Decoding 2020

fryoj

13 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

On the music topic, Adventure Express had some Indiana Jones music playing during the Paramount era. 

The Indiana Jones music played all the way up until FunTV was installed. I think that was 2014 or ‘13.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Those of you who are on here who live close to KI, i hope you all are in your safe place. Tornado Warning in Warren County right now. Texting from my basement. 

Thank you... unfortunately the warning has been extended until 2 AM! On the other hand, I wonder what a night ride on The Beast would feel like right about now...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Thank you... unfortunately the warning has been extended until 2 AM! On the other hand, I wonder what a night ride on The Beast would feel like right about now...

not the warning.....the tor warning was canceled. a watch is issued tho but there are no tornado warnings currently . 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I misspoke, but thanks for correcting!

stay vigilant!! be safe down there. luckily just rain here in dayton. we dont need anymore tornados lol

OT: Ill never forget riding Diamondback then it started pouring buckets on us in the middle of the ride. we were soaked. 

• Like 2

Stay safe indeed. I actually came home a little earlier than planned due to the weather.

As for The Beast design in one of the stores, the way the track looks reminds me of Cedar Creek Mine Ride- so it's basically Cedar Creek Mine Ride on steroids, lol.

Speaking of The Point, Wicked Twister has some amazing station music as well.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I wonder why they haven't poured these two footers that are part of the train storage area along with the others.

2019-06-16_00.42.21.jpg

These two are a more-involved footing, similar to the two in the turnaround. Not as simple as the small square ones that they already poured, but I'm sure they'll get to them soon. 

41B9092E-4055-4B9F-8BC9-9A6453A11F9D.jpeg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Can someone message me a PDF of all of the blueprints please?

I believe one of the users in this forum posted a link to a Google docs page. I can't remember when. I wanna say it's been in the last 50 or 60 pages. (Sorry cant narrow it down more)  maybe someone can remember who is was.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It felt like being pelted by bullets that I couldn’t see. Still was a memorable ride on The Beast. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MaestroJr said:

It felt like being pelted by bullets that I couldn’t see. Still was a memorable ride on The Beast. 

I remember riding Beast on a rainy Haunt night; it was pretty insane as the rain was cold.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

The Indiana Jones music played all the way up until FunTV was installed. I think that was 2014 or ‘13.

"The Idol Temple" by John Williams from Raiders of the Lost Ark :) 

WindSeeker is also the king of theme music. Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Apollo 13, Harry Potter, Superman, etc. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

sorry I didn’t get pictures but just drove by CSF and there was a truck and it had a boat load of white supports on it, could this be for Kings Island?

About what size were the supports? And what shape? I think a lot of the transfer and storage supports are more traditional I-beam shaped rather than round ones. With all these footings being completed first, we might see those supports installed first. 

• Like 4

As fast as they are progressing with this, one of two things is going on...

They are trying to get ahead of schedule as much as possible because of Ohio weather. 

Or, and this is most likely and plausible.they are trying to beat the opening of a West Coast Racer.

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

About what size were the supports? And what shape? I think a lot of the transfer and storage supports are more traditional I-beam shaped rather than round ones. With all these footings being completed first, we might see those supports installed first. 

They we’re more round ones I didn’t see any I beam supports. They looked like more for this portion of the track

400668F7-E597-4751-BE32-CB526ED2D1FF.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Here are photos from Fury 325 footers being poured in progressive stages. I was wondering if BSBMX could explain what we are seeing in these pictures. Specifically, what is the pink stuff and why is there a gap with the metal plate and bolts on the finished footer.
f521676cecca06f715ddbc3165a69239.jpg8a84de6a12b4d31e136874cb38777dd1.jpgc56a3660c4397c3a7bb4a82c20018187.jpga3439412f098789cc5fe60650b8880d7.jpg67aaef53f79406d093acb85d82799277.jpg

Nice! Can you link to where those pics came from? Looks interesting. 

So the pink stuff looks like normal pink foam insulation, which is fairly rigid but lightweight, cheap, and easy to cut. They're using it to create forms, or essentially negative molds, to create the grout pockets in the tops of the footings. 

The steel plate and the bar directly underneath it (laying on top of the pink foam) is there while the concrete cures to keep the pink foam from floating upwards and around as well as keeping the rebar suspended within the concrete until it is cured enough. 

That steel plate (and bars and pink foam) would be removed prior to the actual support being placed. On the bottom of these supports, there is a "shear key", which is a small protrusion that loosely fits into the grout pocket (what the pink foam 'molded'). The shear key can be used as a last resort of keeping the support from sliding off the footing until everything is tightened, cured, etc. It also can be used to poka-yoke the support to its footing so that it can only go one way. 

Once the support is installed, you'd still see a small gap between the footing and the support. This gap is later filled with concrete grout, which fills in the grout pocket, around the shear key, and fully fills beneath the support (in theory) so there are no gaps or air pockets. 

There are way better pics out there, but I remember seeing this one yesterday, so I included it below. This is an example of a shear key on one of Hershey's pieces. This is a low-to-the-ground piece where there's no separate support, but same idea here. That shear key would fit into a grout pocket on a footing. 

The blueprints also give an example of a top view and side view of the grout pocket and shear key. Note in the top view, you can see the elongated octagon shape of the grout pocket form, similar to what you show in your pics. 

AC7AF6ED-C28F-4D8A-A9DA-0B7A4C3B6364.jpeg

A7F5AE5A-C3A3-436B-B6B7-AE3ECF8B8EFE.jpeg

4FAC1F0A-ED33-4983-A5C5-0CA46D1CF210.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

BSBMX! Thanks for the detailed explanation on grout pockets! I realized that the gap between the footing and plate was sealed with grout but wasn't so intimately familiar with the process, lol. 

That is a fantastic Fury construction album, I remember following along. Crazy it's been 5 years. Fury went vertical September 29th, and I'm also wondering at this point if KI's construction timeline is a bit earlier to get the bulk of vertical construction done before winter.

And finally, looking at these pics, I wish both Carowinds and KI had been able to spare more trees! Canada's Wonderland preserved quite a few with Leviathan, but they also had the easiest site to work with by far.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Very interesting stuff and it all kinda makes sense. You should be a teacher!

Here is a link to Carowinds Fury construction photos. Lots of good stuff in there.

https://www.carowindsconnection.com/fury325.php

It is all interesting stuff, that's for sure. Here is a very short video explaining the grout used under the footings. The video isn't for a coaster, but similar in idea.

In the video, you saw him make a wooden frame 'dam' around the support that the grout is poured into. You'll see similar wooden frame dams on KI's coaster too, but some of these support grout fillings won't be completed until the track has been bolted together. Here are some related images from GateKeeper's construction. All pics are from:

https://cpfansite.com/2013/01/GateKeeper-construction-update/

footing.jpg

shear.jpg

dam.jpg

no grout.jpg

jackets.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• malem locked this topic