Decoding 2020

fryoj

^Would you say something like a 4 hour wait is going to be a common scenario for this thing? This is the first time I've ever followed a new attraction like this so I don't really know what it's going to be like. I know by 2018, Mystic Timbers lines didn't seem that bad at all, no idea what they were like year one though.

• Like 2

It’s hard to tell tbh. I think it’ll peak around 4-5 hours for opening weekend and maybe even the second weekend, but then I’d guess 1-2 hours max after that. Most summer days I’d assume less than an hour, but as I said before, it’s really hard to tell. SV consistently pulls multi-hour waits even into this year. I think Fury would be a closer comparison though. Whenever I’ve gone to Carowinds, it hasn’t been more than 30 minutes (though I first went in 2016). Plus, I believe KI pulls larger numbers on average than Carowinds (please correct me if I am wrong).

My guess, though, is that it will be around an hour wait the whole first year, as B&Ms are GP pleasers. Many normal park guests will flock to this ride unlike I305 which is often a station wait and rarely gets too crowded (from what I’ve been told.) It will be crowded, but hopefully worth the wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

Headed to CSF soon. Anything I should look for? (Obviously I won’t tresspass or do anything illegal)

It would be great if you could see if there are any newly painted supports to confirm that they will be light grey. Thanks for heading over there!

• Like 2

I doubt the line would be over 75 minutes most days after the first few weeks. B&Ms just eat at the lines. I think I waited about 4 hours for Banshee on opening day, but I’m pretty sure it broke down for like 35-45 minutes.  I think I waited about 2 hours for DB on opening day, but it was after that ridiculous line that wrapped around the Eiffel Tower. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I waited about 4 and 1/2 hours for Mystic Timbers on passholder preview night in 2017. 

How did the whole process of lining up take place? Was it just a huge crowd or line at the front gate waiting, then gates opened, followed by a running of the bulls back to MT? Or was there some sort of organization to the thing that didn't involved kids getting trampled?

(I specifically meant on pass holder preview night, but I guess opening night experiences would help too)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Steel Vengeance pulled those waits the first year imo mainly because of them running 1-2 trains most of the year. It's getting those waits this year I've heard because of stacking and the new cellphone policy. 

Shoot when I went about a month ago they couldn’t hardly keep the thing running and when they did only 2 train operation.  It took about 45 minutes to get through the line when entering immediately after a breakdown.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

^Would you say something like a 4 hour wait is going to be a common scenario for this thing? This is the first time I've ever followed a new attraction like this so I don't really know what it's going to be like. I know by 2018, Mystic Timbers lines didn't seem that bad at all, no idea what they were like year one though.

It seems that people are telling horror stories of opening day crowds. On Diamondback’s opening morning, it went full queue, into Planet Snoopy, toward the Eiffel Tower, past Floral Clock, past the DB splash down and maxed out at Reds Hall of Fame Grill. The line came within about 30 feet of crossing back over itself. That never came close to happening again.

As long as this ride is running 3 trains and has minimal downtime, I think 90 minutes will be the extreme after the first few weekends.

With regards to queue design, you don’t design a permanent queue for opening day crowds. Since Diamondback, KI has had a plan with temp queues for opening day and the first few weekends. I’m sure the 2020 coaster will use the service road like Banshee did.

I’ve thought more about why the Firehawk queue isn’t being used for the new coaster. Logistically, it makes sense to move the entrance to the right side so that it doesn’t block FOF when the new ride goes beyond full queue. 

This way, the line will hug the fence-line on the right when it gets long and is probably why the food stand is being removed. Is FOF photo still gone? Maybe we’ll see some 20oz’s and pretzels being sold there.

• Like 7

I’m all for an RMC at some point but they seem to be prone, like Intamin, to breakdowns.  Some of that can be attributed to them being a newer company but I’ll take a B&M that I can actually ride all day.  Not worth waiting hours and hours bc a ride breaks down all the time.  It’s happened a ton when I tried to ride TTD at the point and still haven’t gotten on  it 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FirefighterENG44 said:

I’m all for an RMC at some point but they seem to be prone, like Intamin, to breakdowns.  Some of that can be attributed to them being a newer company but I’ll take a B&M that I can actually ride all day.  Not worth waiting hours and hours bc a ride breaks down all the time.  It’s happened a ton when I tried to ride TTD at the point and still haven’t gotten on  it 

That is just bad luck for you. I go to CP 7-8 times a season and get on every coaster there. B&M is going to have to do something different soon because they are running out of things to offer. The more technologically advanced the ride is....it may have some down time. I for one don't mind waiting for a ride that is more thrilling and is like nothing else out there.  But if your willing to not ride them that means less of a wait for me! Thank you!!! haha 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, befat said:

It seems that people are telling horror stories of opening day crowds. On Diamondback’s opening morning, it went full queue, into Planet Snoopy, toward the Eiffel Tower, past Floral Clock, past the DB splash down and maxed out at Reds Hall of Fame Grill. The line came within about 30 feet of crossing back over itself. That never came close to happening again.

Diamondback opened during the Nickelodeon Universe era. Boy do I miss it! 

On 6/22/2019 at 1:18 AM, KI Guy said:

I've never understood tolerating something as worse for the vast majority of the time for the purpose of making something better a small part of the time. (See also the new Royal Fountain).

Same here. I always understood that Fearfest/Haunt was both popular and lucrative for the park, but could never get past the things you described. 

Hopefully that doesn't happen with Flight of Fear. The saucer queue is a shadow of its 1996 self, but it provides a reprieve on warm days and some entertainment that distracts you from how long the line may be. 

Plus, it's like a 90s time capsule. Wonderful. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Same here. I always understood that Fearfest/Haunt was both popular and lucrative for the park, but could never get past the things you described. 

Hopefully that doesn't happen with Flight of Fear. The saucer queue is a shadow of its 1996 self, but it provides a reprieve on warm days and some entertainment that distracts you from how long the line may be. 

Plus, it's like a 90s time capsule. Wonderful. 

I did notice Saturday that the whole theme is dated for sure, but being a nostalgia nut like I am, it is awesome to stand in there and see the 90's-ness that it is. And you'll never ever in your life forget the part in the preshow "PLEASE, Dick". It was fun to remember back to the first time I rode that, when the queue was full outside, and inside!! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I did notice Saturday that the whole theme is dated for sure, but being a nostalgia nut like I am, it is awesome to stand in there and see the 90's-ness that it is. And you'll never ever in your life forget the part in the preshow "PLEASE, Dick". It was fun to remember back to the first time I rode that, when the queue was full outside, and inside!! 

Such a vestige of a different era. When the ride opened, I had no interest in riding it. I was way too scared as a 7-year old, but I wanted to see the queue and set up so bad. I was absolutely enthralled (and X-Files was huge at the time): the building, the hangar, the queue storyline, the mysterious train launch, and the employees in military uniforms. Didn't even need to ride to have a good time. 

Over the years, and when I was still at the park, several heartfelt attempts were made to maintain and help clean up the scenery by various groups. Last I heard, it was still looking pretty good. 

But nostalgia is a personal thing. Diamondback is now 10 years old and I'm sure some will view this modern era in the way others look back. 

"Remember when Cedar Fair built all those B&M coasters? The 2010's were weird, man."

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Diamondback opened during the Nickelodeon Universe era. Boy do I miss it! 

That’s right! I forgot about that. It’s crazy that Nickelodeon Universe was only around for 4 seasons (excluding Nickelodeon Central). NU was so well done.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Over the years, and when I was still at the park, several heartfelt attempts were made to maintain and help clean up the scenery by various groups. Last I heard, it was still looking pretty good. 

The UFO itself is pretty dusty, but honestly, it has stood the test of time (and guests that tear things up because they think it makes them cool) really well. The rest of the scenery in the show building actually looked really good. The efforts have not gone un-noticed. I'm actually kind of sad that they've gone to the LCD screen monitors for the show though. It would have that 100% 90's feel if the old CRT screens were still hanging in the scaffolds throughout the show room!! 

2 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

That is just bad luck for you. I go to CP 7-8 times a season and get on every coaster there. B&M is going to have to do something different soon because they are running out of things to offer. The more technologically advanced the ride is....it may have some down time. I for one don't mind waiting for a ride that is more thrilling and is like nothing else out there.  But if your willing to not ride them that means less of a wait for me! Thank you!!! haha 

Never said I wasn’t willing to ride them haha.  I just don’t have a lot of patience I suppose.  I agree B&M will have to ate their game eventually but reliability will always reign over something that hasn’t been done before but never runs.  I should add I haven’t been to CP in years so that explains not getting on TTD haha. 5 hour drive from Indy compared to 2 for KI...would like to go back eventually though.  I tell my wife all the time she hasn’t see anything in size of rides until she visits CP.  

• Like 1

Just now, FirefighterENG44 said:

Never said I wasn’t willing to ride them haha.  I just don’t have a lot of patience I suppose.  I agree B&M will have to ate their game eventually but reliability will always reign over something that hasn’t been done before but never runs.  I should add I haven’t been to CP in years so that explains not getting on TTD haha. 5 hour drive from Indy compared to 2 for KI...would like to go back eventually though.  I tell my wife all the time she hasn’t see anything in size of rides until she visits CP.  

It may reign for you! lol I want a more thrilling coaster. If GateKeeper and Maverick both has 3 hour waits.....I'd rather wait for Maverick. Same goes for Mill Force over Diamondback if they had 3 hour waits. its all based on personal preference . I know there are B&M fanboys just like there are Intimin. Haha I mean we could go back in forth forever. I am still holding out hopes they make a return to CF parks after Hagrid's and the 2020 Busch Gardens coasters.

33 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

It may reign for you! lol I want a more thrilling coaster. If GateKeeper and Maverick both has 3 hour waits.....I'd rather wait for Maverick. Same goes for Mill Force over Diamondback if they had 3 hour waits. its all based on personal preference . I know there are B&M fanboys just like there are Intimin. Haha I mean we could go back in forth forever. I am still holding out hopes they make a return to CF parks after Hagrid's and the 2020 Busch Gardens coasters.

They as in Intamin can only improve for sure.  But let’s be honest...no B&M will have a 3 hour wait bc if their capacity for riders as well as reliability...I get the point but that would never happen haha.  Have heard SV is amazing from my brother though 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FirefighterENG44 said:

They as in Intamin can only improve for sure.  But let’s be honest...no B&M will have a 3 hour wait bc if their capacity for riders as well as reliability...I get the point but that would never happen haha.  Have heard SV is amazing from my brother though 

YES you have to ride SV!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• malem locked this topic