Decoding 2020

fryoj

Just now, BeeastFarmer said:

You know, sometimes people just want to push the envelope. If the park has a policy, I follow it. It doesn't matter to me if it is on firm or shakey legal ground. If that's what the park wants, why go against their wishes? By extension, this site agrees with the parks wishes. So naturally, they are going to moderate with those wishes in mind. For those who don't like that, it may be time to accept that or move on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It’s not on firm or shaky ground.  Kings Island has NO LEGAL GROUND to ban drones over the park.  Only the FAA does, and only under certain conditions.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

You know, sometimes people just want to push the envelope. If the park has a policy, I follow it. It doesn't matter to me if it is on firm or shakey legal ground. If that's what the park wants, why go against their wishes? By extension, this site agrees with the parks wishes. So naturally, they are going to moderate with those wishes in mind. For those who don't like that, it may be time to accept that or move on.

I also follow park policies...no one here broke any park policies, that's a big part of the point here. You may not think it's worth the discussion but this is clearly not the first time this has been an issue. I didn't participate, but I saw in a thread from before the park opened that this came up before over someone taking aerial photos of I Street. It's clearly a point of contention around here, so I don't think the best solution is "if you don't agree with it leave".

• Like 2

It’s not on firm or shaky ground.  Kings Island has NO LEGAL GROUND to ban drones over the park.  Only the FAA does, and only under certain conditions.
Cedar Fair's legal department may or may not agree with your statement. But the point of my post was that this site has made it clear that they are going to abide by the wishes of the park and moderate that way. I doubt the park or the moderators (I don't speak for either, only my opinion) will change their policy going forward. If people have an issue with it, is it worth the philosophical ponderance? Is it worth the time to argue about it?

• Like 1

I also follow park policies...no one here broke any park policies, that's a big part of the point here. You may not think it's worth the discussion but this is clearly not the first time this has been an issue. I didn't participate, but I saw in a thread from before the park opened that this came up before over someone taking aerial photos of I Street. It's clearly a point of contention around here, so I don't think the best solution is "if you don't agree with it leave".
I was under the impression that someone did break the parks drone policy, shared it and it got shared here. The mods removed the post. It's International Street all over again! Too much drama.

48 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Not sure if you are oblivious to the point or are intentionally ignoring it, but as to your answer, the park has no legal standing for that rule. 

The park has every right to ban people from the park for violating its rules. They also don’t want copy cats going back and causing issues. This really isn’t hard to understand. Take all the pictures you want from a plane, tower anywhere really but drone flying over the park which is clearly seen in the video is not allowed by the park. And that drone is clearly over the KI property. 

What im trying to tell you is for the park this is a no no and the forum wants to keep a good relationship. Don’t be dense. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Not sure if you've been reading everything here, but the question isn't whether Kings Island has a Drone Policy or not....

It actually is this is all I’ve stated. And the reason why the forum wouldn’t want it linked. 

I admitted earlier I misspoke about it being illegal when I actually meant it is prohibited by the park. 

5 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Cedar Fair's legal department may or may not agree with your statement. But the point of my post was that this site has made it clear that they are going to abide by the wishes of the park and moderate that way. I doubt the park or the moderators (I don't speak for either, only my opinion) will change their policy going forward. If people have an issue with it, is it worth the philosophical ponderance? Is it worth the time to argue about it? emoji1745.pngemoji125.pngemoji1708.pngemoji2788.png

Cedar Fair’s legal department can kick rocks.  Read up on the regulations for yourself.  Just because they ban the use of drones IN THE PARK doesn’t mean someone can’t fly one over it.  Kings Island (or any property owner, for that matter) does not own the airspace above their property.  

And like I said, this site catering to every whim of Kings Island, while claiming to be an independent site, is disingenuous at best.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Cedar Fair’s legal department can kick rocks.  Read up on the regulations for yourself.  Just because they ban the use of drones IN THE PARK doesn’t mean someone can’t fly one over it.  Kings Island (or any property owner, for that matter) does not own the airspace above their property.  

And like I said, this site catering to every whim of Kings Island, while claiming to be an independent site, is disingenuous at best.

i get what you're saying here and fully agree that that video technically didn't break any park rule, the person is not operating the drone within park property, i can be see they took off from a location off park property which does not break park rules, and the drone itself is not operating on park property as it is in airspace above said park. Kings Island doesn't own the airspace so its not their property which means it didn't break their park guidelines. there is no reason that video should not be available for viewing on this site as such. even if the park dislikes that it was shot in not park property airspace showcasing the park property their is absolutely nothing they can do about it, and they're is as such no reason it shouldn't be allowed on this website just as the aerial photos from planes are allowed. *boom lawyered*

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

This kind of stuff is what drives people to Facebook and other sites for information and updates rather than here. 

And to those people I would say the same thing we say at work when someone complains about their job....don’t let the door hit you on the way out. ;)

8 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

It’s in the mods and admins best interest because it keeps them invited to events and media just like TPR. 

The funny thing here is I agree with posting whatever because it’s not Kings Islands page but I understand why they do it the way they do 

Getting back to the topic of the mural near Antique Autos, I find it interesting that Zodiac is mentioned at least 2 or 3 times in the area (most while riding the Autos). It did bother me (as I wondered why advertisements for Zodiac would be used in such quick succession), but there could also be another reason why Zodiac is referenced so frequently. Time will tell...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fryoj said:

The park also doesn't like aerial photos from planes or nearmap images if you believe what's been posted here before. 

Your statement is misleading... 

The park didnt have a fit with the plane pictures. Mr. Showalter even told me in person that he liked seeing them, and even stated he would like to fly with us some day. What they did however have an issue with, was letting their "secrets" out. Here is a private message I received from him in regards to the pictures.

"The administrators of KIC and the other social channels (Instagram,Twitter, etc.)  you post on provide their own Terms of Service.  Of course our leadership is concerned when photos 'leak' that aren't in line with our messaging strategy, so I can offer the advice that if you see us talking about something on our social channels or blog, then it is safe to assume it's fair game."

So, cleared that up for you guys. 

• Like 3

^it makes it less clear actually...so are photos of the blueprints allowed since they haven't been discussed on their social media stuff?  What about photos of the construction taking place - that hasn't been mentioned....

The clearer it is tried to be made, the less clear it gets....along with the rising frustration level of the forum members...

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, APE said:

The park has every right to ban people from the park for violating its rules. They also don’t want copy cats going back and causing issues. This really isn’t hard to understand. Take all the pictures you want from a plane, tower anywhere really but drone flying over the park which is clearly seen in the video is not allowed by the park. And that drone is clearly over the KI property. 

What im trying to tell you is for the park this is a no no and the forum wants to keep a good relationship. Don’t be dense. 

I TOTALLY understand why they don't want drones over the park. This is not even remotely the same as flying over someone's property when they just don't want you to. Drones can be purchased by anyone for less than $100. Imagine kids or people who don't know what they are doing flying drones over people when one could fall, either by user error or drone malfunction, and seriously injure a person or falling or flying into a train full of people speeding by on a ride, or landing on a track. Just too many things that could cause serious injury or death if the no drone policy isn't strictly inforced. The high percentage of the general public having drones is still relatively new so laws haven't caught up yet. It is illigal in Cincinnati to fly them over parks for safety reasons, it just don't apply to KI. 

I don't know about the other stuff with the fountains people we're talking about, but I 100% understand KIC wanting to maintain a good relationship with the park as far as not hosting drone videos that went against park rules. It doesn't seem like a big deal until you get multiple people doing it, an accident happens, someone is injured (or worse, killed), and then KI is sued. Obviously a plane has a lisenced pilot and is a totally different story, so I'd rather just support people like @sixohdieselrage and @Captain Nemo who get us awesome footage without breaking KI rules. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, APE said:

The park can ban people for any reason. They don't need to be violating rules. They can not press charges or take any legal action over them flying a drone over an uninhabited area though. The FAA regulations on this have been posted. 

I know the park is against drones and the mods are going to do what the park asks. Nothing in my posts suggested otherwise.

As for being dense, I asked where the line between the park not allowing drones and the board deleting the vids and the park not wanting to talk about the new coaster but plans being posted here was, and you responded about a physical property line. :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Your statement is misleading... 

The park didnt have a fit with the plane pictures. Mr. Showalter even told me in person that he liked seeing them, and even stated he would like to fly with us some day. What they did however have an issue with, was letting their "secrets" out. Here is a private message I received from him in regards to the pictures.

"The administrators of KIC and the other social channels (Instagram,Twitter, etc.)  you post on provide their own Terms of Service.  Of course our leadership is concerned when photos 'leak' that aren't in line with our messaging strategy, so I can offer the advice that if you see us talking about something on our social channels or blog, then it is safe to assume it's fair game."

So, cleared that up for you guys. 

Yeah, so what was the secret about the Firehawk plot they were wanting to protect after O'roukre had been posting vids all fall from there? The Nearmap pics of that site were deleted too. And we both know a fit was thrown about those pics. I've seen the screen caps...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

We treated this just like a YouTube phone POV video. It is not illegal to do that either, but against park policy and we do not allow them here either. 

KIC should be the example of following park policy, whether we agree or is legal or not.

Double. Minor correction as the on ride vids are actually illegal. Someone posted it a while back, but the actual code says you must follow posted park rules on rides or its a misdemeanor. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Double. Minor correction as the on ride vids are actually illegal. Someone posted it a while back, but the actual code says you must follow posted park rules on rides or its a misdemeanor. 

Good point, I will update.

8 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Yeah, so what was the secret about the Firehawk plot they were wanting to protect after O'roukre had been posting vids all fall from there? The Nearmap pics of that site were deleted too. And we both know a fit was thrown about those pics. I've seen the screen caps...

That's a question for KIC. Not so much the park. As stated, that response was directly from the Director of Communications at the park. 

I'm not sure I follow you...

16 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Let me say I was not happy when I saw it. 

Not trying to sound like a jerk but it doesn't really concern you, or any of us for that matter. There are hundreds of pictures and videos online that were illegal but we've all been guilty of viewing them. Its kinda silly to get heated about something that we have no control over. This is an independent forum that isn't employed by the park. As long as we as individuals follow the parks rules and guidlines, we shouldn't have to worry about others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Not trying to sound like a jerk but it doesn't really concern you, or any of us for that matter. There are hundreds of pictures and videos on youtube that were illegal but we've all been guilty of viewing them. Its kinda silly to get heated about something that we have no control over. This is an independent forum that isn't employed by the park. As long as we as individuals follow the parks rules and guidlines, we shouldn't have to worry about others.

We have to worry about said others when they are being jerks in front of you on a ride with their phone out and it gets loose and hits you or a loved one in the face.  This has happened to members on the forum...

9 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

We have to worry about said others when they are being jerks in front of you on a ride with their phone out and it gets loose and hits you or a loved one in the face.  This has happened to members on the forum...

No one is arguing in favor of people carrying phones on rides, but it is a little over the top to get upset when you see a bootleg POV on youtube. Actually seeing it in the park when there's something to be done about it is something else.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Like what what Idhudsonjr said if, I was on the ride when people had their phones out, I'd get mad.

But when you're sitting at home watching people do it, its not worth getting upset over- its out of your control.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

No one is arguing in favor of people carrying phones on rides, but it is a little over the top to get upset when you see a bootleg POV on youtube. Actually seeing it in the park when there's something to be done about it is something else.

4 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Like what what Idhudsonjr said if, I was on the ride when people had their phones out, I'd get mad.

But when you're sitting at home watching people do it, its not worth getting upset over- its out of your control.

I agree, but I have mentioned before in other threads regarding POVs, most of these people that post these POVs do so under their real name and it would be real easy for the parks to revoke their pass or forbid entry into the park again...and until that happens and people realize their is a price for violating policy, it will continue...hopefully the recent policy if the ride op sees a phone out and they call security and they get ejected will have an impact, but their is more the park can do to hold violators accountable.  Plus sitting at home watching people make these POVs, we could also flag the videos as illegal and hope YouTube and other sites would take them down, but I think that should be an issue that CF as a large corporation would have better leverage to make happen...

5 minutes ago, thatguyfromohio said:

00fbb1587b5dc8e2f55cb34ae04b3b64.jpg
Kings Island went good with the UFO theme, they can announce the ride on the day of Area 51 thing emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could drop a video that day that shows a group of KI enthusiasts who after spending months feverishly "decoding" the new ride become so obsessed with figuring out the name of the ride they band together to storm the Cedar Fair offices. They can't stop us all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• malem locked this topic