April 29th, 1972 KI opens to the public - 47 Years Today

IndyGuy4KI

I cherish all the memories that I’ve gotten to experience and will continue to experience at the park. It’s a special place, so many Birthday celebrations there, memories with childhood friends & Family there. Just a lot of good experiences and memories this park has helped created.

Where else can I go and experience something that hasn't changed since I was a kid? Most of my old schools are torn down, stores I visited are almost all closed, and I can't visit my childhood home.  But, I can go ride The Racer.  It was there in the 70's when I visited as a toddler.  Rode it with friends in college, through times of various jobs, and can go ride it today.  I can go ride the first "big" coasters that I got on almost 30 years ago, and that I rode on dates 20 years ago.  I can walk by the fountains and look at the Eiffel Tower that my mom and aunt experienced before I was born.  Kings Island is literally one of the very few places where you can still go and re-visit the decades of your life.  

• Like 9

• 11 months later...

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask in, but I had found an article that mentioned opening day attractions that were brought over to Kings Island from Coney Island. Two of the attractions listed were Kikiki Kangaroo and Motor Mouse. I've searched all over for more information on these two rides but I couldn't find any. Have any of you heard of/ remember these two attractions, or at least have info on them.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2019/09/09/history-old-coney-island-rides-relocated-kings-island-1972/2266831001/

Here's the article I found

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shaggy said:

They were small children’s rides placed in Hanna-Barbera Land.  Both revolved - One had kangaroos you sat in that went up and down, the other was cars.

96D98961-E2E7-4F1A-A52F-54A95DD80BF8.jpeg

Thank you! I knew they were in  Hanna-Barbara land, but I had no clue what kind of rides they were. The picture pretty cool too 

45 minutes ago, DiamondBeast said:

Thank you! I knew they were in  Hanna-Barbara land, but I had no clue what kind of rides they were. The picture pretty cool too 

Here's a fun fact for you.  When KI first opened, the children's rides in HB Land were clustered together and covered by a large "tent."  The tent was made of triangular tarps and when viewed from above looked like slices of pie.  So - ride operators referred to that cluster of rides as "pie."  Over the years, the name stuck and to this very day the park still refers to the various sections of Planet Snoopy (formerly HB Land) as "pie."  So if you work "South Pie" then that means you work on the kids rides in the south (lower) side of the kids area.

21122222_380551822348118_5960977884451972681_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Here's a fun fact for you.  When KI first opened, the children's rides in HB Land were clustered together and covered by a large "tent."  The tent was made of triangular tarps and when viewed from above looked like slices of pie.  So - ride operators referred to that cluster of rides as "pie."  Over the years, the name stuck and to this very day the park still refers to the various sections of Planet Snoopy (formerly HB Land) as "pie."  So if you work "South Pie" then that means you work on the kids rides in the south (lower) side of the kids area.

21122222_380551822348118_5960977884451972681_o.jpg

I always wondered why they referred to the sections in Hanna Barbara land as sections of pie.