fryoj

Decoding 2020

7 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

So I asked something to this effect earlier in the thread but I want to be able to plan accordingly and didn't see much information last time so:

Based on previous new announcements, how much time in advance does KI usually give notice for an announcement event?

Also, a guy I used to work with somehow seems to manage to make it to events where he is able to ride new coasters before the park opens. How do you go about getting access to events like that? Is it a coaster club thing or something?

This kind of got flooded out when I posted it before so I wanted to see if anyone had any insights on this, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, lol.

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/valravn-roller-coaster-trains-collide-cedar-point

Since this has come up a few times, yes there was a collision. I’m not sure if it is verified but I’ve heard that it did some damage to the metal retractable floors, as they were apparently up when the collision happened.

As for how this applies to this thread... hopefully our coaster doesn’t do this.

Edit: http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm - more info from screamscape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping we get lucky with this Giga and finally get a B&M without the rattle. Banshee rattles a decent amount anytime you get close to the ground, and while most of Diamondback is solid, coming out of the turnaround there is a lot of rattle, border-lining on roughness.

^I May be completely wrong, but I believe the rattle is due more to the ground the footers are poured in than anything B&M themselves do. I believe all Ohio B&Ms, new and old, have a rattle. Meanwhile none of Carowinds’ or Dollywood’s collective B&Ms have a rattle. If anyone knows for certain why the rattle happens, and if I’m wrong, please let me know. It’s always something that I’ve been curious about.

Does anyone know where I can find the 4k pictures of the blueprints? I know they exist because I've seen youtubers like Variable use them to make replicas in planet coaster, but I can't seem to find them online. I want them because me and my friend are trying to take apart the whole thing bit by bit to understand exactly what we are dealing with.

1 hour ago, MrSourNinja said:

I'm hoping we get lucky with this Giga and finally get a B&M without the rattle. Banshee rattles a decent amount anytime you get close to the ground, and while most of Diamondback is solid, coming out of the turnaround there is a lot of rattle, border-lining on roughness.

Both of these coasters still feel great, but I also detect a much stronger rattle on both than I did last season, anyone else feel this way?

I think our giga will probably be where it's smooth the first year than develops a slight rattle the next year. I heard that Fury 325 has a rattle. 

Just rode it last month, it has a rattle around the turn around, and it’s rough.

4 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

This kind of got flooded out when I posted it before so I wanted to see if anyone had any insights on this, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, lol.

Sometimes, parks will invite coaster club members to a media day event.  Other times, the park may have a first riders auction for charity.  Usually these things are done the day before the park opens to the public.

6 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

The park will say something to the effect of "Join us at (insert time, day, and part of the park here) for a special announcement!"  It is about a few days to a week before. IndyGuy will put up a thread in the "news" section of the board -- and I'm sure it will become the main topic of this thread -- so it will be hard to miss. 

Looking at the "news" section, KMAA was announced last August, Mystic Timbers on July 2016, and Banshee on August 9, 2013. The thread teasing the announcement event for Banshee was posted on August 2, a week before. 

Concerning the rattle.. Fury 325 does have the same rattle as Diamondback. The rattle comes from the space between the main wheels and the upstop wheels, essentially the train is bouncing up and down. I'm not sure what causes this but it's not the build of the track. The supports can move around on the footers a fair amount to line up with the track and they're not grouted and fully bolted until the track they connect with is perfect. And even if the track alignment, supports, and footers are perfect, the whole system still sways from the wind and the force of the train.

The rattle seems to depend on the train. The green train on Banshee is unridable for me and gives me a headache every time. Purple used to have almost no rattle and blue had just a tiny bit. This year it seams as if blue and purple are even and green is worse still. The red train on Diamondback seems to be the most bumpy. Maybe it has something to do with the wear on the wheels. B&M need to use a system like RMC does on Steel Vengance where the upstop wheels are under tension by springs which hold them to the underside of the track.. no gap, no bumps.

4 hours ago, jcovelli said:

Concerning the rattle.. Fury 325 does have the same rattle as Diamondback. The rattle comes from the space between the main wheels and the upstop wheels, essentially the train is bouncing up and down. I'm not sure what causes this but it's not the build of the track. The supports can move around on the footers a fair amount to line up with the track and they're not grouted and fully bolted until the track they connect with is perfect. And even if the track alignment, supports, and footers are perfect, the whole system still sways from the wind and the force of the train.

The rattle seems to depend on the train. The green train on Banshee is unridable for me and gives me a headache every time. Purple used to have almost no rattle and blue had just a tiny bit. This year it seams as if blue and purple are even and green is worse still. The red train on Diamondback seems to be the most bumpy. Maybe it has something to do with the wear on the wheels. B&M need to use a system like RMC does on Steel Vengance where the upstop wheels are under tension by springs which hold them to the underside of the track.. no gap, no bumps.

Absolutely. The Rattle has everything to do with the wheels. Tracking issues lead to head banging moments m due to unnecessary lateral g’s. (For example Vortex at KI) With a fresh set of wheels the coaster will be butter smooth) it also depends on temperature. The warmer the wheels are, then more they will expand and the tires will give less room to bounce as described. The best time to ride Fury (or any B&M) is just before sunset, after a sweltering day! Fast, furious, and smoother!

4 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Hashtags were in use in 2010. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Has a hashtag ever been officially part of the name the way a number has though?  This could be groundbreaking!

49 minutes ago, DustinTheNow said:

Absolutely. The Rattle has everything to do with the wheels. Tracking issues lead to head banging moments m due to unnecessary lateral g’s. (For example Vortex at KI) With a fresh set of wheels the coaster will be butter smooth) it also depends on temperature. The warmer the wheels are, then more they will expand and the tires will give less room to bounce as described. The best time to ride Fury (or any B&M) is just before sunset, after a sweltering day! Fast, furious, and smoother!

Regarding the rattle, B&M upstop and guide wheels are spring loaded so the wheels have little, if anything, to do with the rattle you’re hearing. The rattle is likely a roll back, chain dog, or the wheel covers. 

Unless a polyurethane wheel is blown out, the wheels have little to do with how smooth the ride is. For example, you can put brand new wheels on an entire train but if the bushings are junk then its useless.

1 hour ago, befat said:

Attaching a number to the ride name is so 2010.  How about something more modern, like a hashtag? Polaris #tallerthanDiamondback.

I always think it’s cool when names of things have “Y”s where the “I”s should be, such as naming my Suicune in Pokémon Go Myst, as I think it sounds mysterious and edgy. Also, the whole cutting off letters (Valravn, Invadr) makes a ride name cool, imo.

6 hours ago, jcovelli said:

Haven't read through all the replies yet so I hope I am not double posting but the red train on Diamondback is the only one without yellow wheels. Me and my friend also though red was rougher so maybe the yellow are new wheels and they just have not replaced them on red train yet?

Either way the bottom of the turn-around on Diamondback is definitely worse than it used to be.

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

I always think it’s cool when names of things have “Y”s where the “I”s should be, such as naming my Suicune in Pokémon Go Myst, as I think it sounds mysterious and edgy. Also, the whole cutting off letters (Valravn, Invadr) makes a ride name cool, imo.

Polris, Plaris, Polars?

Orin, Orn, Oron?

I give up.  I don't think it will work for 2020.

5 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yeah, I think most of the GP would be at Soak City. Was Soak City packed? 

Soak City was packed on Wednesday. Got there at 1 and alot of towels were already on the grassy areas. Left around 6 and there was a decent sized line at security. It was insane.

4 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Wow , today was pretty boring 

Well now that we've pretty much decoded 2020 unless some new blueprints show up its gonna be like this until the announcement