Decoding 2020

fryoj

19 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I would think that the all the braking systems would be designed to be closed when a ride loses power. It takes power to hold the brakes open. 

You are correct.

• Like 3

In a roundabout way, it’s power. I think the brakes are pneumatic, so it’s actually air that makes them function correctly. Some series of valves, like a Mac stack into the PLC is what probably makes it work the way it does.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Oh the top

E04053A5-C7AD-478F-8110-F68384284120.jpegRoller Coaster layout based on latest possible color “leak”! I honestly think this color scheme looks really good. The only note I’d have is this coaster is looking less and less “space themed”  with this color scheme.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

In a roundabout way, it’s power. I think the brakes are pneumatic, so it’s actually air that makes them function correctly. Some series of valves, like a Mac stack into the PLC is what probably makes it work the way it does.

Depends on the ride model (@pkiridesmaint please correct me if I’m wrong), while most are pneumatic, I don’t think Diamondback/Banshee’s are? Or they may be pneumatic, but are configured differently than “pinch brakes” seen on rides like Beast and Racer. 

I also believe that the Arrow coasters (AE/Vortex) don’t have default position of closed. I.E. in some areas of the ride (stations I believe), the trains have to be chained up at night because the air drains from the brakes (by design) and is no longer holding the train in place. That’s what I remember, but again @pkiridesmaint—feel free to correct. 

I’m also not sure that the generators automatically kick on? By default, the coaster’s will come to a stop at their prescribed brake locations, but even if a generator were to start up, the ride does not continue operating as normal. In the event of a power outage, they’d be more likely to evacuate the ride rather than get it running again. 

Not to get way too off topic, but I’m not sure which rides have generators. I know Diamondback has the Kohler that’s visible by its lift hill. I believe Flight of Fear has one too. The Crypt/Tomb Raider had one as well. 

• Like 1

Depends on the ride model ([mention=1458]pkiridesmaint[/mention] please correct me if I’m wrong), while most are pneumatic, I don’t think Diamondback/Banshee’s are? Or they may be pneumatic, but are configured differently than “pinch brakes” seen on rides like Beast and Racer. 

I also believe that the Arrow coasters (AE/Vortex) don’t have default position of closed. I.E. in some areas of the ride (stations I believe), the trains have to be chained up at night because the air drains from the brakes (by design) and is no longer holding the train in place. That’s what I remember, but again [mention=1458]pkiridesmaint[/mention]—feel free to correct. 

I’m also not sure that the generators automatically kick on? By default, the coaster’s will come to a stop at their prescribed brake locations, but even if a generator were to start up, the ride does not continue operating as normal. In the event of a power outage, they’d be more likely to evacuate the ride rather than get it running again. 

Not to get way too off topic, but I’m not sure which rides have generators. I know Diamondback has the Kohler that’s visible by its lift hill. I believe Flight of Fear has one too. The Crypt/Tomb Raider had one as well. 

I figured the redundant power would be enough to get trains safely back into brake runs and stations to unload them. It has to be safer and easier than unloading on a lift hill and needing safety gear for each passenger.

1 hour ago, DustinTheNow said:

E04053A5-C7AD-478F-8110-F68384284120.jpegRoller Coaster layout based on latest possible color “leak”! I honestly think this color scheme looks really good. The only note I’d have is this coaster is looking less and less “space themed”  with this color scheme.

Yeah I’m starting to get more of an air force vibe 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

I figured the redundant power would be enough to get trains safely back into brake runs and stations to unload them. It has to be safer and easier than unloading on a lift hill and needing safety gear for each passenger.

Nope, in fact, in 2010, there was a massive power outage at the park and I had to help evacuate Congo Falls (as I was in Park Services at the time, not the rides department).  

@Gordon Bombay the Arrow coasters brakes, if I recall correctly, use an accumulator to maintain air pressure in the pneumatic brakes.  The accumulator could have a failure which would cause the brakes to lose their holding power.  They use air pressure to close the brakes, instead of open them.  Not sure how that is handled on the controller side.  Those are the only coasters I'm familiar with though.

15 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

PSA: It is very hard to know if a person is trespassing with drone footage, making those types of photos almost impossible to moderate. If there is any drone footage posted that we cannot clearly tell it was taken from a neutral location we will not host them and will be removed.

I live in the house a couple buildings down from CSF, if I can get my hands on a drone I can get some pictures

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KIdurbin said:

I live in the house a couple buildings down from CSF, if I can get my hands on a drone I can get some pictures

Just some pics from the street would be great at this point. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

Any pictures of CSF would be great! Look for the blue track lol ... if they painted track yesterday, it would make sense to leave it outside today. (Probably why the garage was open) 

I'm at the park at the moment, I'll drop by there later today

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DustinTheNow said:

I'd be kinda surprised if they went with this color. Sky blue isn't gonna really pop against the... well... skyline. One would think part of the appeal of a massive roller coaster is seeing it stretch high into the sky. Lot harder to do when it's camouflaged.

The dark blue or some sort of bold/neon green would seem to fit the suspected space theme better and would certainly be more of an eye-catcher from across the park (or from out on I-71).

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

Let’s get those pics!

I just posted your latest layout (with the blue color scheme) on Reddit, and it's actually making people change their minds about the coaster. Everyone seems to love it!

Even if it's short, it'll still have the same impact on attendance as a dive coaster would, and it'll definitely have the better reception among enthusiasts.

• Like 2

• malem locked this topic