Jump to content
fryoj

Decoding 2020

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

Exactly. You kind of indirectly nailed it here.

A giga is your one shot to build something incredible, and loads of people feel like this has been full of missed opportunities so far.

KI will likely never get anything higher than 300 feet ever again, or at least not soon enough that it’s even worth mentioning.

If it was an RMC, we would probably all be happy right now regardless of what it was.

Gigas have a reputation for being the record breakers, the precedent-setters, the bar-uppers.

On paper it looks like this doesn’t do any of that, and that’s why people are bummed - especially when you consider the size of the plot of land and the topography KI had to work with.

I agree. They really had a chance to do something special here, instead they chose to go the discount route. Some people on this site will continue to stick up for Cedar Fair and just appreciate what they give KI, but I remember when KI used to be the park to go to in Ohio when prototypes and record breakers were the norm and Cedar Point only had Magnum. That will never be the case again as long as Cedar Fair owns it.  Very Disappointing. 

 

Actually, I stand corrected! We will have the tallest and fastest Hyper now! So, I guess i was wrong about CF not wanting KI to have the record breakers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fryoj said:

LMAO. You think they sit around at stockholder meetings asking what they can do for the coaster community because it would be nice? They are doing this to make money. They say if we put forth this capital expenditure, what kind of return on investment can we expect. Guest experience, outside of getting them to make return trips, has nothing to do with it. Don't try to fool yourself otherwise. 

Exactly. Everything they do is based around making the most money possible. If our community happens to benefit as a result, then that's all I can ask for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Lol, where did he get the 305 foot drop from? I saw one post here that initially speculated 330 and was corrected and then since then the consensus has been 301. I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum give 305 as their estimate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jallie79 said:

I find it funny all the comments saying how we, the guests, showed feel lucky that CF/KI is spending all this money.  Like they are letting everyone in and feeding us free of charge  

I am happy for a new coaster but am choosing to withhold judgment till I ride it.

Lol if anyone stops going to the park because our brand new $30 million giga coaster isn't good enough for them then they're delusional. By reacting this way we're proving we don't deserve this and the giga should go to a park whose fanbase will actually appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, homestar92 said:

Lol, where did he get the 305 foot drop from? I saw one post here that initially speculated 330 and was corrected and then since then the consensus has been 301. I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum give 305 as their estimate.

I like that we, as a collective community, are now referred to as “roller coaster experts”... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Surprised they don't just screenshot posts at this point. 

Yeah, this forum is clearly their go to for "breaking news."  I wonder what date the plans were received at Mason Building Department?  File information shows a date of 5/6, but I can't believe they've been sitting for that long with no one pulling them till today.  You would think WCPO would have someone checking there often...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maddog said:

Yeah, this forum is clearly their go to for "breaking news."  I wonder what date the plans were received at Mason Building Department?  File information shows a date of 5/6, but I can't believe they've been sitting for that long with no one pulling them till today.  You would think WCPO would have someone checking there often...

They don't need to. Just check the KI Central forums every day and wait for one of us to do it, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BSBMX said:

300' drop, up 181' with overbanked-ish turn, down 174', up 188' into the ampersand, down 194' below ampersand, up 62' bunny hill, down 54', up 139' TRIM, down 138' beginning into helix, up 109' top of helix, down 107' exiting helix, up 88' turn towards brake run, down 56' (last drop), up 46' into brake run.

So compared to Leviathan, this has a taller first overbank, taller turnaround and taller speed hill (Levi: Overbank at 164ft, speed hill at 30 ish feet, cammelback at 183ft hammerhead at 147ft). So I won't be expecting the ejector airtime you'll get on the speed hill but (big but) you should be getting sideways floater, strong floater and floater air time 3x in a row. I'm sure the turn out of the turnaround will be pretty forceful as well as the helix. Definitely looks short but I'm sure it'll be a great ride anyways!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Logan said:

Lol if anyone stops going to the park because our brand new $30 million giga coaster isn't good enough for them then they're delusional. By reacting this way we're proving we don't deserve this and the giga should go to a park whose fanbase will actually appreciate it.

Just curious, but has Don or Chad PM'd you saying thanks for sticking up for our corporation, here's some free passes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

They don't need to. Just check the KI Central forums every day and wait for one of us to do it, lol

Yeah WCPO has to run their daily news operations first and foremost. We will do all the heavy lifting for them and then they can run their story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

Somewhere...a marketing executive should be very unhappy.

They're busy in a board room meeting with Mike Koontz, other members of park management and... the Eiffel Tower employees. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Just curious, but has Don or Chad PM'd you saying thanks for sticking up for our corporation, here's some free passes? 

Exactly. Where and how people choose to spend their money is entirely up to them. My family allocates a significant portion of our expendable income via annual passes at Walt Disney World and this year we decided to get Gold Passes with the dining plan. I'll stick by my earlier post that I'll visit the park to ride this coaster, but I'm honestly taking a longer look at renewing our Gold Passes and instead just buying one day discounted tickets with Fast Lane so we can ride the new coaster as much as we want. Our experience with the dining plan (food lines often being the longest lines we wait in all day) has been less than spectacular. A blue ice cream cone with sprinkles is close $9 now. I understand that 99% of the GP will not see it this way, but I just feel the park has gone the cheap route via overpricing and understaffing in too many areas to feel like I am actually receiving a value for what I purchased. This is so blatantly obvious of somewhere in the management chain taking the cheaper route (as we are literally talking of a height increase of 15 or 20 feet at max for it to a World Record breaking Giga) that I'll gladly visit KI once, maybe twice next year, and spend whatever money we save by not renewing, on a trip to Disney. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on the "budget giga.."

First off, I am in no way disappointed with this, especially seeing the overbanked turns and no MCBR. This thing is going to be short.. but sweet. Some of you guys need to see the bigger picture. A budget giga makes complete sense if we look to the future. CF has been dumping money, time, and effort into Kings Island for the past several years. Major rides every three years, smaller rides in between, and park improvements every year. Cedar Point has an ENORMOUS problem, there's no more room. Every time something new comes in, something has to be taken out. I feel like CF absolutely knows this and is looking to make KI equivalent to or possibly even, the dominate park in the future. This budget giga leaves room for the future, both literal room, and money room. For those of you saying Kings Island can't expand out toward the river, I'm not sure why they would want to when they have all that flat land behind The Bat out towards the new dorms. Looking on a map, almost an entire other Kings Island could fit in that area. Building a 9000' giga taking up that entire plot would really complicate future planing. 

 

I hope it's that reason anyway. Or that they're saving the 350' tall, 9000' track coaster for an RMC TRex in 2024/25..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Maddog said:

Yeah, this forum is clearly their go to for "breaking news."  I wonder what date the plans were received at Mason Building Department?  File information shows a date of 5/6, but I can't believe they've been sitting for that long with no one pulling them till today.  You would think WCPO would have someone checking there often...

I assume they're only made public once they're actually approved and not just turned in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reesesp56 said:

Exactly. Where and how people choose to spend their money is entirely up to them. My family allocates a significant portion of our expendable income via annual passes at Walt Disney World and this year we decided to get Gold Passes with the dining plan. I'll stick by my earlier post that I'll visit the park to ride this coaster, but I'm honestly taking a longer look at renewing our Gold Passes and instead just buying one day discounted tickets with Fast Lane so we can ride the new coaster as much as we want. Our experience with the dining plan (food lines often being the longest lines we wait in all day) has been less than spectacular. A blue ice cream cone with sprinkles is close $9 now. I understand that 99% of the GP will not see it this way, but I just feel the park has gone the cheap route via overpricing and understaffing in too many areas to feel like I am actually receiving a value for what I purchased. This is so blatantly obvious of somewhere in the management chain taking the cheaper route (as we are literally talking of a height increase of 15 or 20 feet at max for it to a World Record breaking Giga) that I'll gladly visit KI once, maybe twice next year, and spend whatever money we save by not renewing, on a trip to Disney. Just my opinion.

I'm not telling you where to spend your money. Just saying that being mad at the park for building a $30 million giga coaster that isn't perfectly aligned with your tastes is pretty weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Logan said:

I'm not telling you where to spend your money. Just saying that being mad at the park for building a $30 million giga coaster that isn't perfectly aligned with your tastes is pretty weak.

Telling other people that they should be grateful that a multi-billion dollar corporation that depends on our money to exist decided to grace the park with anything is weak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fryoj said:

Telling other people that they should be grateful that a multi-billion dollar corporation that depends on our money to exist decided to grace the park with anything is weak. 

Fair enough. But even if every single coaster enthusiast boycotted Kings Island and refused to go there, there would be a minimal impact on their wallets. This ride is built to please the masses and rake in the cash, and it will succeed in both of those goals with flying colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to these plans, Flight of Fears new line will be longer than the new giga.. 

 

I've seen the outside line full, but then you get inside an they're not using any of the inside switchbacks. Maybe they're expecting long lines, because maybe, they're going to do something with FOF also?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...