Decoding 2020

fryoj

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Idk... this may be a dumb question with me just being clueless, but are these blacker looking supports painted?

Edit: Since there is no shine, I do not think they have been painted yet...

Not painted black. That's the oil coating that comes on them from the steel plant. That pile is newer than the others, so the oils haven't washed off yet. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, fryoj said:

Paramount was trying to do more of the Disney thing than the CP thing. Theme park over amusement park. They just didn't have the budget and the the ability to do year round operations for that to work. That being said, Paramount added 5 coasters to the park. As of right now, CF has added 4. During the Paramount Era, CP also added 5 coasters, only 2 of which were B&M. If SOB hadn't been so poorly built and was still here to be RMC'ed today, I think the Paramount era is looked at differently. 

Son of Beast was around to be "RMC'ed".  New Texas Giant opened in 2011 and the decision to tear the ride down after was made public in mid-2012 with the ride being torn down later that year.  The GM said publicly that the decision was made after a thorough evaluation of the ride.  I'm sure an RMC conversion was considered.  In my opinion, SOB did not lend itself well to being converted.  We probably would have gotten basically the same layout as before, like in this fan creation.  Instead, we got Banshee.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, fryoj said:

The layouts are similar but not clones. Height, drop, speed, length are all different. 

The Bat and Vortex are not clones in the same sense that Bizarro and Scream are not clones. The Bat was 100% a clone of Vortex placed onto KI terrain. Top Gun (The Bat) was built in 1993, Vortex in 1991. Kings Island's sister park at the time (Paramount's Great America) also got a Top Gun coaster in 1993 which is low key one of the best B&M inverts ever built. It's interesting to ponder how things would have shaken out if KI got a custom B&M invert during that era. 

Also, let me echo the thanks to @Captain Nemo for some amazing pics! It's good to see the progress at CSF, it looks like they've gotten up to the drop now. I have mixed feelings about such a similar color scheme to Millennium Force, but it'll be slightly brighter and I'm sure look amazing on the skyline.

The Bat.png

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, befat said:

Son of Beast was around to be "RMC'ed".  New Texas Giant opened in 2011 and the decision to tear the ride down after was made public in mid-2012 with the ride being torn down later that year.  The GM said publicly that the decision was made after a thorough evaluation of the ride.  I'm sure an RMC conversion was considered.  In my opinion, SOB did not lend itself well to being converted.  We probably would have gotten basically the same layout as before, like in this fan creation.  Instead, we got Banshee.

Hence why I said poorly built AND around today. 

22 minutes ago, aj74205 said:

The Bat and Vortex are not clones in the same sense that Bizarro and Scream are not clones. The Bat was 100% a clone of Vortex placed onto KI terrain. Top Gun (The Bat) was built in 1993, Vortex in 1991. Kings Island's sister park at the time (Paramount's Great America) also got a Top Gun coaster in 1993 which is low key one of the best B&M inverts ever built. It's interesting to ponder how things would have shaken out if KI got a custom B&M invert during that era. 

Also, let me echo the thanks to @Captain Nemo for some amazing pics! It's good to see the progress at CSF, it looks like they've gotten up to the drop now. I have mixed feelings about such a similar color scheme to Millennium Force, but it'll be slightly brighter and I'm sure look amazing on the skyline.

If it was 100% a clone they would not have different heights and drops. Even in the pics you can see differences. While it was clearly based on Vortex, it is not a 100% clone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’m sure this link is helpful but I have no idea how to use it. What should I click on and what should I search for?

I remember during MT decoding there was a site that was much easier to use. Anybody have advice?

fe6a0b58f91990c3927169f0e427cbf2.jpg

Click Link “ Search our trademark database”

Thank first red arrow for Basic Word Mark Search.

Then enter name and search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I reviewed the current piers/footings and this is what I've come up with. The green is what I'll call done (both pier and footing), yellow is pier-only complete, magenta is not started, and no-highlight is either not visible, not clear enough, or not started. Out of the ~75 piers/footings in this area, about 40% are complete, about 45% just have the piers complete, and the remaining is either hard/impossible to see or not started yet. Pretty solid numbers so far!

footing highlight.jpg

5 hours ago, thatguyfromohio said:

6e081a729cf7cf4e2b159116121fa942.jpg
Guys. If you look at those pics, one of the track pieces has a built on support. And its gloss.
I called it. Blue and concrete gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely agree with you. Those are 2 different grays. Glossy concrete gray for the supports. That particular piece is the very bottom of the main drop backbone support piece. The shear key on the very left of that piece mounts into the footing on the ground. 

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

If I remember correctly, Copperhead Strike was trademarked pretty early. I believe Valravn was too. 

Just for discussion, Copperhead Strike was announced 8/30/18 but the trademark was filed 4/9/18. Valravn was announced 9/9/15 (originally intended for 8/18/15) but the trademark was filed 4/17/15.

Meanwhile, GateKeeper had its trademark filed AND was announced on the same day, 8/13/12. Steel Vengeance had its trademark filed on 8/15/17 and was officially announced the following day, on 8/16/17.

'Polaris' and 'Orion' were filed around the 'early' trademark filing date, but there are past examples out there that they may just file a new trademark the day of the announcement. I do not believe they're filing trademarks for names they never intend to use--they're just keeping their options open.

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Idk... this may be a dumb question with me just being clueless, but are these blacker looking supports painted?

Edit: Since there is no shine, I do not think they have been painted yet...

21AC94A5-2E8F-451C-B0E7-B1C9DAB485A8.png

As another user mentioned, these are just newer pipes with oil still fresh on the exterior. Here's a closeup image of several newer steel pipes versus the one on the bottom that's been sitting out for a while.

big black pipe.jpg

Last, for any remaining naysayers out there saying the blueprints are fake, or this blue track is not KI's, I offer the below. These 3 pieces of track match identically to the existing blueprints in the turnaround area. Note where the support mounts are, which match where the footings are on the blueprints. Carowinds brought in Fury's equivalent piece of the EL.3 piece (shown below) into the park, prior to their announcement, as part of a show piece for the big announcement, so maybe we'll see something similar with KI.

turnaround pieces.jpg

turnaround.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

I reviewed the current piers/footings and this is what I've come up with. The green is what I'll call done (both pier and footing), yellow is pier-only complete, magenta is not started, and no-highlight is either not visible, not clear enough, or not started. Out of the ~75 piers/footings in this area, about 40% are complete, about 45% just have the piers complete, and the remaining is either hard/impossible to see or not started yet. Pretty solid numbers so far!
912257714_footinghighlight.thumb.jpg.29d9941ac58e4380fd7513009d8b28e1.jpg

As another user mentioned, these are just newer pipes with oil still fresh on the exterior. Here's a closeup image of several newer steel pipes versus the one on the bottom that's been sitting out for a while.
1614952918_bigblackpipe.jpg.f590750c9c75cd9cbda5cfe6785ee93f.jpg

Last, for any remaining naysayers out there saying the blueprints are fake, or this blue track is not KI's, I offer the below. These 3 pieces of track match identically to the existing blueprints in the turnaround area. Note where the support mounts are, which match where the footings are on the blueprints. Carowinds brought in Fury's equivalent piece of the EL.3 piece (shown below) into the park, prior to their announcement, as part of a show piece for the big announcement, so maybe we'll see something similar with KI.
937216040_turnaroundpieces.thumb.jpg.e0096fa330d20efba31599573df7604c.jpg
turnaround.jpg.2cdd131143a48d4b6ffd1dc8c2f8ab0d.jpg

You’re good man. Great insight!
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, fryoj said:

If it was 100% a clone they would not have different heights and drops. Even in the pics you can see differences. While it was clearly based on Vortex, it is not a 100% clone. 

This is not like the case of Mantis to Chang where a new corkscrew, helix and etc was added. The Bat's drop was only slightly modified to fit KI's terrain, the lengths of each coaster is within 10'. They're even almost at the same geographic orientation, I did not rotate either image and the top of both is due North. I think differences you're perceiving are almost exclusively due to differing support structure and camera perspective. Even BTR clones have heights and lengths that vary to within 10', and some are mirrored. Call me a contrarian if you like, but to consider The Bat anything else but a clone is a misnomer :P;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aj74205 said:

This is not like the case of Mantis to Chang where a new corkscrew, helix and etc was added. The Bat's drop was only slightly modified to fit KI's terrain, the lengths of each coaster is within 10'. They're even almost at the same geographic orientation, I did not rotate either image and the top of both is due North. I think differences you're perceiving are almost exclusively due to differing support structure and camera perspective. Even BTR clones have heights and lengths that vary to within 10', and some are mirrored. Call me a contrarian if you like, but to consider The Bat anything else but a clone is a misnomer :P;)

You can add FOF to that list too, their Six Flags counterparts are slightly taller so a bit different. I think these are all similar enough to call them clones.

• Like 1

Don has confirmed that field of screams will be returning for Haunt this year... considering that maze dosnt usually open till the sun goes down how much of the coaster do you think will be complete by haunt? Could this be why they are in such a rush to get moving on the construction?

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/june/readers%E2%80%99-mailbag-how-much-does-a-beast-train-weigh3bd41c0f03e14981beb9ad731bd2c54e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Here are photos from today's flight over the construction site and the steel fab site. Took at least 400 photos, here are a snippit of them.

Enjoy,

-Captain Nemo (Gabriel) 

Any chance you can upload all those photos somewhere? I'd love to see more of CSF and more angles of the construction site. Your images are very clear and clean looking. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Here's a breakdown of how I use this site. There's probably several ways going about it, but this works for me. I haven't tried it on mobile, but it's likely very similar to the below.

Click on the above quoted link and then go to TESS.

TESS.jpg

Click on this search function option. The other options here probably work too, I just haven't messed with them.

WORD.jpg

Here are the search fields. The green highlighted one is your main search--you will primarily fill this one out. The magenta box can stay as-is if you're only searching for one term (i.e., "Cedar Fair"). If you want to search for two different terms (i.e., "Cedar Fair" & "GateKeeper"), then change the magenta field to AND and type in the two different terms in the two different search fields.

SEARCH.jpg

I primarily search for "amusement park rides", review, then shorten my search to "amusement park", review, and finally just search for "amusement". This seems to capture anything we would be interested in plus lots of stuff you probably don't care about, so you do have to sift thru things. The results are listed by date I believe (top ones are newest). Not necessarily by the date filed though--best I can tell, it's whenever something happens during the application process, its date gets 'reset', and it'll move back to the top of the list...if that makes sense. 

a p r.jpg

As an example, here are the results of "amusement park rides". You can click on any of these links, some have more info than others (usually, the further along an application is, the more information will be in here). For example, Hershey's new Candymonium doesn't really offer much, but their Whitecap Racer has more information, including actual logos. Clicking on Whitecap Racer, and then clicking the TSDR button, and then clicking Documents takes you to another page. From here, anything that says "Specimen" usually has images of product related to the patent (usually hats, t-shirts, cups, etc.... gift shop stuff). In this case, looks like we're seeing cup lids or poker chips, but it's got a logo on it, so that's cool!

If you look up Fury's, you'll see keychains, shot glasses, all kinds of stuff. Keeping our eyes on this prior the announcement may give us the official name and logo, but at the same time, this kind of information could also come after we already know that stuff.

cap.jpg

tsdr.jpg

docs.jpg

specimen.jpg

• Like 9

Good afternoon good people. 

Here are additional photos from yesterdays flight. If there are any areas you want a closer look at please reply to this message and I'll zoom into my raw files :)

I added some different perspectives and some shots of the finished supports at the fabrication plant. 

Does anyone in shot 7 know what the purple track is?

-Captain Nemo (Gabriel)

DSC_5261.JPGDSC_5369.JPGDSC_5389.JPGDSC_5394.JPGDSC_5429.JPGDSC_5453.JPGDSC_5474.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

There's also some Kumba-looking track in image 5. 

What's weird is that all those supports in that area appear to be staged to be banded in groups and loaded onto trucks, as if they're complete (as in, that dark flat gray is the final color). I had thought that was just primer, but now I'm thinking otherwise. Hmmm...

E69C9EAA-745D-459C-8D49-004A8FE85D71.jpeg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

What's weird is that all those supports in that area appear to be staged to be banded in groups and loaded onto trucks, as if they're complete (as in, that dark flat gray is the final color). Hmmm...

I am thinking this track is for Mako @ SeaWorld San Diego. Based on the color and the rendering they released.

No clue what the purple track could be though.....

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

What's weird is that all those supports in that area appear to be staged to be banded in groups and loaded onto trucks, as if they're complete (as in, that dark flat gray is the final color). I had thought that was just primer, but now I'm thinking otherwise. Hmmm...

I was thinking the same.  Those supports look to be finished and ready for loading.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

This is where I have to disagree. MF set the bar man. Its the OG giga coaster and will forever be a classic. Forever a top 5 for me no doubt.

Millie remains the best.  First drop with that elevator lift and then first overbanked turn and then into the tunnel and up a hill taller than most coasters' lift hills.  Great sequence with all the right forces.  Yes, the rest of layout isn't too inspired but it is still a ton of fun.

• Like 5

In the last pic, the shades of gray are different from the stack on the left vs. the multiple stacks on the right.  The stack on the left side look similar to the shade on the blue painted track in the same shot.

Then again, it could just the sun reflecting differently...

• Like 2

• malem locked this topic