Decoding 2020

fryoj

Why would they tease anything at this point? We know what it is going to be and they know we know, plus, it would be another build up to a possible let down to something that's no where near the scale that most people thought it would be.  It costs money to tease and this design seemingly is something they worked with B&M to save money. That is pretty obvious in how they used the ravine to achieve the 301 foot drop as opposed to going up higher and spending more money on steel to make it bigger and longer. In my opinion from the look of it so far, it is a " just barely good enough" giga,  that's technically a hyper with a giga drop into a ravine. So, no reason to spend anymore money on teasing something that is going to raise the overall cost  of the project when the overall goal was to save money on this in the first place. 

• Like 2

"we" obsessively follow the every move of construction. The people who bring in the revenue, for the most part, don't. Tease or no tease, I'm excited for this ride, but I tend to hold judgement until I've actually ridden a new ride.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BeeastFarmer said:

"we" obsessively follow the every move of construction. The people who bring in the revenue, for the most part, don't. Tease or no tease, I'm excited for this ride, but I tend to hold judgement until I've actually ridden a new ride.

Don't get me wrong, this could still be a great ride. I just think "we" includes more people than us coaster nerds in this case because the local news channels have already been talking about this ride for some time and KI has yet to drop a hint. So, a lot more people know about this project than just us. That is probably another reason they have not hinted yet. It's free advertising and that saves money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't get me wrong, this could still be a great ride. I just think "we" includes more people than us coaster nerds in this case because the local news channels have already been talking about this ride for some time and KI has yet to drop a hint. So, a lot more people know about this project than just us. That is probably another reason they have not hinted yet. It's free advertising and that saves money. 
I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood your post. The gp knows a new "GiGa" coaster is coming in the local area. But outside the enthusiast community and Cincinnati, it's not a thing. Folks around here always say that just because they have done things a certain way in the past, doesn't mean they will in the future. I just think this is a demonstration of that. Or it could be thematic:. " Our pr folks would have told the story in June, but the aliens abducted them from the fearful flight but they returned to xbase in Orion.".

2 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

Why would they tease anything at this point? We know what it is going to be and they know we know, plus, it would be another build up to a possible let down to something that's no where near the scale that most people thought it would be.  It costs money to tease and this design seemingly is something they worked with B&M to save money. That is pretty obvious in how they used the ravine to achieve the 301 foot drop as opposed to going up higher and spending more money on steel to make it bigger and longer. In my opinion from the look of it so far, it is a " just barely good enough" giga,  that's technically a hyper with a giga drop into a ravine. So, no reason to spend anymore money on teasing something that is going to raise the overall cost  of the project when the overall goal was to save money on this in the first place. 

Actually, the people doing the teasing will be the marketing team. They are almost certainly salaried staff, so it really isn't going to cost them anything. KI probably has their own print shop, so a few signs on a fence is going to cost almost nothing. 

At this point though, I think any teasing will be tied to when they set the announcement date, and, more importantly, when 2020 gold passes go on sale. 

• Like 1

A $30 million coaster can’t really be considered a budget coaster imo. The reason I believe it is smaller than, say, Fury is because the GP. CF obviously wants a ride that appeals massively to the GP. Fury does this well, but it still seems like too much for the average person imo. It is almost always less than a 10 minute wait. It is incredibly smooth and overall a very comfortable ride, but I will say the lats are pretty strong, and I could definitely see the GP thinking they’re too much. It makes sense for CF to try to scale it back to appeal more to the GP.

I’m not saying Fury isn’t a popular ride, part of why the line is so short is that it absolutely tears through crowds. I’m just saying it seems like CF is trying to get the best balance between a high thrill ride that draws in people from all over and one that locals will love and keep coming back for for years to come. As has been said too many times to count on here, CF and KI are a business. They aren’t really looking to cater to enthusiasts. They want money. Kiga will most likely deliver on getting people in the first year or two after it is built. What they want is it to keep bringing back people in the long run. With KIs focus on being more of a family park than, say, CP, a less intense giga seems like the most logical choice from a business standpoint.

Who knows, it might be more intense than Fury. This is just why I believe it is what it is. If CF was really looking to cut costs or wanted a “cheap” coaster, KI wouldn’t even be getting a giga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

Still not sure why people say this is a “budget giga” seriously. A $30 million coaster can’t really be considered a budget coaster imo. The reason I believe it is smaller than, say, Fury is because the GP. CF obviously wants a ride that appeals massively to the GP. Fury does this well, but it still seems like too much for the average person imo. It is almost always less than a 10 minute wait. It is incredibly smooth and overall a very comfortable ride, but I will say the lats are pretty strong, and I could definitely see the GP thinking they’re too much. It makes sense for CF to try to scale it back to appeal more to the GP.

I’m not saying Fury isn’t a popular ride, part of why the line is so short is that it absolutely tears through crowds. I’m just saying it seems like CF is trying to get the best balance between a high thrill ride that draws in people from all over and one that locals will love and keep coming back for for years to come. As has been said too many times to count on here, CF and KI are a business. They aren’t really looking to cater to enthusiasts. They want money. Kiga will most likely deliver on getting people in the first year or two after it is built. What they want is it to keep bringing back people in the long run. With KIs focus on being more of a family park than, say, CP, a less intense giga seems like the most logical choice from a business standpoint.

Who knows, it might be more intense than Fury. This is just why I believe it is what it is. If CF was really looking to cut costs or wanted a “cheap” coaster, KI wouldn’t even be getting a giga.

Theres also the possibility that to make a coaster taller, faster and longer than Fury, they would had to pay $40 million and that just wasn't in the budget.

• Like 3

If it wasn’t in they budget, and they honestly believed the ROI would be higher by building it bigger, I think they would wait until it was in the budget. Considering they own multiple parks, if budget was their main concern and they wanted to build it bigger, they would hold off on upgrades to other parks and KI itself to make it in the budget. KI isn’t a family owned and run park that only has to upkeep itself. CF is a chain. If they wanted to, they could go all out on a specific park (as is often seen with CP). Apparently they don’t think KI needs a record breaker, so KI doesn’t get a record breaker.

I’m not saying the cost wasn’t a factor, I’m just saying cost itself probably wasn’t the main factor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

^So it’s weird that CP builds family coasters when it’s known as a high thrill park? No, because there needs to be a mix. And saying any 300’ tall coaster isn’t intense is plain crazy. I never once said adding 30’ would make it too intense. In fact I argued the high lat turns on fury were what made it so intense, not the height. I believe the reason this coaster seems overall not as intense as Fury is similar to why CF did not get Intamin to build Levi or fury (yes I understand other reason wee in place as well). I305 is NOT a GP pleaser. It is almost always empty, even though many enthusiasts believe it to be one of the best coasters in the world. Intensity is a main factor in that. Bringing up what you said about Banshee, haven’t you noticed how it is almost always empty compared to other rides in the park? As with fury, this is partly due to it being a people eater. On the contrary, many people think it is to intense or “too much” as I’ve heard quite a bit. Meanwhile, look at DB, MT, and Beast. Three not as intense coasters that are consistently the longest lines in the park. These coasters are GP pleasers. Now, if you were a major company looking at a large future investment, would you rather invest more money in something less people will like, or less money in something more people will like?

Just look to the other North American gigas. I cannot speak directly for Levi as I have never been to CW and I have not heard much about it in terms of GP. Out of the other three, however, Millennium Force consistently pulls the longest lines and most GP I’ve talked to/heard at CP love it. I can’t say the same for the other two gigas. Millennium Force is also the least intense out of the three imo.

I’m just saying, CF doesn’t really care about enthusiasts as much as they care about GP as enthusiasts make up a tiny fraction of their guests. Yes it would be awesome to have Fury 2.0. Heck, as I’ve said I may be completely wrong about this coaster being less intense than fury. We don’t know. We also don’t know the price tag of this coaster. We just have to wait and see what it’s like and how much it costs. Maybe then we’ll start to figure out why they did what they did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the park wanted to build a giga, and they thought why spend the extra $10 million on the ride when you would get the same outcome while saving that $10 million. The park probably looks at buying a new rollercoaster through a cost to outcome ratio, in which a higher attendance is the better outcome.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think the park wanted to build a giga, and they thought why spend the extra $10 million on the ride when you would get the same outcome while saving that $10 million. The park probably looks at buying a new rollercoaster through a cost to outcome ratio, in which a higher attendance is the better outcome.

And they can use that money to draw in more people with even more new attractions in later years. Wasn’t MT like 9 million? If an extra 10 feet on our giga would have cost an extra few mil and it came down to a taller ride, OR shorter giga and more money for new upgrades or rides next year, I totally see picking the second option. 

• Like 6

Just now, FUN&ONLY! said:

I was just about to say this, but you made it WAY more compact. LOL. A 296 foot coaster with a 301 foot drop (which will probably have its height listed as 301 feet- Leviathan's height appears shorter than its drop too but they claim 306 feet for it) is gonna draw in just as many of the local GP as a monster Giga with a 330 foot height, bigger drop of 320-340 feet, and 1000+ foot more track that costs 5-10+ million more (with cost of steel, probably closer to 10m). All the bigger coaster would really do is draw in more enthusiasts from far away and since Kings Island lacks its own Hotel, they can't make too much money of that the way Cedar Point can since CP has Hotel Breakers, Express Hotel, the Log Cabins, and more (Cedar Point and KI have almost the same attendance, yet CP makes tons more money, and I think the Hotels are the big reason why that is). Carowinds also already had cabins, and is now getting its own Hotel this fall. However Kings Island also can't really get its own Hotel because now Great Wolf Lodge exists. They- and the other local hotels- would be the ones getting most of the extra money from distant travellers if KI did go all-out and build a monster Giga. Had KI never let that land go, Cedar Fair could have built KI its own Hotel, and suddenly record-breaking coasters to attract more guests from farther away than KI's main cities would make more sense as now the park could make more money off them.

• Like 3

Doesn't the height calculated from the blueprints assume the ground elevation is the same as the elevation at the beginning of the lift? Or is it based on a footer height underneath it? I have a feeling the height of the ride will be announced with the glorious 300.. but it's just a hunch :p

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

Doesn't the height calculated from the blueprints assume the ground elevation is the same as the elevation at the beginning of the lift? Or is it based on a footer height underneath it? I have a feeling the height of the ride will be announced with the glorious 300.. but it's just a hunch :p

The height of the ground at the top of the lift is higher than at the base. Measured at the top of the lift it's only 286 ft. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

I really hope we get some teasers soon or new footer blueprints to decode. This thread is getting unbearable with all the trivial arguments.

Fly your drones all you want but this site has already made clear they can’t be posted here.

There will be teasers. KI wouldn’t build their largest coaster ever and not tease it. That’s not how things work nowadays. There is an expectation of teasers with social media and they won’t fail us. It doesn’t matter who knows what, they will want to generate excitement for season pass sales next year.

Fury 325 didn’t start teasing til July 7th. I know we’re all excited but give it time.

Absolutely correct ohiocoasterfan, we saw the go cart track fence over by Hurler sporting this banner on that very date.

7-07-14-1-goldsteh.jpg

pic courtesy of Carowinds Connection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KingsMills79 said:

Absolutely correct ohiocoasterfan, we saw the go cart track fence over by Hurler sporting this banner on that very date.

7-07-14-1-goldsteh.jpg

pic courtesy of Carowinds Connection

That was on a Monday... I guess it doesn’t have to be on a weekend for teasers to go up!

• Like 2

Ok so I went and looked at the announcement dates for all the recent coasters.

Mystic Timbers - July 28th

Banshee - August 9th

Diamondback - August 6th

If we average out the recent 3 coaster announcement dates, we get August 6th for our announcement. This is likely not our exact date, but it will be near that. I'd give it 2 days in both directions. We can expect  an announcement from August 4th - August 8th.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nutterie said:

Ok so I went and looked at the announcement dates for all the recent coasters.

Mystic Timbers - July 28th

Banshee - August 9th

Diamondback - August 6th

If we average out the recent 3 coaster announcement dates, we get August 6th for our announcement. This is likely not our exact date, but it will be near that. I'd give it 2 days in both directions. We can expect  an announcement from August 4th - August 8th.

It will more than likely be on National Rollercoaster Day Friday August 16th, as they did for Antique Autos last year. 

• Like 2

I am not positive that they will be doing the announcement on National Rollercoaster Day because the reason the Antique Cars were announced then last year was because it was the anniversary of them being removed. Also, no other recent rollers announcements for Kings Island have been on that day. I also think many other parks will make announcements on that day, and I am sure Kings Island wants to gave the full media attention they deserve for their new ride. Luckily, though in @Fye Coasters case, the announcement has a good chance of being after 10:00 PM (like previous announcements) so hopefully your work does not conflict with the time. I hope you will be able to attend no matter the day!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I am not positive that they will be doing the announcement on National Rollercoaster Day because the reason the Antique Cars were announced then last year was because it was the anniversary of them being removed. Also, no other recent rollers announcements for Kings Island have been on that day. I also think many other parks will make announcements on that day, and I am sure Kings Island wants to gave the full media attention they deserve for their new ride. Luckily, though in @Fye Coasters case, the announcements has a good chance of being after 10:00 PM (like previous announcements) so hopefully your work does not conflict with the time. I hope you will be able to attend no matter the day! 

Hopefully it's not on a Friday as well, that would be a nightmare.

• Like 1

• malem locked this topic