Decoding 2020

fryoj

Don’t forget during the deconstruction of Firehawk, the image of the track being pulled apart by a “Vortex”-like robotic hand pulling the track and the deep maniacal laugh that accompanied the destruction. Does anyone here have a copy of that to post?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coastermaniac624 said:

Hypothetically speaking, if the lift hill was 296 but the drop was 325 (longer than fury’s) would people consider it a giga. Or would people still be hung up on the lift hill height?

99% of the general public and enthusiasts would agree that a 296 foot tall coaster with a 301 foot drop is a giga, as will be the case with ours.

I look at it this way: It is the drop, and not the height, that determines the ride experience of a coaster. Therefore, if there is a drop that is over 200/300, it's a hyper/giga. So Apollo's Chariot and Phantom's Revenge are Hypers. If the drop is under 200/300 feet, but the height is over and there's not some outlandish discrepancy between them (such as the "900 foot" coaster that once operated in Vegas with about a 10 foot drop) then it also counts. So Magnum and Millennium Force count despite their drops being not quite 200 and not quite 300 feet. Someone many, many pages ago mentioned that 10% is their rule of thumb. I think that's decent enough, but setting a hard line at 10% is a bit too cut and dry for me. I feel like if it was 11%, I'd count it personally.

3 minutes ago, upstop said:

No not quite. It was a visual robotic hand pulling it apart with a maniacal laugh. I think it was on a Facebook page. I can’t be sure because I don’t have Facebook.

Did it kind of look like this?

f8a34a2c48476e686711a6786d257c44.jpg

Whatever the final stats are, I know it's going to be a really fun coaster that will bring in good crowds for the park. Maybe I'm too hung up on superficial stuff, but I'm already not thrilled with the blue/white color scheme so I'm REALLY hoping that the name doesn't end up being Polaris or Orion. Neither sounds intense enough to be attached to such a big coaster, especially given the context of all the teasers, and Polaris just makes me think of the Polaris mall in Cbus.  ANYTHING but those names lol.

1 minute ago, secretcoasternerd said:

I'm REALLY hoping that the name doesn't end up being Polaris or Orion. Neither sounds intense enough to be attached to such a big coaster, especially given the context of all the teasers, and Polaris just makes me think of the Polaris mall in Cbus and I have a cousin named Orion that I can't stand so...please ANYTHING but those names lol.

It could be worse. We could be getting a big, bad B&M Hyper with a completely unintimidating name like Candymonium.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Nobody has stated the obvious that asteroids caused the Dinosaurs to go extinct and ties in with Dinosaurs Alive which this runs through.

When researching the crater Chicxulub and the asteroid that made dinosaurs go extinct, I found this mission executed in 2016 (around the time that this roller coaster project would’ve been forming) that I thought sounded interesting. It also may just be my optimism that the height will be 350+ feet. 355f164fbc751d07e13983060849859c.jpg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, secretcoasternerd said:

Whatever the final stats are, I know it's going to be a really fun coaster that will bring in good crowds for the park. Maybe I'm too hung up on superficial stuff, but I'm already not thrilled with the blue/white color scheme so I'm REALLY hoping that the name doesn't end up being Polaris or Orion. Neither sounds intense enough to be attached to such a big coaster, especially given the context of all the teasers, and Polaris just makes me think of the Polaris mall in Cbus and I have a cousin named Orion that I can't stand so...please ANYTHING but those names lol.

Thursday 10 pm: Polarorion is announced

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

I look at it this way: It is the drop, and not the height, that determines the ride experience of a coaster. 

I agree. As much as facing up a great height can be intimidating, looking down is far scarier. 

3 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

It could be worse. We could be getting a big, bad B&M Hyper with a completely unintimidating name like Candymonium.

I actually don't mind the name Candymonium. Yes, it could be more intimidating, but it's unique and really fits well with the park.

3 minutes ago, decyferite said:

Thursday 10 pm: Polarorion is announced

I would cry.

• Like 2

Just now, Joshua said:

I agree. As much as facing up a great height can be intimidating, looking down is far scarier. 

Not to mention, you can build a coaster off of the end of a 900 foot building (which was done in Vegas), but if you only have a 10 foot drop, you're still only going to reach a speed of under 20 mph. The drop is what determines the speed of the ride.

8 minutes ago, upstop said:

Yes. And it was gripping Firehawk as it was being destroyed. Followed by a maniacal laugh.

I couldn't find the hand ripping up the Firehawk track but at the end of the promo it is holding The Vortex track followed by a laugh. 

• Like 2

interesting that i get bashed multiple times, after the rules of the "friendly" forum get posted, for stating that the common way for giga is height and admitting that the other people that brought exceptions are right without me knowing. oh well

we'll see what the coaster looks like on thursday. i hope it has a height of more than 296' so that the park doesn't get crap about it not being the shortest of the giga class

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, CoasterDude48 said:

When researching the crater Chicxulub and the asteroid that made dinosaurs go extinct, I found this mission executed in 2016 (around the time that this roller coaster project would’ve been forming) that I thought sounded interesting. It also may just be my optimism that the height will be 350+ feet. 355f164fbc751d07e13983060849859c.jpg

what if the drop continues underground - like the coaster is the meteor hurtling towards earth and plummets into earth...

• Like 5

• malem locked this topic