Jump to content

Decoding 2020


fryoj

Recommended Posts

This is a bit of a novel so grab your popcorn.

My friend first sent me the blueprints when they got leaked and I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed. I thought this layout was going to dominate anything we've ever seen, trump Fury, MF and other gigas across the globe. Then when people started calculating the hight as less than 325 and later even less than 300, I got even more disappointed. When I saw that the length was less than Diamondback I just got angry. How could they do this to us? We've waited patiently for years and this is what you give us?

Then I realized something

After thinking, I think this coaster, based off of the blueprints provided will be just what the park needs. Think about it, "the world's tallest hypercoaster" "the only hyper coaster with a 300ft drop." That's something that can't be taken away from us. People getting mad that it might be 4 feet short of 300 saying "why not more?" forget the potential of a true record breaker. As I've said on this thread before, I'd rather have the tallest hyper than the shortest giga. This is something we can claim as our own. If we were to get a giga at that was say 330 or 350 ft, someone would eventually beat us and we wouldn't hold that title. We still have a 300 drop which I'm happy with. In terms of length I was a little surprised at how short it was, especially the fact that it's shorter than Diamondback, but when you think about it this ride is going to haul the entire time.

Would I like it to be longer? Yes. Would I like it to be taller? Maybe. Would I want things changed on it? Personally yes, but other people might disagree with me on what I would like changed. At the end of the day it's still a coaster we could be Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, or even Dorney Park and get nothing. We've gotten more in the past 10 years in terms of coasters than most Six Flags parks and most parks in the chain.

I think this coaster is going to be extremely underrated when it comes out and there might be some hidden surprises at the park hasn't shared with us yet. They're not even acknowledging that anything's going on so this addition could bring big things for the park in ways that people wouldn't even think about. 

Personally, I think that the straight out and back layout leaves a ton of room for future expansion as opposed to having it go all over the place. I feel like when they decided to design this coaster they were thinking of the future.

My two cents

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

I've said it before in this thread, but the new pad by Racer I can almost best that it'll be for storage of Grand Carnivale floats...they've got to be stored somewhere. 

As of today, I saw them by Timberwolf. I want to say there were 4-6 floats back there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure KI will still consider it a giga coaster and market the 300 foot drop. I'm not upset about this at all. I just don't know if they'll market it as a hyper coaster when they have the 300 foot drop to market it as a giga coaster. BGW markets Apollo's Chariot as a hyper when only the drop is in hyper range. To me this is more something we haven't seen before with a giga. This is more the Apollo's Chariot as a giga, but we'll see. Plus they can market it as the park's tallest, fastest, and meanest coaster. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Good point! But I still think Kings Island would want to have a more permanent storage solution, instead of having to put up a tent whenever they have something to store. Why would they pour a concrete pad just to set up a tent on top of it? But maybe it is a budget storage solution to go along with the budget giga! LOL!

You would be surprised at how permanent tents can be.  Universal Orlando uses a pair of tents from a company called Sprung.  They are effectively permanent and used for Halloween Horror Nights, they have been at the park for more then a decade now.

This does not appear to be a structure from that company but just because it might be a tent does not make it cheap or not permanent.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kenban said:

You would be surprised at how permanent tents can be.  Universal Orlando uses a pair of tents from a company called Sprung.  They are effectively permanent and used for Halloween Horror Nights, they have been at the park for more then a decade now.

This does not appear to be a structure from that company but just because it might be a tent does not make it cheap or not permanent.

I was referring to them as temporary tents because someone had mentioned that they do not need to have plans filed with the City of Mason only if the structure is temporary. I was wondering why no plans had been filed for this new structure, and apparently, they would be only need to be filed if it was going to be a permanent structure. But maybe we are missing something?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that it's highly unlikely Cedar Fair will be marketing this thing as the 'tallest hyper', but stranger things have happened.  The KI blueprints lead me to revisit some Leviathan construction pics. Noting the difference in grade between the grass underneath the bottom of the support that branches from the drop track and the below ground track at the base of the drop, it seems like the difference between the two is fairly significant...closer to 15-20'+ than 5-10'. SO Leviathan may itself only have a lift height of 290 or so feet when measured from the top of the lift to the ground below. Cedar Fair may be planning to advertise KI's giga the same way it does Leviathan, as having a 301' height and drop both. 

CIMG1456.JPG

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, aj74205 said:

I agree that it's highly unlikely Cedar Fair will be marketing this thing as the 'tallest hyper', but stranger things have happened.  The KI blueprints lead me to revisit some Leviathan construction pics. Noting the difference in grade between the grass underneath the bottom of the support that branches from the drop track and the below ground track at the base of the drop, it seems like the difference between the two is fairly significant...closer to 15-20'+ than 5-10'. SO Leviathan may itself only have a lift height of 290 or so feet when measured from the top of the lift to the ground below. Cedar Fair may be planning to advertise KI's giga the same way it does Leviathan, as having a 301' height and drop both. 

 

I can't wait to see some giant cranes at KI! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, aj74205 said:

I agree that it's highly unlikely Cedar Fair will be marketing this thing as the 'tallest hyper', but stranger things have happened.  The KI blueprints lead me to revisit some Leviathan construction pics. Noting the difference in grade between the grass underneath the bottom of the support that branches from the drop track and the below ground track at the base of the drop, it seems like the difference between the two is fairly significant...closer to 15-20'+ than 5-10'. SO Leviathan may itself only have a lift height of 290 or so feet when measured from the top of the lift to the ground below. Cedar Fair may be planning to advertise KI's giga the same way it does Leviathan, as having a 301' height and drop both. 

CIMG1456.JPG

Thank you! This is what I was wandering earlier.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is honestly a stretch, but I'm still on my kick that this might be part of The Beast franchise in someway. 

This might have been pointed out (and probably even debunked) but I was reading this screenshot of the whole "number 5 is alive" thing and noticed the use of the word "paleontology". The coaster is going through the area that was previously Dinosaurs Alive right? Could this have been a little hint on where the coaster was going to be located  (which would mean the coaster WOULD have something to do with The Beast or at least have outpost theming)? 

This is probably stupid but I got myself really excited over this lol!

20190527_233426.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Codyfryguy said:

Really really off topic but I hope everyone that follows this page that is located north of Dayton is safe right now.. I'm currently sheltered in place in my basement.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

Hope you are safe. Update us when you can 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm sure KI will still consider it a giga coaster and market the 300 foot drop. I'm not upset about this at all. I just don't know if they'll market it as a hyper coaster when they have the 300 foot drop to market it as a giga coaster. BGW markets Apollo's Chariot as a hyper when only the drop is in hyper range. To me this is more something we haven't seen before with a giga. This is more the Apollo's Chariot as a giga, but we'll see. Plus they can market it as the park's tallest, fastest, and meanest coaster. 

Yes the official height will be at least 300 feet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope you are safe. Update us when you can 
My work will probably be closed for a week or two due to damage... i am safe... thoughts going out to anyone else that was impacted by these storms..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Codyfryguy said:

My work will probably be closed for a week or two due to damage... i am safe... thoughts going out to anyone else that was impacted by these storms..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

Probably same storm systems that went through here. Devastated Pendleton, IN. which is about 20 miles from me. Storms were headed east.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gotta be honest, not much of a fan of any of these names. Truthfully I don't care if KI breaks any records with our giga. I just hope it's a good ride. With what the prints show, it looks like it will be an ok ride just extremely short. With the height of these hills after the first drop, considering it's only a 301' drop, it doesn't seem to me that it's going to be all that forceful. At least not any more so than Fury or Levi. I seriously hope I'm proven wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KevM86 said:

Gotta be honest, not much of a fan of any of these names. Truthfully I don't care if KI breaks any records with our giga. I just hope it's a good ride. With what the prints show, it looks like it will be an ok ride just extremely short. With the height of these hills after the first drop, considering it's only a 301' drop, it doesn't seem to me that it's going to be all that forceful. At least not any more so than Fury or Levi. I seriously hope I'm proven wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

I agree about not liking any of the names, but the ride does look to be more forceful than Fury and Leviathan and more in the vein of I305 from what we've seen so far. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, aj74205 said:

I agree that it's highly unlikely Cedar Fair will be marketing this thing as the 'tallest hyper', but stranger things have happened.  The KI blueprints lead me to revisit some Leviathan construction pics. Noting the difference in grade between the grass underneath the bottom of the support that branches from the drop track and the below ground track at the base of the drop, it seems like the difference between the two is fairly significant...closer to 15-20'+ than 5-10'. SO Leviathan may itself only have a lift height of 290 or so feet when measured from the top of the lift to the ground below. Cedar Fair may be planning to advertise KI's giga the same way it does Leviathan, as having a 301' height and drop both. 

CIMG1456.JPG

Leviathan has a lift hill of 306ft and a drop of 306ft. The only reason why it has that small trench (which is not 5ft below grade) was to fit the tunnel and that's where the old bus stop was for the city. I was, and still grateful to be involved with Leviathan and can confirm that it's 306ft. 

Edit: Also, the picture is misleading as well, that small hill is only next to Dragon Fire and then flattens out to normal grade all over the park (I.E, the parking lot) thus, Levi is 306ft. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the names, only Orion and Polaris are legitimate at this point. "Shooting Star" is just a rumor or wish that started in this thread, I believe. Not saying it's a bad name, it just doesn't have any legitimacy as of right now.

 

As of today, the only recent trademarks that Cedar Fair has requested are Orion and Polaris, both filed on 4/30/19. There's a fee of $3,300 to file each request, and that's not counting any attorney fees that would not show on these documents, so don't think CF is just going to request a whole bunch of names with little chance of using them. $3,300 isn't a huge cost, but certainly a considerable one to start making up names that may never be used.

names.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I just saw a pic shared on Facebook of a ground drill going vertical and starting to drill for what is believed to be footers. 

Can you share it here?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

For the names, only Orion and Polaris are legitimate at this point. "Shooting Star" is just a rumor or wish that started in this thread, I believe. Not saying it's a bad name, it just doesn't have any legitimacy as of right now.

Shooting Star, if they chose to use that name for a ride, is probably not really trademarkable. It's a name that is already in use for other amusement rides (I can think of one at Dollywood just off the top of my head). The fact that they HAVE trademarked other names is more evidence against Shooting Star than is the fact that they haven't trademarked that.

All this being said, I don't think, at all, that the name will be Shooting Star. It's frankly an awful name for a coaster of this scale IMO and they wouldn't have paid for other trademarks with no plans to use them. If our ride does somehow end up being Shooting Star, then I'd expect Orion and Polaris to be used in some way, possibly names for the trains. Though I find it odd that they would trademark only two names when this will almost certainly run three trains.

One option, and it's not one that I like, but it's just a thought... More of a thought experiment, for that matter since it's obviously not going to happen. I'm curious what reactions would be in this situation. What if Racer were being rethemed as Shooting Star, and instead of Red and Blue Racer, we now have a space theme with Orion and Polaris? The new pad could be a rerouted queue to effectively move the ride into X-Base without actually moving it and then its existing exit path could be extended around as a new entry into X-Base. I should note that I absolutely do not think this would ever happen and am not suggesting that there's even the tiniest chance of it. After all, why rename a timeless ride whose name so perfectly describes its shtick? But it is a fun thought experiment. I wonder how that news would go over among the General Public. Or, for that matter, the guy whose job it would be to promote these changes?

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Absolutely, sourced from Midwest Coaster Fans. Edit: it appears that there is a concrete truck there with the drill. 

D66B2F4C-D5CC-4045-B774-C6ADAADE9EB5.png

Looks like they're starting in the storage track area. That transformer (blue circle below) remains and is in the new plans. Giga's getting built!

transformer.jpg

 

giga starting to be built yeeaaahhhh.jpg

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • malem locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...