Decoding 2020

fryoj

I was at the park yesterday. Took the kids up in the tower for the first time in their lives, and took some time to study the construction site. Didn't see any real new work done other than maybe some new holes in the ground. Later in the day there were some trucks parked over there by the footers that have already been poured. It's like the whole thing has kind of slowed for a minute. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Can someone please answer my question

I am not sure about as a rollercoaster, but I know the trademark exists for a certain Disney-owned blockbuster. Now I am not sure if that would get in the way, because it has been out for 21 years and diving into copyright quandaries can be like jumping headfirst into a black hole.

My favorite copyright story involves Ghostbusters. Over a decade before it came out, there was a Larry Stork show called The Ghost Busters. They initially weren't sure they could call it that, so they tried other titles, such as Ghostsmashers. Somehow they were able to use the title, but when it came time for the animated series, for some reason Filmation was doing their own version of that Larry Stork show, and thus gave birth to The Real Ghostbusters

But anyway, if there isn't another ride by that title, then I believe the roadblocks would come from anyone owning the trademarks that affect merchandise. I doubt Disney is still selling shirts for Armageddon, but they have at one point. I am not sure how long those trademarks last, but if they or anyone else still has them, Cedar Fair would either have to change the title in some way (like throwing a number at the end of it) or find a new title. Although, granted, like I said, copyright stuff is kind of confusing, and I could be wrong about this stuff. 

EDIT: Also, if the coaster has an end of the world theme as the teaser suggested, then I don't think Cedar Fair would want to use name Armageddon, as the similarities to the famous disaster movie of the same name could draw some unwanted attention from Disney.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I was at the park yesterday. Took the kids up in the tower for the first time in their lives, and took some time to study the construction site. Didn't see any real new work done other than maybe some new holes in the ground. Later in the day there were some trucks parked over there by the footers that have already been poured. It's like the whole thing has kind of slowed for a minute. 

And as I've mentioned before, I do not expect there to be any actual construction involving the track because the blueprints have not been approved yet.  This is why they are not available. This is also why I believe there to be something added or replaced that we have not seen on the overlay yet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I could see that being the case. The part that is approved is the station, so it makes sense that the station and transfer track footers are done. There are an awful lot of holes already dug for other footers though. It's hard to say. 

When do you think they will start on the station?

52 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

If TEOTWAWKI is leading to a name of the coaster, given the theming of the area being area 51 ish, it may be a more war of the worlds theme. 

That would be a good follow up to the horror elements of Mystic Timbers and a great compliment to Flight of Fear, assuming it is an end of the world theme. Imagine if the queue had a "broadcast" similar to the infamous Orson Welles broadcast. 

Coincidentally, they used to play "The Darkest Day" from David Arnold's Independence Day score on The Beast's lift hill and the final cue for The X-Files' pilot episode used to played fairly prominently throughout Haunt. I am not sure if it still does. 

Spoiler

• Like 2

Chad's Words;

"While park officials have not commented publicly on the fence posters, the references to former coasters and flat rides seems to be hinting at a new addition to the park.  Letters in the background of each poster combine to suggest the acronym, TEOTWAWKI  or “The End of the World as We Know It.” While some Kings Island fans are referencing the REM song of the same name, others think the letters have a deeper meaning. One thing’s for sure, this area of Kings Island is far from “The End.” In fact, some have suggested it’s only the beginning."

So could it be Alpha if it's the beginning? 

• Like 6

On 7/26/2019 at 10:22 AM, Enchanted Voyage Lover said:

SO...… The end of the world as we know it. Would that mean the name of the coaster will be Omega?

Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals, it has a value of 1. It was derived from the Phoenician and Hebrew letter aleph - an ox or leader. Letters that arose from alpha include the Latin A and the Cyrillic letter А. In English, the noun "alpha" is used as a synonym for "beginning", or "first", reflecting its Greek roots.

A-Ω

As the last letter of the Greek alphabet, Omega is often used to denote the last, the end, or the ultimate limit of a set, in contrast to alpha, the first letter of the Greek alphabet

• Like 1

• malem locked this topic