Decoding 2020

fryoj

15 minutes ago, LintemuthStudios said:

Debunks plans because of trees on the west side of the path are in the way of a helix that is completely on the east side of the path..... Alrighty then. 

Also, the mods are going to delete that. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, thats not what the plan measured out to. I got 4600 ft straight line, so whatever you gain from up and down hills is all it's going to be. 

It just doesn’t make sense to me for them to install a giga that is approximately 682 ft. shorter than Diamondback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Been a member for a few years and never hardly active and post stuff but decided to be. Really enjoy reading everybody opinions. With that said.... once all the Hershey track ever leaves the plant hope more of the gray/K.I. track (if it is Kings Island's track) is put out

• Like 2

Surprised no one has looked at the "top of pier cap elevations" in the second photo @Bansheeback posted.  It doesn't make sense that so many footers are on the exact same elevation (and at that precision as well). It also appears to be that there is only a ten foot elevation change throughout the whole coaster. That just doesn't add up.

First value set:

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 6.37.15 PM.png

Second value set:

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 6.39.02 PM.png

Hello Everyone.  I haven't been on since I was able to 98% figure out Mystic Timbers layout a few years back and I can't wait to spend hours playing with this new "Mystery Coaster" plans. 

I truly believe that CF will allow us to have the title of the largest Coaster in Ohio.  It seems playful to banter back and forth with CP and since KI has been doing extremely well over the past several years, I'm starting to feel that there is more to the expansion than what we are led to believe.  I say in 10 years, KI will continue working on the "Family Feel" for riders of the household that Diamondback is too much and The Racers isn't enough with more Flat Rides to come.  Kids park is fine.  With the return of Antique Cars, maybe my "Resurrection Park" will be built by bringing back King Cobra, Screamin' Demon and such.  

With NEW Coaters Like MT and Diamondback every 3 to 4 years, I think we're on a great course for the future for an All Around Great Amusement Park and eventually voted Ohio's Best!

I've met "the girl" last year and will be proposing this weekend at the Columbus Zoo.  She's a Teacher, Home School Teacher and Nurse in Michigan.  I'll be transplanting up there this Summer and I'm working on obtaining my Real Estate License in Michigan.  I'll be alright.  I will be enjoying and watching all the comments from afar.  It's okay...but I will miss you all.  

• Like 11

Surprised no one has looked at the "top of pier cap elevations" in the second photo [mention=9458]Bansheeback[/mention] posted.  It doesn't make sense that so many footers are on the exact same elevation (and at that precision as well). It also appears to be that there is only a ten foot elevation change throughout the whole coaster. That just doesn't add up.
First value set:
1768708240_Screenshot2019-05-09at6_37_15PM.png.be34907fb03976fc4135ef93cbf6af5e.png
Second value set:
1462185244_Screenshot2019-05-09at6_39_02PM.png.913575cfaddea2d64caced99a9c49c89.png

This is only for the station and lift hill not the entire coaster. We are also missing the bottom of the hill and it’s backbone which apparently will give us lift angle...
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DonkeyKong said:

It just doesn’t make sense to me for them to install a giga that is approximately 682 ft. shorter than Diamondback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4600 ft is just the path without any account for ups and downs. It picks up quite a bit of distance doing that. 

1 minute ago, Hmrapp said:

Surprised no one has looked at the "top of pier cap elevations" in the second photo @Bansheeback posted.  It doesn't make sense that so many footers are on the exact same elevation (and at that precision as well). It also appears to be that there is only a ten foot elevation change throughout the whole coaster. That just doesn't add up.

Those aren't the footers for the entire coaster. Thats just the ones in that plan from the city around the station. All of the footers at the station, transfer track and shed you'd absolutely want to be the exact same height. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, thats not what the plan measured out to. I got 4600 ft straight line, so whatever you gain from up and down hills is all it's going to be. 
Ok so if this layout measures 4600ft not accounting for ups and downs, could someone measure the layout of Diamondback before it's ups and downs. Maybe get s rough idea of how much distance the hills add?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KevM86 said:

Ok so if this layout measures 4600ft not accounting for ups and downs, could someone measure the layout of Diamondback before it's ups and downs. Maybe get s rough idea of how much distance the hills add?

Very rough measurements got me to about 4700'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KevM86 said:

I got around 4,500 

• Like 1

I would echo the sentiment that I flat out don’t believe that layout IF it’s going to be close in length to Diamondback.

That would just be a hilariously tone-deaf waste of money and it’d be a travesty if that’s the route KI/Cedar Fair chose to go. I think they’re smarter than that. After being on the fence about it for a long time, I think I’m in the “fake layout” camp.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:

I'm going to have to disagree with the ratio. 

Per Metropolitan Statistical Areas in 2015:

Cincinnati: 2,157,719 (39th in North America)
Charlotte: 2,426,363 (32nd in North America)
Cincinnati when you combine it with Dayton/Middletown (which KI pulls pass holders and employees from): 2,956,951 (jumps it to 25th in North America)
Toronto: 6,116,725 (7th in North America) 

There are other factors as well: access to transportation, distance to nearby population centers, demographics, disposable income, economic outlook, etc. 

I think what's become clear are two things: 
1) For years, Kings Island was Paramount Park's big draw. It has a loyal season pass base, excellent regional location throughout the Midwest, etc. That was even evident during the OG TAFT/KECO years when the place was designed/marketed as a total resort destination (like many parks of the time, then regional parks became what they are today). 
2) Under Paramount, Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds were successful parks, but clearly PP hadn't realized their full potential. Carowinds also benefits from the fact that Charlotte is growing at an immense pace and Toronto is a major, international city. Wonderland is finally taking advantage of the audience they can pull from in their market. 

I think what we're seeing here (in terms of disappointment) is that KI isn't the "golden goose" so to speak anymore. The powers-that-be are going to chose installations and expenditures that make sense. Ultimately, no group or demographic with true buying power cares whether or not this new attraction breaks any of the chain's records or competes with similar rides in the chain

It'll be a big, new ride that will excite the season pass base, draw people from the region, and get people to come spend money. 

I get it, though, enthusiasts want to see something big and spectacular. And that's ok. It's just not the determining factor when it comes to park investments. 

I disagree. People care about record breaking attractions. They will travel farther to ride them. Why do you think Carowinds went over the 3 million in attendance? It's not just because Carowinds is in a growing market, it's because people want to go there to ride something that has a lot of hype. Fury brought that hype.  I travelled to Carowinds to ride Fury. I would not have gone there otherwise.  Why do you think people travel all the way to CP? They go there for it's record breaking attractions. CP is not located in an ideal location to draw a lot of people and it's only somewhat close to 3 major cities, but people still go there because of it's brand. CP knows KI could be "the golden goose" but they choose to keep it second to CP because they don't want their flagship park to get outdone by KI. I believe KI beat CP in attendance a few years back. This was without all of those attractions that CP has to draw the crowds up there.  Put a world record breaking coaster at KI and attendance could push the 4 million mark. 

• Like 5

I think DB was short of those 'as the bird flies' distance figures (unfortunately, my source is a long deleted post on a now defunct coaster forum), but factor in that a giga will have significantly taller elements, and it'll be well upwards of a mile. 

I do think within the layout, it won't be entirely big hill after big hill and there will be a stretch or 2 that lets it get some sustained speed.  That's one feature that sets gigas apart from hypers, for the most part.  

• Like 4

• malem locked this topic