Decoding 2020

fryoj

2 minutes ago, Nutterie said:

I don't really feel like scrolling through 234 pages of speculation, can someone caught up tell me if there is a good guess on when we might start seeing teasers on the park's social media and throughout the park?

Geeze n00bie haha j/k we think it will be sometime late July / early August. Then again we don't work at the park and really have no idea.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

You are right.  So we are 50/50 right now. If they go back and forth its a non number year.

I think I305 was numbered mainly to differentiate from Intimidator at Carowinds which opened the same year. And Fury was numbered because it was an impressive number, lol.

I'd agree that teasers should show up by late July or so.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nutterie said:

I don't really feel like scrolling through 234 pages of speculation, can someone caught up tell me if there is a good guess on when we might start seeing teasers on the park's social media and throughout the park?

I think the general consensus is we should be looking for something shortly after Carnivale is finished.

• Like 3

This is how I see the whole “numbers” thing:

Millennium Force: No number and no need for a number. It was the first giga coaster and numbers were not really a thing yet. Millennium Force itself is a great name. Plus it implies a number (2000) because it’s the turn of the millennium to the year 2000 (obviously).

Intimidator 305: I don’t think it would have a number if intimidator at Carowinds did not have the same name. They needed a way to differentiate the two, and Intimidator 305 is more intimidating (no pun intended) than Intimidator 232. This number was necessary and kinda started numbering conventions.

Leviathan: A number would be kinda odd as this coaster is not taller than Millennium Force. It would be weird to attach a number for a coaster smaller than a current giga. Plus, unlike intimidator, Leviathan is a unique coaster name to Cedar Fair, and so a number was not needed.

Fury 325: Record breaker, worlds tallest giga, marketability. “325” really fits as it rolls off the tongue and gives more depth than the name “Fury” which is a bit of a short name for a mammoth coaster. Though to be fair, I really would love the name Fury even if that was it, but 325 fits well (btw it’s pronounced three-two-five, not Three Twenty Five. If you don’t believe me, listen to the audio on the lift)

KI giga: about the same as Leviathan. Unique name and not a record breaker. No need to put a number, even though it could fit. Plus, CF filed trademarks for both “Fury” and “Fury 325” and neither Orion or Polaris were trademarked with a number. They may file the trademark later with the number attacked so as to not spoil to height though, so take whatever you want out of that. Personally I don’t think there will be a number tho.

Edit: Kinda beat to it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Ok, so despite going through two years of Haunt pics and the pics I took during two behind-the-scenes tours of Firehawk last year, I’m coming up empty on any good pics of the side of that building. Apparently I only took pics once I was farther into the tour, and never got any pics of the front of Chaos. I think this red and grey may be it in the background, but it’s hard to tell for sure (pic I took with my friend when he was the front host at Board To Death) and it’s the closest I can find so far. BA828C37-D2A6-45FA-BFB6-79D3EE8A20E5.jpeg

I’ve pretty much convinced myself the blue and grey color scheme of that building IS a teaser, and is new this season. But! I would like to have more definitive proof.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I’ve pretty much convinced myself the blue and grey color scheme of that building IS a teaser, and is new this season. But! I would like to have more definitive proof.

Here is a photo I took with the building in it from September 30 of last year. The building was repainted to fit in with the new C.H.A.O.S. maze and its story.

3B6DA5CB-00B1-4975-BE9A-FF25ADD05CE6.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

at the old Firehawk entrance, I wonder if they are going to keep the sign that say “pilots enter here” since they are using the old queue for Flight of Fear and that could be come he new entrance

Entrance will be through Firehawk's ride photo booth. Both the entrance building and sign will be gone next year, at least based off the blueprints. 

12 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

That looks photoshopped? haha Is this real?

And if it’s real, where is it? That looks awesome! Also, great pic of MF, @collin.klopfstein.

Finally, it would make me if that Valravn collision story is true. But even if I can’t ride it in July, I’ll still be admiring from afar (and there’s plenty of other stuff to do at The Point, too!)

7 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

So I asked something to this effect earlier in the thread but I want to be able to plan accordingly and didn't see much information last time so:

Based on previous new announcements, how much time in advance does KI usually give notice for an announcement event?

Also, a guy I used to work with somehow seems to manage to make it to events where he is able to ride new coasters before the park opens. How do you go about getting access to events like that? Is it a coaster club thing or something?

This kind of got flooded out when I posted it before so I wanted to see if anyone had any insights on this, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, lol.

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/valravn-roller-coaster-trains-collide-cedar-point

Since this has come up a few times, yes there was a collision. I’m not sure if it is verified but I’ve heard that it did some damage to the metal retractable floors, as they were apparently up when the collision happened.

As for how this applies to this thread... hopefully our coaster doesn’t do this.

Edit: http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm - more info from screamscape

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm hoping we get lucky with this Giga and finally get a B&M without the rattle. Banshee rattles a decent amount anytime you get close to the ground, and while most of Diamondback is solid, coming out of the turnaround there is a lot of rattle, border-lining on roughness.

• Like 3

^I May be completely wrong, but I believe the rattle is due more to the ground the footers are poured in than anything B&M themselves do. I believe all Ohio B&Ms, new and old, have a rattle. Meanwhile none of Carowinds’ or Dollywood’s collective B&Ms have a rattle. If anyone knows for certain why the rattle happens, and if I’m wrong, please let me know. It’s always something that I’ve been curious about.

• Like 2

Does anyone know where I can find the 4k pictures of the blueprints? I know they exist because I've seen youtubers like Variable use them to make replicas in planet coaster, but I can't seem to find them online. I want them because me and my friend are trying to take apart the whole thing bit by bit to understand exactly what we are dealing with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrSourNinja said:

I'm hoping we get lucky with this Giga and finally get a B&M without the rattle. Banshee rattles a decent amount anytime you get close to the ground, and while most of Diamondback is solid, coming out of the turnaround there is a lot of rattle, border-lining on roughness.

Both of these coasters still feel great, but I also detect a much stronger rattle on both than I did last season, anyone else feel this way?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

This kind of got flooded out when I posted it before so I wanted to see if anyone had any insights on this, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, lol.

Sometimes, parks will invite coaster club members to a media day event.  Other times, the park may have a first riders auction for charity.  Usually these things are done the day before the park opens to the public.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

The park will say something to the effect of "Join us at (insert time, day, and part of the park here) for a special announcement!"  It is about a few days to a week before. IndyGuy will put up a thread in the "news" section of the board -- and I'm sure it will become the main topic of this thread -- so it will be hard to miss. 

Looking at the "news" section, KMAA was announced last August, Mystic Timbers on July 2016, and Banshee on August 9, 2013. The thread teasing the announcement event for Banshee was posted on August 2, a week before. 

• Like 2

Concerning the rattle.. Fury 325 does have the same rattle as Diamondback. The rattle comes from the space between the main wheels and the upstop wheels, essentially the train is bouncing up and down. I'm not sure what causes this but it's not the build of the track. The supports can move around on the footers a fair amount to line up with the track and they're not grouted and fully bolted until the track they connect with is perfect. And even if the track alignment, supports, and footers are perfect, the whole system still sways from the wind and the force of the train.

The rattle seems to depend on the train. The green train on Banshee is unridable for me and gives me a headache every time. Purple used to have almost no rattle and blue had just a tiny bit. This year it seams as if blue and purple are even and green is worse still. The red train on Diamondback seems to be the most bumpy. Maybe it has something to do with the wear on the wheels. B&M need to use a system like RMC does on Steel Vengance where the upstop wheels are under tension by springs which hold them to the underside of the track.. no gap, no bumps.

• Like 3

• malem locked this topic