLC controller from Allen Bradley. 

I figured as much. If you know what you’re looking for, you can see many inside the coaster stations when they’re empty.

Now to ask the previous question- how many coasters have backup generators with automatic transfer switches, or at least have backup battery banks or large capacitors?

• malem locked this topic