Decoding 2020

fryoj

^Definitely wouldn't be a bad name at all if they had kept it. Still not completely sold it's going to be as simple as Polaris or Orion though. Were you the one that mentioned earlier that they trademarked a bunch of stuff before Mystic Timbers and Banshee and none of them were the names? Honestly that gives me hope. I do kind of like Polaris but I just feel like it needs something else.

• Like 2

The past several pages have been a bit contentious with the decoding/not decoding conversation. Hang on folks, I have a feeling the next week or two are going to really get this thread back on track and moving along.

Likely events:

~ Grand Carnivale ends next weekend. Will we see our first teasers next weekend or the week after? IIRC Fury 325 teasers showed up first on July 7th. That’s next weekend...

~ New Blueprints will likely be filed in the next week or two. Blueprints for the remainder of the ride (everything outside of the drop/station area) have yet to be filed. The drop/station area has been completely drilled and piers poured. There is no additional drilling to be done on the current prints available at Mason. It would be great if someone that lives close can get there soon to check.

~Hershey track has been spotted in PA which is going to clear a lot more storage for our GIGA. CSF has been pumping out track and all of the 40 or so rusty pieces are likely to get painted shortly.

In other words... after the past month of nothing (besides awesome construction photos), Speculation is about to get going again!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Knowing the park, they will definitely have a surprise in store for us. We thought we knew everything there was to know when Mystic Timber’s layout leaked, but speculation about what was in the shed lasted until opening day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Next time in the park I'll try to get pictures of this, but I saw a couple hats at the emporium that I thought were interesting. They were covered in reflective silver material and had Kings Island written on them in a Sci-Fi looking font, one of them had a bill with a Nebula patten on it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, are those new this season? I'm wondering if they had something to do with the new coaster, they didn't have FoF written on them or anything.

I’ve worked at Emporium since October of 2017 and we have had those hats as long as I’ve been there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I’ve worked at Emporium since October of 2017 and we have had those hats as long as I’ve been there.

I was afraid someone was going to say that, can't say I'm really surprised though. Thanks! I knew someone on here would have an answer.

1 hour ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Now in 2020, Centauri may come.

That would be a cool name.

• Like 1

So the more I think about it the more I think the new coaster won't be space themed. It's just too similar to FOF. None of the other areas in the park have rides that match that well. If they did make is space/alien/rocket theme then they would need to stick with that for all other future rides or attractions in Xbase if they ever expand, which they probably will in the next 10-15 years I would think. 

So I'm wondering what everyone thinks some possible themes could be that would go with Xbase/FOF but not be space themed? Let's also assume Orion and Polaris are not the name since we don't know that one of those will be it yet. 

Im thinking :

futuristic 

Military/ jet

Mad scientist 

any other ideas? 

• Like 1

I really do think it will be somehow tied into a military/space theme. If you look at the blueprints it even looks like the station has a crest similar to the "Bureau of Paranormal Activity" one that FoF has. It's such a small area of the park that I really do think it makes sense to give it a coherent theme. Also, if they do go that direction, it will be the first time they've done so since 1996. Diamondback and Mystic Timbers seem to loosely fit with Rivertown, Banshee and The Bat seem to fit well together, I don't see why they wouldn't try to make the two rides that will be in that area mesh together somehow.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

I really do think it will be somehow tied into a military/space theme. If you look at the blueprints it even looks like the station has a crest similar to the "Bureau of Paranormal Activity" one that FoF has. It's such a small area of the park that I really do think it makes sense to give it a coherent theme. Also, if they do go that direction, it will be the first time they've done so since 1996. Diamondback and Mystic Timbers seem to loosely fit with Rivertown, Banshee and The Bat seem to fit well together, I don't see why they wouldn't try to make the two rides that will be in that area mesh together somehow.

5E63C4CA-4CD0-4956-B30F-4D8ADB09DBAD.png

DA3C5E8A-F954-4D5B-95FD-5485A828B9E4.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, silver2005 said:

We didn't ever pin DB, Banshee or Mystic Timbers for the name despite many trademarked names that came out for all 3. 

10 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

^Definitely wouldn't be a bad name at all if they had kept it. Still not completely sold it's going to be as simple as Polaris or Orion though. Were you the one that mentioned earlier that they trademarked a bunch of stuff before Mystic Timbers and Banshee and none of them were the names? Honestly that gives me hope. I do kind of like Polaris but I just feel like it needs something else.

The USPTO records are searchable for any trademark application, whether it was accepted or not, and whether it's live or dead (as of today). Searching for "amusement" and either "Cedar Fair", "Cedar Point", or "Kings Island", I cannot find a trademark application for DB, NOR can I find any suitable application for DB that was made around the 2008/2009 timeframe. This was surprising to me--if anyone can find a trademark for Diamondback, please show me.

As for MT or Banshee, both of those DO have trademarks, but neither had any other suitable trademarks filed around their respective times. For what it's worth, MT's trademark application was filed 1 day after it was announced, but Banshee's application was filed about 3.5 months before its announcement. 

I'd welcome @silver2005 to show us what other trademarked names were filed for these 3 coasters. Perhaps my search isn't as extensive as it can be.  I'm always looking to improve! BUT, for what it's worth, I'd guess that multiple trademarks were not made for these roller coasters prior to opening as I believe my research on USPTO's site is extensive enough to uncover these. @ldhudsonjr, I wouldn't give up on hope though. As seen with MT, GateKeeper, and likely some others, the trademark wasn't filed until the day before/of/after the coaster was announced. There's certainly some precedent there that the same could happen with this coaster. IMO though, either 'Polaris' or 'Orion' will be related to this project. 

Below is an example of one of the searches. Results are listed in order from recent to older.

ki.jpg

On 6/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, Maverick44 said:

Well you have to consider that that last 2 giga installments to the chain I305 and Fury325 both have #'s. So they are the most recent so its also possible that it does in my eyes.

It's worth mentioning that the '325' in Fury's name was applied for after 'Fury' was ('Fury' was applied for on 1/23/14, while 'Fury 325' was applied for on 6/9/14).

Originally, the 'Fury' trademark was filed in January 2014. At the end of April 2014, the USPTO sent a letter to CF for an initial refusal of the trademark application, citing "likelihood of confusion" with Sperian's line of eyewear (seemingly, they had glasses that also shared the 'Fury' name). Behind the scenes, CF and Sperian reached an agreement that neither of their similarly-named trademarks would be confused with each other. CF readily signed this agreement on 5/23/16, but Sperian did not sign until 6/16/16 (shown below). I'm speculating that CF was beginning to get anxious waiting on Sperian to sign the agreement as they went ahead and filed a new application for 'Fury 325' on 6/9/14, about 1 week prior to Sperian's signature on their agreement. 

What I'm getting at is I don't think '325' was initially intended to be part of the coaster's name. An issue came up with the trademark application of 'Fury', and while at the end of the day the 'Fury' trademark was awarded to CF, CF didn't want to wait around for a possible second refusal, so they went ahead and filed for 'Fury 325' separately, which sounds better anyways IMO. As for I305, I'm guessing CF just didn't want to pull a Six Flags and have two different coasters under the same name.

cf.jpg

EDIT: (so I'm not double-posting)... @ldhudsonjr & @collin.klopfstein, the 'crest' you all were referring to is just a metal louver in the station building. These are used for ventilation. That's not to say there won't be a crest added, but what's shown in the blueprints is simply a vent for the hot air rising to the station's ceiling. On one page of the blueprint, it even says 'louver' in the notes off to the side. Below is an example of one I found on a house, a bit more decorative than the one shown in the blueprints, but still serving the same purpose. 

lou.jpg

exp.jpg

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

The USPTO records are searchable for any trademark application, whether it was accepted or not, and whether it's live or dead (as of today). Searching for "amusement" and either "Cedar Fair", "Cedar Point", or "Kings Island", I cannot find a trademark application for DB, NOR can I find any suitable application for DB that was made around the 2008/2009 timeframe. This was surprising to me--if anyone can find a trademark for Diamondback, please show me.

As for MT or Banshee, both of those DO have trademarks, but neither had any other suitable trademarks filed around their respective times. For what it's worth, MT's trademark application was filed 1 day after it was announced, but Banshee's application was filed about 3.5 months before its announcement. 

I'd welcome @silver2005 to show us what other trademarked names were filed for these 3 coasters. Perhaps my search isn't as extensive as it can be.  I'm always looking to improve! BUT, for what it's worth, I'd guess that multiple trademarks were not made for these roller coasters prior to opening as I believe my research on USPTO's site is extensive enough to uncover these. @ldhudsonjr, I wouldn't give up on hope though. As seen with MT, GateKeeper, and likely some others, the trademark wasn't filed until the day before/of/after the coaster was announced. There's certainly some precedent there that the same could happen with this coaster. IMO though, either 'Polaris' or 'Orion' will be related to this project. 

Below is an example of one of the searches. Results are listed in order from recent to older.

ki.jpg

It's worth mentioning that the '325' in Fury's name was applied for after 'Fury' was ('Fury' was applied for on 1/23/14, while 'Fury 325' was applied for on 6/9/14).

Originally, the 'Fury' trademark was filed in January 2014. At the end of April 2014, the USPTO sent a letter to CF for an initial refusal of the trademark application, citing "likelihood of confusion" with Sperian's line of eyewear (seemingly, they had glasses that also shared the 'Fury' name). Behind the scenes, CF and Sperian reached an agreement that neither of their similarly-named trademarks would be confused with each other. CF readily signed this agreement on 5/23/16, but Sperian did not sign until 6/16/16 (shown below). I'm speculating that CF was beginning to get anxious waiting on Sperian to sign the agreement as they went ahead and filed a new application for 'Fury 325' on 6/9/14, about 1 week prior to Sperian's signature on their agreement. 

What I'm getting at is I don't think '325' was initially intended to be part of the coaster's name. An issue came up with the trademark application of 'Fury', and while at the end of the day the 'Fury' trademark was awarded to CF, CF didn't want to wait around for a possible second refusal, so they went ahead and filed for 'Fury 325' separately, which sounds better anyways IMO. As for I305, I'm guessing CF just didn't want to pull a Six Flags and have two different coasters under the same name.

cf.jpg

EDIT: (so I'm not double-posting)... @ldhudsonjr & @collin.klopfstein, the 'crest' you all were referring to is just a metal louver in the station building. These are used for ventilation. That's not to say there won't be a crest added, but what's shown in the blueprints is simply a vent for the hot air rising to the station's ceiling. On one page of the blueprint, it even says 'louver' in the notes off to the side. Below is an example of one I found on a house, a bit more decorative than the one shown in the blueprints, but still serving the same purpose. 

lou.jpg

exp.jpg

Whoops, didn’t see that’s, my bad

• Like 1

This much drama over what is being considered acceptable or not acceptable in trying to figure out what comes next??  Is this still is a decoding thread??

As a 15+ year member (and relatively quiet for the past couple years) admonishing an enthusiast for doing what we all have done for years is quite laughable.

If the information is obtained through legal/ proper channels, post it.  If the park had an issue with it, they would ask to have it taken down.

This isn't a Christmas gift.  This is not a troll posting spoilers because they saw a movie before you.  Those comparisons are apples to oranges. 

This is a large project we are all excited for.  If you want to wait till the announcement for a surprise, don't look at a decoding thread because unless the info is illegally obtained IT WILL BE POSTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA SITES.  

There are no "rules" when it comes to legally obtaining PUBLIC information.

Please have fun with this!  Some of my best memories of KIC were on threads just like this. 

Ok, rant over.  I will stumble off my soapbox.

In other news, the Browns are going to the playoffs in 2019!  B) 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

5 hours ago, BSBMX said:

ki.jpg

cf.jpg

That's fine that you found they exist, but all I was referring to is the fact no one here went to go find those in any of those cases.  Nowhere did I mention that they didn't exist (which, your post is an awfully elaborate form of gaslighting putting words in my mouth).  If you go back to those respective decoding threads, no one ever found the actual names using this method.  

• Like 2

It's not an argument. I asked if proof could be resurrected for what was claimed, and none was provided. I do not want to contribute to the negativity that exists in this thread, so I'm moving on.

I remembered this afternoon that all past trademarks in use have a 'specimen' added to the application. These specimens always show the coaster logo as we know them today, and they all have a submitted date tied to them. I just reviewed Hangtime, Copperhead Strike, and Railblazer (all recent examples in CF's history), and unfortunately for all 3, nearly one year had passed between the initial application filing date and the date that the specimen was submitted. When the specimen was submitted, the ride (and logo) had already been announced. With that in mind, I don't think the trademark applications are going to tell us much more prior to the announcement, unless a new one is submitted the day of, or a day before, the announcement (which CF does have a history of doing). 

In construction news, the footings for the turnaround are complete, per the video below. The 'T' shaped footing at the end of the brakerun (beginning of turnaround) still has not been started, at least based on this video from two days ago. I'd say this footing and the large triangular one near the drop are the most complicated to build forms for, so I can understand them saving these for last.

T.jpg

T b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

That's fine that you found they exist, but all I was referring to is the fact no one here went to go find those in any of those cases.  Nowhere did I mention that they didn't exist (which, your post is an awfully elaborate form of gaslighting putting words in my mouth).  If you go back to those respective decoding threads, no one ever found the actual names using this method.  

I think some folks here just need to cool down. No reason for all your posts to be so heated. We’re all just trying to decode and have fun here. It’s OKAY to relax lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr_Krispy said:

It's not worth this arguing guys. We made this forum for fun not to fight all the time. New blueprints should be coming out soon so the decoding isnt done yet anyways. Just chill and have fun.

What would the new blueprints show? Just wondering

• Like 1

• malem locked this topic