Decoding 2020

fryoj

Found an interesting typo in the original blueprints. The Y coordinate for the L2-1 pier is like 2000 feet off from what it's supposed to be. What's weird is that it's not exactly 2000' off (like a silly typing mistake), but a number around 2000'. I'll try to get to a closer number in a bit after I lay out these points. I can't imagine these numbers were typed into this spreadsheet, but also I can't imagine it being that far off in CAD and not be noticed. The is the only value in the 6k range, with only a handful in the 5k range, most being in the 4k range. Plotting out the points in X/Y shows that 6808.6177 is way out in left field, so again not sure how it wasn't noticed by the engineer... just took another engineer to notice it!

EDIT: (strike-through above) Laying out the rest of the pier coordinates of the lift, and drawing a straight line from the L16D-1/L16D-2 combo to L2-2, and plotting the X point of L2-1 and making it coincident with the line, gives me a Y coordinate of 4808.6175, which is very close to being 2000' off from the 6808.6177 value reported in the blueprints. So yea, I'd say the value shown in the blueprints is exactly 2000' off from actual. This doesn't change anything, just found it interesting. 

typo.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

Hey! I’m gonna be working on a video tonight breaking down the elements of the coaster using my no limits model. Anything specific you guys want talked about? Anything that would be interesting to you? 

A little while ago people were talking about house after the helix on the blueprints, it showed a dashed line and people thought it could be a tunnel? Could it be?

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

Hey! I’m gonna be working on a video tonight breaking down the elements of the coaster using my no limits model. Anything specific you guys want talked about? Anything that would be interesting to you? 

I can’t think of anything of the top of my head, but I am looking forward to seeing your video!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

The very last drop is really short- its more of a dip. I'd like that talked about

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

You'll probably already hit these points the best you can anyway, but I'm particularly interested in the hill after the first drop (speed? G-forces? Any possibility of being slightly overbanked?) and the helix (again, speed? G-forces? Any air time at the top of it?)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

A little while ago people were talking about house after the helix on the blueprints, it showed a dashed line and people thought it could be a tunnel? Could it be?

The dashed lines were a misread on my part (and maybe others). There are several instances along the track's path with dashed lines, even in places where tunnels wouldn't realistically make sense. If you look close, there are dashed lines all over the blueprints. That's not to say there won't be a tunnel, it's just that the blueprints available to us right now do not suggest any tunnels. 

I laid out all piers from the first blueprints in CAD, minus the 5 piers for the maintenance stairs and the smaller piers around the lifthill backbone beginning (basically, I have included all piers related directly to the track and transfer/storage area). All piers are located X/Y accurately based on the blueprint coordinates, and all piers are diameter- and height-accurate, again from the blueprints. There are 75 piers here total. These 75 piers alone will use approximately 922.9 tons of concrete (using average density of 145 lbs/ft^3). That's insane, and that's just the piers in this particular section of the coaster, not even counting the footings (I plan on doing those later tonight or tomorrow). 

Below are some pics for those interested. 

piers overview.jpg

drop piers.jpg

turnaround piers.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I finished adding footings to the piers I created in CAD last night. Again, all piers and footings are accurately sized and located based on the blueprint coordinates—no estimating going on here. 

The 75 piers and footings in total will use roughly 766 cubic yards of concrete, nearly 1500 US tons! Each concrete truck holds around 9.5 cubic yards, so just for this area of the coaster, around 81 truckloads of concrete will be required (only considering the piers/footings for the coaster structure itself...nothing is being estimated for queue line, footings for buildings, etc.). Also I’m not considering the rebar within the concrete nor the grout pockets that’ll be formed within the footings... these I’m going to say are negligible at this scale.

Below are some updated pics of what I have in CAD. Anyone, feel free to reach out to get size/length/whatever else estimates based on this CAD data—this data will be way more accurate than any NL recreation since it’s pulling directly off the blueprint coordinate and dimensions. 

Overview:

footing overview.jpg

Drop:

drop footing.jpg

Brake run:

brake footing.jpg

Station and beginning of lift:

station lift footing.jpg

Transfer/storage:

storage transfer footing.jpg

Turnaround:

turnaround footing.jpg

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

The 75 piers and footings in total will use roughly 766 cubic yards of concrete, nearly 1500 US tons!

Thanks @BSBMX for taking the time to lay these out!  While we normally only see what is going on at the surface and think "wow that's a big concrete block", there is a lot of support underneath to handle all of the various loads.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fye Coasters said:

So here are the clips i took last night. they are all in a playlist 

That's some impressive zoom action there, guessing it was a little windy up on the tower?  Thanks for posting/sharing so those of us who can't get to the park can see!

This confirms that actual box footings are getting formed on top of the piers.  Good progress so far!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Maddog said:

That's some impressive zoom action there, guessing it was a little windy up on the tower?  Thanks for posting/sharing so those of us who can't get to the park can see!

This confirms that actual box footings are getting formed on top of the piers.  Good progress so far!

Thank you! Yes i love to zoom in on stuff like that lol. We will be back up there Thursday, Sat and Sunday for more updates! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Watch this video, he says at the beginning of the video that there is already a piece of track at Kings Island?

source-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mm9OmMYrlDk

ADC505FF-F159-476B-AA10-6DB9ADE2D3DF.png

Oh brother.  Enthusiasts, enthusiasts, enthusiasts.... :rolleyes:

I'll wait for official news from the park (*and what I see with my own eyes.)

• Like 8

If by vertical construction he means piers poured into the ground, rebar sticking up and perhaps footings poured on top of the piers, then yes, vertical construction has started.  But if vertical construction means what it typically means and that supports beams are standing upright, well no way in hades that is happening this week.

He is correct that there is track at KI, miles and miles of track on several different coasters.  Some metal, some wooden, one even hybrid.  There's railroad track, coaster track and even track for "cars" to travel around in at least 3 different spots

• Like 5

Press 'f' to doubt, lol. In the pics, the underside of the track is visibly blue, and probably just reflecting the sun. Also, the construction timeline for this coaster may be different, but Fury and Leviathan both started going vertical around late September/October. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Oh brother.  Enthusiasts, enthusiasts, enthusiasts.... :rolleyes:

I'll wait for official news from the park (*and what I see with my own eyes.)

Wait.  If you can't trust some dude in his kitchen then who can you trust?

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

I was at the park earlier. (sorry, no pics) There was a slight bit of additional clearing happening.  They were taking down some trees at the 'northern' edge of the current clearing. Right in the ravine where the bottom of the drop will be.

Perhaps they didn't clear enough the first time?

Edited by FoolCrzy
typo
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, BSBMX said:

Found an interesting typo in the original blueprints. The Y coordinate for the L2-1 pier is like 2000 feet off from what it's supposed to be. What's weird is that it's not exactly 2000' off (like a silly typing mistake), but a number around 2000'. I'll try to get to a closer number in a bit after I lay out these points. I can't imagine these numbers were typed into this spreadsheet, but also I can't imagine it being that far off in CAD and not be noticed. The is the only value in the 6k range, with only a handful in the 5k range, most being in the 4k range. Plotting out the points in X/Y shows that 6808.6177 is way out in left field, so again not sure how it wasn't noticed by the engineer... just took another engineer to notice it!

EDIT: (strike-through above) Laying out the rest of the pier coordinates of the lift, and drawing a straight line from the L16D-1/L16D-2 combo to L2-2, and plotting the X point of L2-1 and making it coincident with the line, gives me a Y coordinate of 4808.6175, which is very close to being 2000' off from the 6808.6177 value reported in the blueprints. So yea, I'd say the value shown in the blueprints is exactly 2000' off from actual. This doesn't change anything, just found it interesting. 

typo.jpg

I wanted to follow up on something I found last night. To recap, plotting these X/Y dimensions shows that the Y value for the L2-1 pier was waaaay off in left field. I determined it was exactly 2000' off, but today I wanted to visualize just how much it was off. I think it was just a flub whenever this coordinate spreadsheet was typed up, but thought it was worth mentioning. Anyways, here's how far that point would have been off from the rest of the map (the entire coaster layout is in the bottom of the image).

off.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

I wanted to follow up on something I found last night. To recap, plotting these X/Y dimensions shows that the Y value for the L2-1 pier was waaaay off in left field. I determined it was exactly 2000' off, but today I wanted to visualize just how much it was off. I think it was just a flub whenever this coordinate spreadsheet was typed up, but thought it was worth mentioning. Anyways, here's how far that point would have been off from the rest of the map (the entire coaster layout is in the bottom of the image).

Which puts it almost in the river. 

Probably wanted to make sure that footer is especially stable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• malem locked this topic