The old Arade Building & Monster

super7

There is

Halley's Coffee
Zodiac Books
Tumble Bug Market
Skylab Café.

Then you have Monster Toys.  All of the others are retired rides.  I hope this is not a hint toward the future.  But Monster is getting close to 50 and it is one of the few Coney heritage rides still remaining (correct?)
I also noticed that some of Monster's orange lights were burnt out or replace with white lights.  Are they not giving it tlc this year for a reason?

If for some reason it goes they should hunt down an awesome Huss Magic to fill its place......

• Like 1

I believe the intent was just to reference the park's history. The new storefront is an extension of KMAA's theming, which includes "advertisements" for Wild Animal Habitat and Racer Radio. The latter of which, like Monster, still lives in the park. 

On 4/21/2019 at 7:11 AM, WWC2003Amy said:

I feel like they are more likely to refurbish the monster (with a new lighting package) than to remove/replace it. It may only get a partial year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did that with Shake Rattle and Roll, so that sounds highly likely! 

• Like 1

Monster is such a classic at the park and I don't think we will see her go anytime soon. That being said I hope renovation is in the future of Monster. It used to have a spiral design painted on the ground and I would love to see that back! Coney Mall 1981 - Notice the absence of Monster..jpg

• Like 1

I would suspect a complete Coney Mall renovation next year with Racer and most likely monster to receive some big upgrades.  Doubtful that the park would be removing it as it seems that's not the direction that they're going in when it comes to bringing back nostalgia. 

The Arcade could use a nice upgrade too, which I can also see happening next year.

20 hours ago, Coaster Critics said:

Monster is such a classic at the park and I don't think we will see her go anytime soon. That being said I hope renovation is in the future of Monster. It used to have a spiral design painted on the ground and I would love to see that back! Coney Mall 1981 - Notice the absence of Monster..jpg

That would be cool, I don’t think a little touch up on her would be a bad this either. But I say no to a new lighting package. I say keep it original in that sense. 

2 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

It would be nice if the monster could Lower all its arms at once to help with loading and unloading. 

It's part of how the ride works, though.  The cars run on something like a cam.  Would require additional hydraulics to raise and lower and would be a lot more expensive.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 7:57 AM, canobie#1 said:

I would suspect a complete Coney Mall renovation next year with Racer and most likely monster to receive some big upgrades.  Doubtful that the park would be removing it as it seems that's not the direction that they're going in when it comes to bringing back nostalgia. 

The Arcade could use a nice upgrade too, which I can also see happening next year.

I dont think we will see a complete renovation as we just got Coney BBQ and the refurbished international street that was done last year. I think we will 100% see some TLC and "sprucing up" the area as that is the first thing all the media and everyone will see on their way back to Orion. I dont think we will see total re do, but def will get a little more love then the say Rivertown or Action Zone.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 10:39 PM, LondonFreak said:

They did that with Shake Rattle and Roll, so that sounds highly likely! 

I hate what they did with srr & the scrambler from a photography standpoint LED lights dont give that warm motion blur glow that incandescent bulbs give offCapture+_2019-08-28-16-25-55.png

Photo:

SRR 7- 23- 2013

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I have mixed feelings about an LED upgrade on Monster. If they can't get LED bulbs in the same shape and color like it has now, it might take away from the look of the ride.

I tend to agree. I really liked the look of Shake Rattle & Roll before the LED refit, even if some people thought it looked dated. Each arm being its own color was also really cool. 

I really dislike CP's Monster after it was redone. The LEDs and the goofy faces on each pod take away from that retro look that KI's still has. I truly hope ours does not get the same treatment. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I have mixed feelings about an LED upgrade on Monster. If they can't get LED bulbs in the same shape and color like it has now, it might take away from the look of the ride.

I agree. l miss the neon light tubes on the center piece removed several years back.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 11:12 PM, KI Guy said:

I agree. l miss the neon light tubes on the center piece removed several years back.

Can they install incandescent bulds or neon bulbs still? I was under the impression that the LEDs and CFLs were required by law, but it is very possible that I am misunderstanding and this only applies to individual households. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonFreak said:

Can they install incandescent bulds or neon bulbs still? I was under the impression that the LEDs and CFLs were required by law, but it is very possible that I am misunderstanding and this only applies to individual households. 

Anyone can install whatever they want. The laws you're speaking of affect the manufacturing of incandescent light bulbs. There's a certain efficiency a bulb has to make to be sold in the US and incandescent bulbs usually fail to meet that standard. Novelty lights used for decorative purposes are exempt from the standard. They'll be incandescent amusement ride bulbs for many years to come. 

• Like 3

Two quick questions regarding the Coney Mall pic above...

Where is the "actual" Monster ride in that photo? Seems to be dismantled or something as it appears only the center mechanical part is there.

Also, in regard to Racer, assuming that the pic was taken in the 70's, there seems to be an already existing pathway under the drop to access the other side of Racer in the FoF area, so why did they feel the need to remove Racer's last dip?  

5 minutes ago, KingsMills79 said:

Two quick questions regarding the Coney Mall pic above...

Where is the "actual" Monster ride in that photo? Seems to be dismantled or something as it appears only the center mechanical part is there.

Also, in regard to Racer, assuming that the pic was taken in the 70's, there seems to be an already existing pathway under the drop to access the other side of Racer in the FoF area, so why did they feel the need to remove Racer's last dip?  

In regards to your first question, Monster was removed after 1980 and was shipped to Canada's Wonderland. We got a new Monster for 1982.

The last dip on The Racer was removed because executives wanted to increase the height clearance on that path with it being opened up to guest foot traffic.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, flightoffear1996 said:

It would be nice if the monster could Lower all its arms at once to help with loading and unloading. 

A Huss Magic does that and is a superior ride with gondolas that are under the arms and 4 wide seating.  

The Schwarzkopf monsters also load all at once.