Decoding 2020

fryoj

Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It's lift or drop. Apollo's Chariot is marketed as a hyper and the height is under 200' but the drop is over 200'. 

Exactly my point. I doubt Cedar Fair though would ever build a giga that did not meet the unofficial requirements of the height.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

it will be like driving down 77 and seeing Fury at night with the green lights. Each time I passed driving to FLA I am jealous. I have only been on it once.

Yeah I hope will have a similar light package to Fury. If not, I hope it's colorful and not the boring white dots going up the hill. If I had my way, the light package would be a mix of Fury and Millennium Force. Where the supports are lit up from the ground like Mille and one long light that goes up the lift. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bansheelover said:

Exactly my point. I doubt Cedar Fair though would ever build a giga that did not meet the unofficial requirements of the height.

i will concede that one, but that is 100% an outlier to the norm

2 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

it will be like driving down 77 and seeing Fury at night with the green lights. Each time I passed driving to FLA I am jealous. I have only been on it once.

Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yeah I hope will have a similar light package to Fury. If not, I hope it's colorful and not the boring white dots going up the hill. If I had my way, the light package would be a mix of Fury and Millennium Force. Where the supports are lit up from the ground like Mille and one long light that goes up the lift. 

Haven't thought about what it would look like at night time!! Can't wait to see what they do with that. I wonder if they are going to do anything different with lighting up the track/trains...someone mentioned in a post awhile back about possibly lighting up the wheels which would be cool. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Logic said:

The definition of the categories is height, not drop. soo yeah that's how all coasters have been measured

Apollo's Chariot at BGW is a B&M hyper, and has a lift shorter than 200 feet.  It's drop is 210 feet.    Everyone classifies it as a hyper coaster, including the manufacturer.

There is no "definition" of the categories, because they're entirely subjective.  Hell, TECHNICALLY, Fury 325 and Leviathan are both hyper coasters.  There is no 'GIGA' coaster in the Bolliger and Mabillard portfolio of rides.

• Like 5

cause it's off the height, not the drop

From what I keep reading it’s either/or. There is no official definition of Giga lift hill height vs Giga drop. If the lift hill was 301 and the drop was 296, the same thing would be said.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

The definition of the categories is height, not drop. soo yeah that's how all coasters have been measured

Six flags literally counts Larson Loops as coasters. Im afraid its up to the park not the GP, not the Enthusiasts, or even the term 'GIGA'. Giga is a made up term. You can call it what you want. But if it was 250 and the park wanted to call it a giga you arent stopping them. 

5 minutes ago, JonahWilliamson said:

Six flags literally counts Larson Loops as coasters. Im afraid its up to the park not the GP, not the Enthusiasts, or even the term 'GIGA'. Giga is a made up term. You can call it what you want. But if it was 250 and the park wanted to call it a giga you arent stopping them. 

They would look ridiculous doing that to other parks but okay. I get part of what you're saying, but that point is just silly and illogical

5 minutes ago, Bansheelover said:

Not a direct response to you in particular, but to this idea as a whole: 

Cedar Fair is going to evaluate the potential return on any investment they make. Enthusiast-driven labels like “giga” don’t make a difference. Why spend more cash on a 355 foot tall coaster that would (theoretically) show the same returns as a coaster that’s 296 feet tall? The cost of construction would eat into its potential earnings. There’s nothing to be ‘embarrassed’ about when it comes to profit. That’s business, baby. 

Side note: I, too, am pulling for a “Shooting Star” themed name. “Project: Shooting Star” has a nice ring to it. Vague enough to develop an interesting theme and a fun throwback to yesterday and the history of that particular area of the park. 

See ya Thursday, kids. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

cause it's off the height, not the drop

Way to quote yourself there. 

If the drop was 330 , it would be named Fury 330 or just Fury. 325 is just the tallest point of the coaster. I think you would be able to grasp that idea with the username of "Logic".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KOBasinger said:

Way to quote yourself there. 

If the drop was 330 , it would be named Fury 330 or just Fury. 325 is just the tallest point of the coaster. I think you would be able to grasp that idea with the username of "Logic".

lol okay right. it's pretty standard (although others have mentioned others) to have the height as the main number. so standard is off the height. good try though of trying to attack for no reason

4 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Not a direct response to you in particular, but to this idea as a whole: 

Cedar Fair is going to evaluate the potential return on any investment they make. Enthusiast-driven labels like “giga” don’t make a difference. Why spend more cash on a 355 foot tall coaster that would (theoretically) show the same returns as a coaster that’s 296 feet tall? The cost of construction would eat into its potential earnings. There’s nothing to be ‘embarrassed’ about when it comes to profit. That’s business, baby. 

Side note: I, too, am pulling for a “Shooting Star” themed name. “Project: Shooting Star” has a nice ring to it. Vague enough to develop an interesting theme and a fun throwback to yesterday and the history of that particular area of the park. 

See ya Thursday, kids. 

Cedar Fair and Intamin coined the phrase for giga when Millennium Force was being built, so I don't know if they hold the unofficial term and requirements near and dear to the heart.

• Like 3

Just now, Bansheelover said:

Cedar Fair and Intamin coined the phrase for giga when Millennium Force was being built, so I don't know if they hold the unofficial term and requirements near and dear to the heart.

Intamin has that section labeled Mega/Giga on their website 

• Like 1

It seems in the last few days things have gotten a little tense in this thread. The mods are asking that everyone take a minute and review these simplified TOS rules to make this a welcoming and friendly place to discuss our beloved park and the industry.

• Use proper grammar to the best of your ability. Limit the use of text shorthand.

• When embedding an image that is not yours, always post a hyperlink to the source under the image.

• Posts must have more than one word.

• When replying to a certain post in a thread, use the quote button so other members know what post you are replying to.

• Do not double post (multiple posts in a row in the same thread).  If you wish to reply to more than one person, you can quote multiple posts in a single post.

• Post factual information when responding in a thread. Don’t exaggerate the truth.

• Please report posts that have false information.

• Stay on topic as much a possible.

• Arial footage from drones are not permitted.

• Be respectful of fellow KIC members.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

I see my comment rubbed some the wrong way before. The main reason I want people to temper their expectations is so we don’t have people at the announcement booing when it’s not as tall or any other stat that they wanted or feeling left down when you leave. Keep your expectations minimal so it’s nothing but good news while you’re there. 

I really don’t care what it comes out to be I’m excited regardless. 

• Like 4

• malem locked this topic