Decoding 2020

fryoj

Roposting here from the construction thread since this thread gets more eyes and potentially more people to check on new blueprints. The WGT video was posted earlier but not the site, which has some more interesting pics in it. 

WGT's 11th update. Some good stuff in here!

Big news! As he noted on his site, there are now some coordinate markers for the final turn (before the brake run) as well as part of the helix (best I can tell from his images). Note the proximity of these markers to the existing concrete path. This leads me to believe there's now more blueprints available that give more X/Y coordinates for these markers and possibly more. Hopefully someone can check on more blueprints! This is the first time I've seen work being done that is beyond the existing released blueprints. 

Also the T-shaped footing at the end of the brake run looks like it has been poured or will be poured soon (the tarp over it is either helping it cure overnight or is keeping the area relatively dry prior to pouring concrete).

http://www.wildgravitytravels.com/kings-island-2020-update-11-work-site-and-track-update/

AF390933-6B4C-4308-9516-925E1D6F0463.jpeg

7D7B8781-D68F-4057-8B1D-538813FD8504.jpeg

C889B8C6-8F55-4EF3-9482-6F2D808A49E0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, txdrummer said:

I don't think the park will suspend operations for the new coaster as Racer, WindSeeker, and Vortex all remain open before and during the fireworks. Beast is the only one that suspends operations for the fireworks.

This is directly between Beast and the Fireworks pad. 

1 hour ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Just wondering, how many pieces of track are usually for a Coaster this length?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Also will this be Kings Island most expensive coaster or will Banshee still hold that record

Banshee was $24M. Leviathan was $28M in 2012, and Project X will almost certainly be that much or more. 

EDIT: Beat to the punch, lol. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm looking forward to announcement day. I wonder if it will be announced midday like the antique cars or after 10 pm like Banshee and Mystic Timbers. 

I feel confident that it will be at night. My theory is that in order to do the video they have to have darkness for a projector. Antique cars wasn't a huge announcement so they were able to do it during the day because they were indoors. This will be a huge announcement with lots of people there so will have to be outside, most likely at the site.

I predict the video will be on a projector screen hung on the side of the FOF building with the announcement around 10pm on a Saturday, probably August 10th

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, XBeastGirlX said:

I feel confident that it will be at night. My theory is that in order to do the video they have to have darkness for a projector. Antique cars wasn't a huge announcement so they were able to do it during the day because they were indoors. This will be a huge announcement with lots of people there so will have to be outside, most likely at the site.

I predict the video will be on a projector screen hung on the side of the FOF building with the announcement around 10pm on a Saturday, probably August 10th

Usually announcements are held on Thursdays, but things can change. 

• Like 4

I predict the announcement will be in mid to late August. If they are going to wait so long to put teasers up, they probably don’t want to announcement it only a few weeks later. I also hope the teaser campaign is more involved like Carowinds’ was last year and not like Mystic Timbers’ teaser campaign. I say if we don’t see teasers by the end of next weekend, there are not going to be any at all. I really do hope that is not the case though!

• Like 1

This might relate more to year-round parks such as Universal and Disney, but I believe that teasing a big attraction too early can sometimes hurt the park. Especially with Grand Carnivale happening, and still more of the summer to go, KI wouldn't want to deter guests from visiting now and instead coming next summer. It needs to be timed right to ensure enough people are still pumped about KI this summer, but are also excited about next.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe because they were focused on the 2019 additions and they didn't want teasing to overshine Grand Carnivale

2019 addition* KMAA is really all there is. I don't think new pavers and fixing a clock that's been broken for a long time would count as an addition.

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I say if we don’t see teasers by the end of next weekend, there are not going to be any at all. I really do hope that is not the case though!

I agree. I'm starting to wonder whether or not we'll really see anything at all. People keep making the "they have to keep us focused on this year or else everyone will wait to come until next year" argument again and again. Here's the thing though: it's been clear since day 1 they were building something. It's to the point where the fact KI is building a new Coaster really isn't news, everyone already knows and everyone is already curious. In my opinion, the way they've chosen to handle the whole thing is just boring, and also a wasted opportunity to get people hyped up and excited about the park. Look at what BGW is doing right now and tell me you wouldn't find that much more interesting. The whole "nothing to see here" act when you've knocked down a coaster, cleared a bunch of land next to it, and are clearly beginning construction is just kind of a joke honestly.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

2019 addition* KMAA is really all there is. I don't think new pavers and fixing a clock that's been broken for a long time would count as an addition.

I agree. I'm starting to wonder whether or not we'll really see anything at all. People keep making the "they have to keep us focused on this year or else everyone will wait to come until next year" argument again and again. Here's the thing though: it's been clear since day 1 they were building something. It's to the point where the fact KI is building a new Coaster really isn't news, everyone already knows and everyone is already curious. In my opinion, the way they've chosen to handle the whole thing is just boring, and also a wasted opportunity to get people hyped up and excited about the park. Look at what BGW is doing right now and tell me you wouldn't find that much more interesting. The whole "nothing to see here" act when you've knocked down a coaster, cleared a bunch of land next to it, and are clearly beginning construction is just kind of a joke honestly.

Wcpo actually did an interview with Chad before the park opened and actually asked about the speculation of a giga and Chad responded by talking about focusing on this season first. And actually a revamped international street along with the antique cars is a big deal to them. Also, I don't think they just won't do anything. I'm sure we'll be seeing something soon to tease this thing. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Wcpo actually did an interview with Chad before the park opened and actually asked about the speculation of a giga and Chad responded by talking about focusing on this season first. And actually a revamped international street along with the antique cars is a big deal to them. Also, I don't think they just won't do anything. I'm sure we'll be seeing something soon to tease this thing. 

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that's not what their doing, I'm saying I think it's boring, and I don't agree that it would keep people from visiting this season. Also, of course he did that was opening day or near to it. As for the teasers, I'm not saying we won't see any, but the more time that goes by the less likely I think it will be.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

**DOUBLE POST**

Here is the link to that interview I mentioned.

I'm aware of this but I'm not sure what you're trying to prove ...I'm giving my opinion of what they're doing, not arguing about what their reasoning is.

• Like 2

They probably teased on day 1 for Banshee and Mystic Timbers because there was no notable addition to the dry park in the years that they were teased. This year there actually is a new ride along with a brand new event. The park knows that with this new throwback ride and a new immersive event along with a bunch of added nostalgia that there will be people who will make the trip out to Kings Island just for this. There are probably many people in other parts of Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky who don’t make it to the park every year, but they do make a trip out when there is something new. If the park were to tease from day 1, some of these people would just skip this year and come in 2020 for the new ride. Obviously, like Chad said in the WCPO interview (thank you @Hawaiian Coasters 325), the park was doing everything they could to focus attention on 2019 and not 2020. Unfortunately for them, a lot of enthusiasts and some GP already know what is happening.

I know that 2016 did bring Tropical Plunge, and teasers showed up on day 1, but I don’t think people come in from other states and drive hours and hours to go to Soak City. If they only had one day at Kings Island every year, I think they would most certainly want to be riding the rides.

• Like 1

The reason Cedar Fair probably isn't teasing this coaster as much as past coasters at KI is because they don't have to. It's already been on the news, blogs, and other sites showing No Limits creations, etc. before the footers were even poured. This coaster has probably gotten more publicity without KI dropping a hint than any other coaster, ever!  It is FREE ADVERTISEMENT!! 

• Like 5

It's also a possibility that KI just is not doing a teaser campaign or have not yet conceptualized one yet.

Considering how much or the attraction is known already they may have had to cancel or rework it... Or maybe again just did not work on one.

• Like 1

An idea I just thought of is they could do something similar to how Cedar Point teased Valravn. What they did was on the Valravn construction fence, they did a billboard for each operating coaster and put them up in order of when they opened basically as a timeline. Since this coaster is such a big deal for the park, it would kinda make sense imo to build up to the major announcement by looking at the past rollercoasters they added. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

An idea I just thought of is they could do something similar to how Cedar Point teased Valravn. What they did was on the Valravn construction fence, they did a billboard for each operating coaster and put them up in order of when they opened basically as a timeline. Since this coaster is such a big deal for the park, it would kinda make sense imo to build up to the major announcement by looking at the past rollercoasters they added. 

Like this maybe?

2C183FAC-77F8-449C-84D5-996C7DF779B6.png

• Like 3

• malem locked this topic