Decoding 2020

fryoj

3 minutes ago, Turtlepower said:

I agree, and I felt like the park was more diverse in what it offered back then. It definitely has a lot of great coasters now, but I miss having things like shows in the Action Theater and Tomb Raider:The Ride to break it up a little bit. FoF is still the best themed ride in the park, and still a good ride. Delirium is great, Drop Tower is good. If only they hadn't missed so big on Son of Beast... I can only dream of a KI that has an RMC'd SOB, Beast, Diamondback, and 2020 giga.

Curious why Action Theater is not used for shows at all? 

1 hour ago, Maverick44 said:

Going back to the lightning package. Fury's is on point and I hope it is as close to that as possible. Driving down 77 it is an amazing site to see.

The electrical plans indicate DMX lighting will be used. I'm not an expert, but DMX lighting is far from being simple, 'dumb' lights. These are lights that I believe the color can be changed in an instant and can easily accomplish fades, chasing effects, lighting changing to the seasons, etc. (so, "fun stuff" for lights). 

KCL Engineering designed and installed the lighting package for Hangtime at KBF, while TPR provided the physical DMX lighting/hardware. KCL seems to have more of a relationship with Gerstlauer than CF, but they've at least worked with CF before (on Hangtime), so perhaps there's some precedent there that they'll work with CF again, possibly on KI's giga. The Drunk Rider's February 9, 2019 podcast has some more info there, as well as the sites below.

I don't think KI's giga will get a light package as extensive as Hangtime's, but I think something like Fury's is certainly a possibility. 

https://www.kclengineering.com/lighting-theme-and-thrill

https://tprlights.com/

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Paramount added some great rides towards the beginning of their ownership. Flight of Fear comes to mind first. 

I'm not saying that they made bad choices in rides, but the difference in FoF and a $25M giga are pretty different.

CP was getting B&M after B&M in the 90's and we got a themed off the shelf coaster that's been installed in 3 different parks.

Not saying they were bad additions, but the fact that Cedar Fair has installed 3 B&Ms now in 11 years is a big difference vs. Paramount.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Turtlepower said:

I agree, and I felt like the park was more diverse in what it offered back then. It definitely has a lot of great coasters now, but I miss having things like shows in the Action Theater and Tomb Raider:The Ride to break it up a little bit. FoF is still the best themed ride in the park, and still a good ride. Delirium is great, Drop Tower is good. If only they hadn't missed so big on Son of Beast... I can only dream of a KI that has an RMC'd SOB, Beast, Diamondback, and 2020 giga.

I think if paramount would of went with a massive steel coaster from B&M back in the mid 90's like CF did with Raptor / Mantis it would of changed my mind on the rides they installed. They were scared to spend the money and when they did on SoB it was was "junk"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

I'm not saying that they made bad choices in rides, but the difference in FoF and a $25M giga are pretty different.

CP was getting B&M after B&M in the 90's and we got a themed off the shelf coaster that's been installed in 3 different parks.

Not saying they were bad additions, but the fact that Cedar Fair has installed 3 B&Ms now in 11 years is a big difference vs. Paramount.

Paramount was trying to do more of the Disney thing than the CP thing. Theme park over amusement park. They just didn't have the budget and the the ability to do year round operations for that to work. That being said, Paramount added 5 coasters to the park. As of right now, CF has added 4. During the Paramount Era, CP also added 5 coasters, only 2 of which were B&M. If SOB hadn't been so poorly built and was still here to be RMC'ed today, I think the Paramount era is looked at differently. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, spooky21 said:

I think Mystic is the best ride in the park, but that's my opinion.

That’s what I mean, a lot of folks though, in the beginning said that it was too small or not fast enough and it turned out fine. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, fryoj said:

The teasers for MT and Banshee gave no clues for what they ended up being other than vague hints at theming that made no sense until after the announcement. Also, didn't Fury's teasers hint towards the Centurion theme?

Actually, many of the teasers were really helpful with decoding the ride. If you look at this article from COASTER101, you can see that almost all of the ride was figured out from the teasers.

https://www.coaster101.com/2018/06/30/carowinds-2019-teasers-what-do-they-all-mean/

• Like 3

My mine gripe with the paramount era is the fact the quality of the park was lower then what it previously had been. Before Paramount Kings Island arguably was the best regional theme park in the world, can’t really say that now a day’s. If Paramount didn’t buy the parks chances are we would have seen a lot more B&M’s installed in the 90’s. KECO had already installed 2. Furthermore yes the park did get a lot of capital investments but those investments often times were not the right investments. SoB was by no means a cheap ride and did indeed cost a lot of money to install but even with all the money the ride was still a terrible addition. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Paramount was trying to do more of the Disney thing than the CP thing. Theme park over amusement park. They just didn't have the budget and the the ability to do year round operations for that to work. That being said, Paramount added 5 coasters to the park. As of right now, CF has added 4. During the Paramount Era, CP also added 5 coasters, only 2 of which were B&M. If SOB hadn't been so poorly built and was still here to be RMC'ed today, I think the Paramount era is looked at differently. 

I agree with that.....SoB could of changed how we think of paramount. Even though everything else was non custom layouts and most were installed in many other parks. SoB could of changed it all but it was just a mess. I could only imagine how crazy a real life RMC - SoB would be!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Actually, many of the teasers were really helpful with decoding the ride. If you look at this article from COASTER101, you can see that almost all of the ride was figured out from the teasers.

https://www.coaster101.com/2018/06/30/carowinds-2019-teasers-what-do-they-all-mean/

"watch for falling trees" and a sign about paranormal activity were all KI got for teasers correct? 

10 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I agree with that.....SoB could of changed how we think of paramount. Even though everything else was non custom layouts and most were installed in many other parks. SoB could of changed it all but it was just a mess. I could only imagine how crazy a real life RMC - SoB would be!

Paramount built Top Gun, FOF, Face off, SOB, and IJST. Three were custom, two were not. 

• Like 3

I think if paramount would of went with a massive steel coaster from B&M back in the mid 90's like CF did with Raptor / Mantis it would of changed my mind on the rides they installed. They were scared to spend the money and when they did on SoB it was was "junk"

Jane Cooper was obsessed with prototype rides. You can thank her for us getting Face/Off, Son of Beast and Tomb Raider: The Ride, and no B&Ms, etc.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, fryoj said:

"watch for falling trees" and a sign about paranormal activity were all KI got for teasers correct?

That does not mean we are getting the same kind of teasers as we did in the past because: first, we have always gotten them to start the season and second, Cedar Fair seems to be doing more involved teasers nowadays. In the past, they have always put up a couple posters on a fence vaguely hinting at the theme for the new ride, but last season they started detailed teaser campaigns that ended up giving lots of information about the rides. Also, they started teasing really late last year, and that also looks to be happening this year at Kings Island.

• Like 3

It’s worth noting that in the time since the last teasers for a coaster at Kings Island, we have gotten a new general manager, a new communications director, and even a new CEO. What happened three years ago is not necessarily what will happen this year.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Paramount built Top Gun, FOF, Face off, SOB, and IJST. Three were custom, two were not. 

Top Gun was actually planned before Paramount bought the park.  They changed the name from Rolling Thunder to Top Gun.

• Like 6

I thought Vortex at Canada's Wonderland was the same layout? Also the premiere " spaghetti bowl" has a clone at a six flag park in Texas. Unless there is the smallest difference they look like clones.

The layouts are similar but not clones. Height, drop, speed, length are all different. 

51 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

That does not mean we are getting the same kind of teasers as we did in the past because: first, we have always gotten them to start the season and second, Cedar Fair seems to be doing more involved teasers nowadays. In the past, they have always put up a couple posters on a fence vaguely hinting at the theme for the new ride, but last season they started detailed teaser campaigns that ended up giving lots of information about the rides. Also, they started teasing really late last year, and that also looks to be happening this year at Kings Island.

We've never seen the teasers here like have been seen at CP and Carowinds. Until I see differently, I wouldn't expect that to change. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, fryoj said:

We've never seen the teasers here like have been seen at CP and Carowinds. Until I see differently, I wouldn't expect that to change. 

But things can change. I wouldn't be surprised if our teasing campaign is a little different than last year. In fact it will be different with the timing. This time last year the park was already dropping hints on social media. In my opinion I would expect after Grand Carnivale, the park will start dropping hints on social media. 

• Like 3

So going back to the DMX lighting, it is a complex lighting system, I own my own lighting company doing lighting just like it. It can be programmed to sensors. Say a train is passing, they could have a spot light follow it, I believe that they will be doing something like that too, or something similar

8b9d7c45ea018faaec70586c79a36376.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

But things can change. I wouldn't be surprised if our teasing campaign is a little different than last year. In fact it will be different with the timing. This time last year the park was already dropping hints on social media. In my opinion I would expect after Grand Carnivale, the park will start dropping hints on social media. 

Things can change. We may see no teasers at all.

• Like 3

I think all coaster lift hills have to have those lights to light the stairs incase of an evacuation. The lightning package may be like MF with the lights on the ground but still lights up the entire lift hill.

^^^ Above pics of blue track almost look photoshopped into the pics the way the light hits it haha

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, thatguyfromohio said:

6e081a729cf7cf4e2b159116121fa942.jpg
Guys. If you look at those pics, one of the track pieces has a built on support. And its gloss.
I called it. Blue and concrete gray.

its also possible that the gray is still primer gray, and they are simply waiting on the blue paint to cure before masking it off and painting the support.

• Like 4

its also possible that the gray is still primer gray, and they are simply waiting on the blue paint to cure before masking it off and painting the support.

Paint doesn’t have to cure before masking. 90cb4e306dcfc6ba1652b35656dc7497.jpg

An hour or 2 is fine before masking. That’s definitely not primer. Primer doesn’t have even color. Compare it to the track piece next to it.

Ref. I do automotive painting.

Plus they wouldn’t move the piece outside, just to move I back in

• Like 3

• malem locked this topic