Decoding 2020

fryoj

If there were a day to start teasing, it would be today, the 16th. It is exactly one month from the 16th of August, which is National Roller Coaster Day. It is also the anniversary of Apollo 11, which kinda fits the theme of the new ride.

• Like 2

Well Saturday is the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, so there is always that :)

Of course that stuff only plays well if it is indeed themed after space in some sort as the registered names would indicate. 

July 16th is national snake day, so perhaps we're getting Dad of Diamondback

July 17th is Yellow Pig day, Cinci is known as porkopolis

July 25th is Culinarians day.... Chef James Major coaster.

Aug 2nd is National Beer day.  Has a coaster ever been themed to beer (maybe they pull a switcheroo and we're actually getting the brown track)

Aug 3rd is Grab Some Nuts day.....  I'll just let you fill in the rest

Its also National Clown Day...Sad Clown coaster for all the intamin fanboys.

Aug 4th is national forgiveness day, when they make up for the previous day's announcement of the Sad Clown coaster by announcing a 500 foot tall, multi looping Intamin

As you can see, there are all kind of days to start teasing and/or make an announcement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, medford said:

Aug 2nd is National Beer day.  Has a coaster ever been themed to beer (maybe they pull a switcheroo and we're actually getting the brown track)

SoB should have been sponsored by a beer company.

My national beer day at KI happened after my first trip on SoB in 2000 (3rd or 4th trip from Erie....)

I was so shaken, I needed to sit down at the Beer Garden for a few.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

hA hA yEs A CoUplE ThOUsaNd

We have a couple thousand people on here going to the park? 

That's why I said " on here".

Someone mad a good point about what today is with Apollo 11 and could see teasers starting today.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Someone mad a good point about what today is with Apollo 11 and could see teasers starting today.

Nah..another entity has the NASA/Apollo IP license:P:P:P

Plus Apollo 11 was groundbreaking with lots of firsts...this coaster not so much....so why would the park want to risk that contradiction to ruin the announcement...

Our coaster isn't the Moonshot as the drop is a larger distance than the lift distance:P

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Plus Apollo 11 was groundbreaking with lots of firsts...this coaster not so much....so why would the park want to risk that contradiction to ruin the announcement...

Our coaster isn't the Moonshot as the drop is a larger distance than the lift distance:P

Ok now you are just reading too much into it lol

Question regarding the perception of the “height:” if I’ve understood this thread correctly, the top of the lift measured to the ground it sits above comes in at “296 ft,” correct? 

And the drop, by virtue of plunging into a ravine, technically comes in at “301 ft” right? 

If I got that right—and you were to build out this coaster on a completely flat and level plane of earth, wouldn’t that technically make the ride a “giga” in that it would be over 300 ft tall? 

I know the “giga” and “hyper” terms are arbitrary, just trying to think how the ride may be promoted. In that above scenario, could you technically state that the ride is 300 or 300+ feet tall?

• Like 4

I feel with this coaster is a sorta giga haha. IMO the lift hill needs to be 300+ to be called a giga and not just the drop, but I can see it the other was as well. Its just odd to me why not just make it the 4 feet extra  to have it be a lift at 300 feet and have the drop be what 305 feet?  Idk it seems off to me on that mind set of who ever came up with that idea.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I mean, they did announce KMAA on National Rollercoaster Day. Which, granted, most of us knew that wasnt the actual reason they announced it that day. But, still. lol

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Question regarding the perception of the “height:” if I’ve understood this thread correctly, the top of the lift measured to the ground it sits above comes in at “296 ft,” correct? 

And the drop, by virtue of plunging into a ravine, technically comes in at “301 ft” right? 

If I got that right—and you were to build out this coaster on a completely flat and level plane of earth, wouldn’t that technically make the ride a “giga” in that it would be over 300 ft tall? 

I know the “giga” and “hyper” terms are arbitrary, just trying to think how the ride may be promoted. In that above scenario, could you technically state that the ride is 300 or 300+ feet tall?

The lift is 286 ft above the ground. It's 296 ft above the ground at the station. The first drop dips below the zero plane at the station. Yes if you completely flattened the ground, that would raise the entire ride and the lift would be over 300 ft. But you don't measure height that way. If you are standing next to a ditch, you don't say you are 10 ft tall. The truth is the lift will be 286 ft tall where it stands. 

But they aren't going to promote it that way. They really just have to advertise giga and 301 ft drop. John Matarese isn't going to stand there and grill them over semantics on live TV. Once it opens, no one is going to care about how tall the lift really is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Can someone explain to me how we got the height and drop of this coaster, I have no idea how to read blueprints and it’s probably simple math but I don’t want to be wrong lol.

The electric plan gives the high points and low points of the track. Subtraction gives you the drop. Both plans give you the footer/slab height at the station of 740'(above sea level). The foundation plan gives you the footer locations and heights at all of the footers, including the ones at the high point of the lift. Those subtracted from the height on the electrical plan gives you the height of the lift above the ground. 

• Like 2

Tbh I sorta feel bad for the park because they are trying to make people happy and excited for this new coaster but a lot of coaster enthusiast are underestimating this ride and how fun it will be. This ride is going to be amazing , although it will be short, it will pack a punch! I’ve never risen a giga coaster before but I’ve seen povs and leviathan looks amazing also but I’m thinking this will be better

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, fryoj said:

The lift is 286 ft above the ground. It's 296 ft above the ground at the station. The first drop dips below the zero plane at the station. Yes if you completely flattened the ground, that would raise the entire ride and the lift would be over 300 ft. But you don't measure height that way. If you are standing next to a ditch, you don't say you are 10 ft tall. The truth is the lift will be 286 ft tall where it stands. 

But they aren't going to promote it that way. They really just have to advertise giga and 301 ft drop. John Matarese isn't going to stand there and grill them over semantics on live TV. Once it opens, no one is going to care about how tall the lift really is. 

No doubt, just curious if I was understanding it properly. 

• Like 2

• malem locked this topic