Twisted Timbers at KD is getting metal detectors

Implementation sounds poor, but could be better than it sounds in practice.  But I am not a fan of pouches on coasters.  The idea of metal detectors that are then followed by enough distance to the train where you could put the items back in your pockets is not going to work.

The best way to fix this long term is to redesign the line.  Have a space which you can enter from the line right before the station and from the exit with free lockers which have keys on wrist bands.  Lock your items before continuing to the station and use metal detectors when leaving this space so you know the guest does not have them when they go to the station.  To prevent guests from looping around from the exit back into the line provide guests with tokens or signs of some kind as they enter the locker area and require them to exit back into the line.  I have seen this at several parks and I will admit mostly in Japan, but it works.

56 minutes ago, Kenban said:

The idea of metal detectors that are then followed by enough distance to the train where you could put the items back in your pockets is not going to work.

According to a repost from a facebook page called Kings Dominion Connoisseurs I saw, the process is:

Here is the Twisted Timbers metal detector. Have your phone and keys or whatever pocket items in hand as you start to arrive at it. You will put your hands over your head with items to pass through the detector. If you don't have any items, that is it, if you have items you will get a hand stamp that's says "scanned". This signifies that you have items and the harness checker will make sure items are placed in the pouch under your seat.

So it sounds like they're trying to stop the putting items back in your pocket and actually enforce the pouch use.

Seen on https://www.facebook.com/groups/kdconnoisseurs/permalink/1032730146921592/ (I'm not sure how to link direct to the post)

I guess I don't quite understand why they are doing the metal detectors.

At Universal they have them but they also do not allow any loose articles on the ride at all.  Twister Timbers is allowing for phones and stuff but they have to be put in a pouch.  I'm 2050% in favor of the pouches, but I don't quite understand what the metal detectors are supposed to accomplish.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, malem said:

^ See above. There are zipper pouches under the seats for small metallic items, so you don't need a locker unless you have a larger bag with you.

I see now, still kind of wished they just used bins like on Beast or Diamondback, but I understand the issues that come with that.

I often wonder if the “no loose article” policy would be effective if the refillable cups weren’t a thing. I don’t think that backpacks would make much of a difference under the right circumstances. Honestly a half full refillable bottle with carefully setting it down so it doesn’t spill, keeping it separated from others so they don’t get mixed up, and/or looking for a last minute place to dump it is the real capacity killer. 

• Like 1