fryoj

Decoding 2020

As an amateur historian,  along with my parents taking me to Old Coney Island on the river as a child to ride both Jack Rabbit and Shooting Star, I would LOVE to have the new coaster named Shooting Star if we are indeed contemplating a space theme.

8 hours ago, shizzzon said:

That'll be the name of the new ride.  
Beam

More like, Beheeym! :lol:

(Who gets this reference?)

Also, RE: Orion being a Winter constellation, what if the giga will be able to run during Winterfest... (jk)

Also, kudos to @supertrooper who made that awesome poster, you had me going there for a second...

I just searched Armageddon on RCDB and there is no coaster with that name. However, it's worth noting that there was an attraction named "Armageddon - Les Effets Speciaux" at Disneyland Paris that was just taken out earlier this year that was based on the film Armageddon. I'm not sure if Cedar Fair/Kings Island would be able to use that name considering Disney/Touchstone may still have the trademark active.

59 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

I’m 14 and a first year coaster enthusiast, I don’t know how to do that trade mark stuff or what ever you call it

As Jallie says, http://rcdb.com is the site for all things roller coaster. I used to live on that site when I was your age! 

I just remembered something, a park worker on the Eiffel Tower elevator said the 275' platform is the highest point in the park (where people can go). Drop Tower riders if I'm thinking correctly only go up 264 feet. If all this is the case, this coaster will be considered the highest point in the park. The 296-301' height/drop people are talking about is higher than the top platform of the Eiffel Tower. So they can easily market this bad boy as the highest point in the park. Just a thought. 

WindSeeker still is 300ft tall and I believe Eiffel Tower is 315ft. 

Plus, I do not know the sea levels for each ride so hard to say who actually has the highest peak.

Looking at the ride from Eiffel Tower, it will still appear shorter than where you are standing due to viewing distance.

I was at the park yesterday. Took the kids up in the tower for the first time in their lives, and took some time to study the construction site. Didn't see any real new work done other than maybe some new holes in the ground. Later in the day there were some trucks parked over there by the footers that have already been poured. It's like the whole thing has kind of slowed for a minute. 

11 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Can someone please answer my question

I am not sure about as a rollercoaster, but I know the trademark exists for a certain Disney-owned blockbuster. Now I am not sure if that would get in the way, because it has been out for 21 years and diving into copyright quandaries can be like jumping headfirst into a black hole.

My favorite copyright story involves Ghostbusters. Over a decade before it came out, there was a Larry Stork show called The Ghost Busters. They initially weren't sure they could call it that, so they tried other titles, such as Ghostsmashers. Somehow they were able to use the title, but when it came time for the animated series, for some reason Filmation was doing their own version of that Larry Stork show, and thus gave birth to The Real Ghostbusters

But anyway, if there isn't another ride by that title, then I believe the roadblocks would come from anyone owning the trademarks that affect merchandise. I doubt Disney is still selling shirts for Armageddon, but they have at one point. I am not sure how long those trademarks last, but if they or anyone else still has them, Cedar Fair would either have to change the title in some way (like throwing a number at the end of it) or find a new title. Although, granted, like I said, copyright stuff is kind of confusing, and I could be wrong about this stuff. 

EDIT: Also, if the coaster has an end of the world theme as the teaser suggested, then I don't think Cedar Fair would want to use name Armageddon, as the similarities to the famous disaster movie of the same name could draw some unwanted attention from Disney.

1 hour ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I was at the park yesterday. Took the kids up in the tower for the first time in their lives, and took some time to study the construction site. Didn't see any real new work done other than maybe some new holes in the ground. Later in the day there were some trucks parked over there by the footers that have already been poured. It's like the whole thing has kind of slowed for a minute. 

And as I've mentioned before, I do not expect there to be any actual construction involving the track because the blueprints have not been approved yet.  This is why they are not available. This is also why I believe there to be something added or replaced that we have not seen on the overlay yet.

10 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I could see that being the case. The part that is approved is the station, so it makes sense that the station and transfer track footers are done. There are an awful lot of holes already dug for other footers though. It's hard to say. 

When do you think they will start on the station?