Decoding 2020

fryoj

10 hours ago, presto123 said:

Anybody ever got stuck at top of a lift hill? Our train once stopped at the top of Magnum XL-200 and we sat there for what seemed like 5 minutes. Gotta say I was getting nervous at the prospect of walking down the lift hill on those little steps. I also didn't know about anti-rollback features at the time. Kind of scary. lol

I've walked up the lift hill of Vortex pretty much to the top when I was working the ride.  I've walked up the block brakes of FoF multiple times.  Been on lifthill 2 of The Beast.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ethancoaster said:

My planet coaster recreation was a little over 5400 feet, and several of the recreations have pegged it between 5200-5500 feet. So somewhere in that range.

If true, that means we won't have the shortest giga in length. I-305 is shorter in length (5,100 feet). So basically in length we are between I-305 and Leviathan. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sikkinixx99 said:

I really like this video by Duffy''s Designs I would love 330 ft drop 99 mph

The video itself is pretty cool, but this is not the most accurate recreation as the video claims. First, yes the height is still up in the air, but not the drop height. Drop height is 301, no question about it. 

Second, there are two extra hills in this that are not in the blueprints. Whaaa?

• Like 9

While on Vortex today the ride op asked, "Does anyone know what we're getting next year?" Me and one other person yelled "Giga!" Then he said something along the lines of, "Let me put it this way. It'll be 300 times better than Firehawk." I think he joked that it would be a wavepool too. Fun moment.

It was exciting to see the recent progress in person. I am so ready for this coaster!

• Like 7

Hey Everyone. I found I think the most realistic re-creation on the internet yet! ( From the blue prints ) 

It is definitely the best and shows the ride much better than the previous people's did. 

Yes this was posted earlier and is nothing like what the blueprints detail. It’s a good dream coaster but hopefully nobody believes this is real and gets their hopes up.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Yes this was posted earlier and is nothing like what the blueprints detail. It’s a good dream coaster but hopefully nobody believes this is real and gets their hopes up.

"Most accurate" -- Takes creative liberties galore :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, WhereDidBeastieGo said:

Does anyone know if B&M ever implements the type of propulsion with their lift hill like we see on MT?  To me it seems like the hill on MT is more powerful than another of the same height because it kind of flings you over the top.

Have they? No, they have only used standard chain lift hills, whereas what you're talking about is a cable lift. I think Intamin is the only big one in the industry to do cable lifts (though, Vekoma uses cables on some of their Boomerang models, but that's kinda different in my eyes). 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, WhereDidBeastieGo said:

Does anyone know if B&M ever implements the type of propulsion with their lift hill like we see on MT?  To me it seems like the hill on MT is more powerful than another of the same height because it kind of flings you over the top.

I think he is talking about a variable speed lift...

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, WhereDidBeastieGo said:

I think you're referring to how they use the variable frequency drive- it slows you down at the top of the lift so you can hear "Don't... go in... the shed..." then speeds back up to send the train over the lift. I think it's that action of speeding up so quickly that makes you feel like you are being flung over the top. 

EDIT: To answer the question, yes. B&M uses ABB DC motors on their lifts, coupled with a DC Drive. You can really notice it traveling up Banshee's lift, if the previous train has not cleared the block yet, the lift will slow down until the train is safely in the brakes. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I think you're referring to how they use the variable frequency drive- it slows you down at the top of the lift so you can hear "Don't... go in... the shed..." then speeds back up to send the train over the lift. I think it's that action of speeding up so quickly that makes you feel like you are being flung over the top. 

EDIT: To answer the question, yes. B&M uses ABB DC motors on their lifts, coupled with a DC Drive. You can really notice it traveling up Banshee's lift, if the previous train has not cleared the block yet, the lift will slow down until the train is safely in the brakes. 

It's funny you mention that, my wife's first ever ride on Banshee, she said "wow, this thing flies up the hill" 

• Like 4

I was at the Island last night and saw that they had cleared out farther back than I initially thought.  I am guessing that I just didn't see it, since it is still kind of brush covered and not plain dirt but it does go back by The Beast's straightaway under the shelter.  When riding Beast, that cleared section was quite visible although not crystal clear.  My guess is that a rider will fairly easily see the new coaster when going through the first dip after the lift hill and curve.  Not that it matters as it won't take anything away from The Beast.  

• Like 4

• malem locked this topic