Your Top 10 Coasters Discussion (All Parks- not just KI)

McSalsa

As suggested by @CoasterMegRN in the decoding 2020 thread, they thought this would be a interesting topic for discussion. Since it is technically kinda a poll, I put in in polls, but if a mod feels this is out of place they can probably move it.

This one is simple. What are your current Top 10 coasters? What makes you like each one so much, if you wanna explain it? Also the total # of coasters you have ridden (doesn't need to be 100% accurate if you don't keep lists- just a guess) might be useful for others. Also your list doesn't even need to be ranked, if you want you can just pick 10 of your favorite rides and have them unsorted. And you can go from #1 to #10, or go upwards from 10 for "dramatic effect" (like I am gonna). :P And you can split up Steel and Wood, etc, or keep them together. 

With all this said- here is my current list. Note I have only been to 3 parks in recent years (since 2009)- Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Holiday World and have only ridden 35 (by my count) coasters...still, getting on my Top 10 already isn't that easy!

#10- The Legend @ Holiday World

Holiday World has 4 coasters (and 2 epic water coasters that are not eligible for this list despite their awesomeness) , and all 4 are well reviewed by most, but Legend is usually the one people seem to shaft. However, I love this ride, and think it's better than Raven or Thunderbird (spoiler: they didn't make my Top 10 even though I really like both! I told you this list wasn't that easy)! This CCI wooden creation features a epic curved 113 foot drop into a tunnel, some nice airtime hills under water slides, VERY powerful laterals (strongest of ANY coaster I have ridden so far besides a Wild Mouse at the Indiana State Fair) and it has a cool double helix (with tunnels like Beast) and 4 lateral-heavy (though a bit tamed in recent years but not too much) final turns. It is also pretty smooth for a nearly 20-year-old woodie thanks to the GCI retrack in 2016. 

#9- Mystic Timbers @ Kings Island

Kings Island's current newest coaster (soon to no longer be true) is another great wooden coaster. On paper, the stats don't look like much- 109 feet tall is OK height for a woodie, but 53mph? And only about as long as Racer? However, Mystic Timbers packs a punch in spite of its small size. It starts with another curved drop, and then it is airtime hill after airtime hill, with some pretty good air to boot, and in what is now standard for GCI, there is not a single foot of straight track: it's all either a drop, twist, or turn and it's all in a wooded setting. The only real knock I have on this coaster is the short length, and yes, the "shed" ending is just a glorified brake run. But they did put more detail in that shed than you may first expect, and it has kinda grown on me a bit since 2017. If I am ever at Kings Island, odds are, I'm gonna go in that shed a few more times.

#8- Top Thrill Dragster @ Cedar Point

Well, I usually don't like super short roller coasters unless they really do something cool to overcome that shortness, and this one is only 17 seconds long...yet the fact TTD makes it to my #8 spot should say a lot. This coaster has the height and speed in spades: at 420 feet tall and 120mph, it is the tallest and fastest coaster I have ever ridden. The sheer size of this ride alone is enough to intimidate, making it a bit like Drop Tower where the scariest part isn't even part of "the ride": it's when you are on the launch track, waiting to launch. The catch car latches on, you pull back...and then you feel the pressure of insane G-force as you rocket to 120mph. As you shoot 400 feet in the air, you feel relief from the G's and stare into the sky, but then you see Millennium Force and plummet to the ground, doing a twist on the way down! Then comes the finish sign, and the ride is over. It is only a 17 second ride, but it is a very epic 17 seconds.

#7- Diamondback @ Kings Island

Kings Island's current tallest and fastest coaster (also possibly won't be true much longer) stands 230 feet tall and goes a claimed 80mph. However, as you plummet down the 215-foot first drop, especially if in one of the rear cars, Diamondback's focus will become clear: this coaster is designed for maximum sustained airtime. On a slow day (usually in the early AM hours), it's just good floater, but when the coaster is warmed up and running well it becomes very strong, sometimes even giving what feels like sustained ejector air! The coaster is also very smooth, and the B&M clamshell restraints are the most comfortable I have ever ridden with so far. The splashdown at the end is also nice, though it is only for off-ride viewers mostly.

#6- Magnum XL-200 @ Cedar Point

Yep- as much as I love Diamondback, I still (barely) perfer the OG Hypercoaster Arrow made in 1989. Magnum XL-200 isn't as smooth as Diamondback, which is gonna be a given since it's 20 years older and a Arrow, but I never felt it was too rough and thus this added to the charm. The first drop has a epic view of Lake Erie, CP Shores, and the beach- though not much airtime even from the back cars. However, Magnum XL-200 seemingly gets more and more intense with each element- something Diamondback does not. By the time you are in the pretzel knot, you get some great positive G's. But then come the airtime hills on the return run- oh man, these hills are why I have this coaster this high: welcome to the ejector air buffet! And some of the hills are IN TUNNELS- always a plus in my book. Just be sure to try and leave some room on the lap bar for your thighs: in classic Arrow fashion, they used Mine Train style cars on this ride (a straight lap bar with ejector air!?!?). Still, it's very much worth it, IMO.

#5- The Beast @ Kings Island

This massive wooden behemoth opened 40 years ago, and is still one of Kings Island's more popular attractions, and is probably its most famous. Yet it is also controversial- some people adore it, others hate it. It isn't your typical woodie by any stretch: there is only 1 airtime hill that rarely gives even a whiff of air, the big drops are more like ramps, the ride is mostly long swooping curves, and there are some annoying trim brakes along the course. However, it is very fast for a woodie (even with the trims) and it basically runs with the theme of "big wooden coaster rampages through woods at high speed". The roughness- so long as it isn't too much, I try to avoid very back wheel seats but front and middle are OK- can actually add to the ride's out-of-control feeling. It's also a very long ride- still the world's longest 40 years later. Then the double helix at the end is pure insanity, few coasters have anything nearly that intense (and this is WITH a trim brake!). And while this leads to ride I very much enjoy when the sun is up, The Beast must be ridden at night to get the full experience- when the sun is gone, the woods become pitch black, and The Beast goes from a good ride to a epic journey where each element (yes even the double helix) feels even more intense than in the daylight.

#4- Millennium Force @ Cedar Point

Millennium Force is kinda the steel version of Beast in that it also focuses on speed. Since it is a butter smooth "modern" coaster- unlike Beast which shakes and rumbles because it's a old woodie- Millennium Force must go higher and faster to get a good sensation of speed: and boy, it does. The lift stands a mammoth 310 feet tall, with a 300 foot drop at 80 degrees- my favorite first drop on ANY coaster I have been on thus far due to this sheer size. Then you go 93mph, and the overbanked turns begin. If these turns were not as high, I imagine this ride would pull a lot of strong G's (Intimidator 305 style), but then it would probably not be liked by the GP as much. The ride also offers some decent airtime hills, it's not as good as the hypers I have been on but it's solid and here the airtime hills aren't the focus, it is the speed. The coaster also runs through the woods and into tunnels twice, which are neat features. Cedar Point has built many more coasters since this opened in 2000, and yet this one remains very popular: and for good reason, IMO.

#3- The Voyage @ Holiday World

A more modern take on what Beast tried to create in the 1970s- a huge, super long wooden coaster- but with a much more eventful layout in terms of elements. Voyage has immense size for a wooden coaster- 159 feet tall, 6400+ feet long, and a 67mph top speed- just like Beast, but it starts with 3 huge airtime hills similar to what Diamondback has, and then it features some very twisty sections similar to Mystic Timbers (with PTC trains instead of GCI though so it is a bit more awkward). And like Beast, it is buried in the woods (though Thunderbird's addition in 2015 dug into them somewhat). There is a lot of airtime here too- 24+ seconds in fact, according to the "official" stats. It can be very rough if caught on a bad day, but my 2 rides in 2018 were both pretty smooth and when this coaster is running well it is clearly among the best in the world. It also, once again like Beast, gives a epic night ride...if you can get one with Holiday World's weird hours.

#2- Maverick @ Cedar Point

Maverick proves you don't need to be stupidly tall or fast to give a intense, thrilling ride. Maverick stands only 105 feet tall, and while the ride has a top speed of 70mph, for most of the ride you are probably going closer to 50-55. However, Maverick packs a punch: it starts with a LAUNCH LIFT HILL. Granted, it's only about 20mph, but still. This is followed by a beyond vertical drop and then come many twists, turns, and some great airtime hills: the big airtime hill in the 1st half is awesome and usually gives great ejector air. Then come two corkscrew-style flips. After that when some might think the ride is almost over, you launch at 70mph out of a tunnel (then get trimmed down to 55) into more twists, turns, and airtime hills before the ride finally stops. This bucking Bronco was my favorite ride at Cedar Point and #1 overall at the end of 2017, but then...

#1- Steel Vengeance @ Cedar Point

....some Outlaws showed up, seekin' Vengeance for Maverick's crimes! The former Mean Streak (which I never rode BTW) has been transformed into a monster hybrid coaster, with steel track on wooden supports. In this transformation the ride became taller (205 feet tall), faster (74mph), longer (5400+ feet), and elements which were very tame on Mean Streak became insane on the new ride. And while there were some hiccups (trains bumping, hot sauce, and whatnot) the overall ride experience seems to be a smash hit with nearly everyone...me included. This coaster has it all. It's huge, fast, intense, and it has tons of airtime everywhere- and a lot of it is Magnum XL-200 level airtime! Add 4 inversions- 2 of which are in the final section in the huge wooden structure- and you have a true winner. This is the only RMC I have ridden so far, but if they are anything like this on their other rides, I can see why the company is so hyped.

And that is my personal current Top 10, as of May 2019. This will probably change as I go to more parks in the future, obviously. Also this is just a "template" feel free to make your own lists less detailed (or more) if you want as stated above. Enjoy the poll/discussion!

• Like 4

I have ridden 148 coasters.

Wooden Coasters:

1. Boulder Dash, The layout is great with a lot of air time, it uses the terrain well and you feel like you are racing through the woods.
2. El Toro
3. Ghostrider
4. Comet (Hersheypark)
5. The Beast
6. Lightning Racer
7. White Lightning 
8. Twister 
9. Great White
10. Thunderbolt (Kennywood)

Steel Coasters:

1. Millennium Force, I like how this coaster is smooth, the overbank turns are fun, the first drop is great and the ride time is great, not 30 seconds like some other coasters.
2. Nitro
3. Diamondback
4. Raptor
5. Banshee
6. Maverick
7. Montu
8. Talon
9. Dueling Dragons: Fire
10. Dueling Dragons: Ice

If only currently operating coasters count, my 9 and 10 ranked steel coasters would be Cheetah Hunt and sooperdooperlooper.

• Like 3

I will do top 10 from a wood and steel list as I separate the 2 due to the two having their own limitations that they can and can't do things like the other, and will only elaborate on the top 5 of each to keep the post short.  I do have an entire ranking list on my About Me page in my profile, my coaster count being in my signature.

Steel

10. Storm Runner

9. Phantom's Revenge

8. Rougarou

7. Medusa/Bizzaro

6. Banshee

5. Millennium Force- I love the drop.  300 ft at an 80 degree angle at 93 mph, just a pure speed machine through and through.  It may not have a lot of strong forces, which is why its only at 5, but it makes up for it in keeping up its speed through the course, which is spread through the center of the park nicely.  I'm also a fan of the Intamin trains being so open.

4. Diamondback- Great first drop as well with the benefit of having better forces than MF.  Great airtime and 2 upward helices for some good positive g's.  The V-trains don't pace as consistently as some other stock, which makes it unique in being one of the few B&M's that has a bit more difference in the front vs the back.  

3. Nitro- This is nearly the same idea of Diamondback, but the 4 across trains pace better, it's got a better helix going up to the MCBR, and the 2 highly banked curved drops puts it over the top of Diamondback. 

2. Magnum XL-200- A true classic.  I like the more forceful Arrow transitions taken at the speeds it has.  It's got a great location on the beach as well, though, the hills on the return run can be annoying from time to time.  Good tunnels too, especially when they're at the crests of hills to create a lengthier head-chop effect.  

1. Steel Vengeance- It's a good blend of speed, forceful elements, and the bigger elements at the beginning have a bit of grace to them as you fly over the top hat and the outside banked hill on the 2 hills following the lift.  I think its forceful air is more comfortable than the likes of Maverick and Skyrush and the restraints are better, even if they have leg restraints that I'm normally not a fan of.  

Wood

10. Mystic Timbers

9. El Toro

8. Ravine Flyer II

7. Comet (HP)

6. Phoenix

5. Lightning Racer- Take the twisted goodness, surprise elements and pacing of a normal GCI and make it a pair that really takes advantage of its course, dueling back and forth with an intense race.  

4. Thunderhead- I have to admit with these two, I'm nitpicking since this and LR are about equal IMO, but there a few things that T-head edges out from LR.  First its got a good spot nestled in a valley adding in something of a terrain style to it, though its not married to it.  Next is the fact that I prefer twister layouts on GCI's as there's more head choppers and more of a sense of being out of control.  The station fly-through only adds to that feeling and its quite a unique moment I wish more coasters did.  The section between the station fly-through and the final brakes is pure chaos, they somehow made it crank up the cylinders even though its late in the ride.  

3. Beast- It is a bit weird for this to be here as its not as forceful or intense as its surrounding contenders, but its truly unique layout and length is what brings it up.  I have Voyage a bit further down, and yes it is nearly as long, but it stays too intense for too long.  I like coasters that long to have some sort of breather or some section where it lets up on the gas, but even with a MCBR, Voyage is a bit much for me.  Beast makes it work because its a bit drawn out, but those lulls build anticipation for its more dramatic elements, my favorite parts being the first drop, the drops following tunnel #2, and the helix.  Its location makes it feel like you're not in an amusement park anymore, more of a journey kind of layout than about any other coaster I've ridden.  Superb at night.

2. Twister- I prefer this to GCI's for one soul reason- its not overly banked.  And due to letting off on the curve angles, its a lateral G machine.  Not only that, but its more compact course means it has a good variety and flow between different elements.  One or two airtime filled hills usually follow into a high lateral curve, and that unexpected nature really helps.  Even if you know that layout, its hard to anticipate the next element in a good way.  

1. Legend- To me, this combines the elements from all 3 wooden layouts together very well.  It starts with an out and back section that has 1 great drop after another and a good turnaround.  As it comes back, it starts to adhere to the ground more for some terrain style elements, especially as it makes a few S-curve hills towards the helix, which, it then brings in twister elements as it darts under the structure.  The ending is a great bang-bang way to end with similar variety of elements as Twister.    Its just the right length, too. Also not banked too much to deliver insane lateral G's.

• Like 5

Can't wait to read everyone's favorites! I've always been into coasters but I'd say the obsession really started around 2012/2013. Since then I've been on a mission to find the best coasters in the world so I'm always curious of other's Top 10.

My current coaster count is around 60. I've been to Kings Island, Cedar Point, Carowinds, King's Dominion, Dollywood (lightening rod was down so it's not on the list), Busch Gardens Tampa, Universal FL both sides, Holiday World and Geauga Lake. It's really hard for me to narrow it to ten because I have a lot of ties.

Honorable mention: Thunderhead at Dollywood

Unpopular opinion but I loved this ride. Only got to ride it once though.

10: Banshee

9: Kumba at BGT. She doesn't look like much but wow this coaster is amazing!

8: Millennium Force. Yes, it's not incredibly high on my list. That is in part because this coaster was so overhyped to me that once I actually rode it, I was kind of disappointed. Still makes this list though!

7: Intimidator 305. Only ride to ever make me gray out. This one moves around my top ten quite often. Usually somewhere between 7-10. Also a disappointment because people had told me "it's like maverick and millennium!" It wasn't...

6: Dragon Challenge at Universal (RIP). Only got one ride but it was fantastic

5: Twisted Timbers at Kings Dominion.

4: Fury 325

3: Top Thrill Dragster. I don't get intimidated by coasters generally speaking but this thing is just on a whole new level! Waiting for that launch and then flying down the track at warped speed. It's an experience you can't find many places and you just have to ride it to understand.

Finally tied for 1&2: Maverick and Steel Vengeance both at Cedar Point. Y'all probably think I'm crazy for the tie so let me explain. Maverick holds a special place in my heart. I lived four hours from CP the first time I went. We got in the park just to find out nearly every ride was down due to wind. I was dying to ride MF, GateKeeper and TTD! Maverick was one of the only things open so we waited for that. I kept looking at how small it was in comparison to everything else. People in line were watching for MF to open up and said they'd jump out of line and run over there if they saw trains running. So at that point my expectations for Mav were LOW. Then my mind was blown! I had never experienced a 90 degree drop let alone 95. The snappy banked turns and fluidity of the inversions has me amazed. Then the launch in the tunnel...just wow. Once we hit the brake run I just started laughing uncontrollably. And it was totally worth that four hour drive just for that one ride! (I kept the ride pic too!)

And then SV. I had high expectations, I was NOT disappointed! I just don't have a great story like I do for maverick. However I will say Steel Vengeance has the best inversions I've ever experienced!

• Like 4

My coaster count isn’t very high at the current time so you will see a lot of KI coasters on here. 

10. TTD. While it’s all over in 17 seconds it packs a massive punch. TTD is an experienced yet to be paralleled for me. It’s such a rush that you can’t help but loving it. :)

9. Intimidator (Carowinds hyper coaster). It was a fun ride, I liked it for the same reasons that I like DB, lots of floater air time, smooth and thrilling! You also get a killer view of the parking lot:P

8. GateKeeper. The only reason this ride ranks so high in my list is because of the amount of near miss elements when riding the the front right seat. I love the inversion at the top of the first hill, the keyholes are also a unique experience. Another reason I love this ride is because I love going upside down and GateKeeper does a great job of that.(IMO)

7. Banshee. Yes  another not so very popular opinion, this is my Favorite B&M invert, I love the speed that Banshee offers as well as its Batwing inversion. It’s final inversion, the Zero G roll is killer! I love how slow it is and how you stay upside down for a spilt second. Yet again I’m a sucker for going upside down, so this ranks 6th. 

6. Millennium Force. Tall, fast and long! What’s not to love about that! I really like how you feel like you haven’t slowed down one single bit from the bottom of the first hill to the the final brake. It’s a very fast paced coaster and for that I like it.

5. Valravn. By now your thinking what’s wrong with me. Allow me to explain myself on this one, Valravn is an underwhelming ride but has a sentimental value to me. In 2016 I did the sunrise thrills vip tour and it was the absolute best day of my life!  It was by far the best sunrise I’ve ever seen and to spend it over 230 feet in the air makes it extra special! This is also the first rollercoaster I watched from start to finish as it was being built. As for the ride itself, I like the final inversion that Valravn offers, it’s probably the best part of the ride along with the first drop. So that’s why I like Valravn and it ranks high in my list. 

4. Beast. While it may not be the tallest or fastest wood he coaster anymore as the 1979 ad suggest, she is still the absolute baddest wooden coaster around.(yes the last statement is contradicting). Just because she isn’t the newest gal at the ball doesn't mean she isn’t the best. This 40 year old mammoth of a coaster still dominates River Town with her pure Fury. The Beast is a one of a kind, I love the long ride she gives and the way she whips you around and it all goes down in the woods of River Town. My favorite part is by far the double helix at the end of the ride. 

3. Diamondback. This is my top coaster from KI. It’s also the coaster I have the most rides on. Diamondback is a very fun ride, and because of my many rides on her, I’ve been able to pick out the bad and the good. The good is many things, floater airtime, longer than average ride, splashdown were the coaster actually hits then water, steep first drop, nice scenery and many more! Diamondback is special to me because of the amount of rides I've had on her, I guess I just need Diamondback in my life.

2. Maverick. This is a coaster I could ride again and again and again! Maverick is not tall by any means, is sort of fast and doesn’t look like it does much from an onlookers’s perspective. But that couldn’t be further from the truth. As many of you know, Maverick is a fast, low to the ground and very intense coaster, the coaster puts the “Wild” in they Wild West. Maverick scared my the first time a i rode it, I never expected it to go so fast! The way it keeps low to the ground is astounding, I can’t get enough! I love her speed and agility and that is why Maverick ranks #2 on my list. 

1. Fury 325. Do I even have to explain myself on this one? Ok I will, it’s tall, it’s fast af and it’s a long-ish ride. Fury mixed amazing speed and cool elements into a very cool ride! My Favorite part of the ride was the unique treble clef. Another part of this ride that I though was cool was the dive under the pedestrian. This is as cool off ride as it is on ride. So overall it ranks #1 for me.

Sorry about the long post and how opinionated it was, but their it is, hope you enjoyed:D

• Like 3

My Top 10:

1. Intimidator 305(Kings Dominion) (Easily dominates the Gigas)

2. Banshee(Kings Island)

3. Gate Keeper(Cedar Point)

4. Top Thrill Dragster(Cedar Point)

5. Steel Vengeance(Cedar Point)

6. Fury 325(Carowinds)

7. Night Hawk(Carowinds)

8. Twisted Timbers(Kings Dominion)

9. Valravn(Cedar Point)

10. Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

List of Parks i've been to in order of favorite:

1. Cedar Point

2. Kings Island

3. Carowinds

4. Canada's Wonderland

5. King's Dominion. 

I've also been to Disney World, and Universal, but it has been too long ago to truly rank them.

• Like 1

I guess I'll throw up my park rankings as well (I'm excluding the Disney and Universal Studios parks I've been to, they're in their own tier IMO)-

1. Dollywood

2. Hersheypark

3. Knoebels

4. Holiday World

5. Cedar Point

6. Kings Island

7. Kings Dominion

8. Dorney Park

9. Six Flags Great Adventure

10. Kentucky Kingdom

11. Waldameer

12. Michigan's Adventure

Distant 13. Kennywood 

• Like 1

I'm gonna do a combined list cause I'm too lazy to do wood and steel lists, haha. I'm at 290-something coasters now.

10. Phoenix, Knoebels. You don't understand how fun airtime can be until you ride this ride. RMC makes fantastic rides, but RMC does not understand the nuanced thrill of finding yourself almost standing up from ejector airtime plus buzz bars.

9. Magnum XL-200, Cedar Point. I don't have reasons for this that make sense anymore. It hurts and I like it.

8. Apollo's Chariot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg. AC and Nitro exist in this weird bubble of B&M's history where they were totally cool with putting abrupt ejector airtime on their mega coasters. Dunno what happened there, but I wish they'd keep doing that. Anyway, Apollo does it more and is also at one of the best parks in the world (although SFGAdv is great in its own way, too.)

7. Adventure Express, Kings Island. Y'all may have heard of this one? It's one of the best mine trains (I'd put it on par with Silver Dollar City's and Six Flags over Texas's) but I also have a ton of personal history with it. We have family stories about me being scared of it. It's also the only coaster I've ever worked. I can't not love it. I'll cry when its day comes.

6. Shock Wave, Six Flags over Texas. Schwarzkopf does NOT get enough love in the 21st century, and I am here to shame you all for it. You do not know how good coasters can be till you've ridden a Schwarzkopf looper (that's not Sooperdooperlooper cause that one's basically a tamer mine train with a loop.) Shock Wave gets the edge over Mind Bender for having stupidly strong airtime in the back. Mind Bender is great too, though.

5. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure. We as a collective group of humans forgot this ride existed when RMC burst forth. I'm confused. El Toro is great. You crazy kids and your Alan Schilkes...

4. The Boss, Six Flags St. Louis. It does a better job of Voyage's pacing while being a lot more pleasant to ride. There, I said it. I regret nothing. (jk i love u voyage just stop hurting me plz im not 16 anymore thx)

1 (tie). Verbolten, Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Nothing--NOTHING--is as fun as taking unsuspecting newbies on this ride's drop track. But also, I love the charm and adventure of this ride and the horrors of the Black Forest. Do I wish the story of this ride was more evident and easier to pick up in the queue? Yes. Would I literally kill for us to have a ride themed on this level and even with its current storytelling methods? Also yes. Do I also think the way you slow down on the bridge over the Rhine was actually originally intended to be a launch because they use LSMs (not brake fins) to slow you down despite the teaser videos making it look like you'd careen over the edge of the bridge but then the rest of the ride would have been too intense? Also also yes. Where was I going with this? Dunno. Go ride Verbolten though.

1 (tie). Expedition Everest, Animal Kingdom. It's the same story as Verbolten, but Nepal and a yeti instead of Germany and Sandra Bullock. Do I have a type? Possibly. Am I ever going to change that? Probably not. Have I ever waited in the standby line to fully understand the story? No. Do I tell myself I will before every WDW trip but then I get there and FastPass or the single rider line call to me? You betcha.

1 (tie). Fury 325, Carowinds. If B&M's not gonna do the abrupt ejector air thing anymore (see number 8), then at least they did this. I dunno whose idea it was to mostly ditch the giant camelback thing Leviathan has going on, but I wanna give them a hug because they made something that's the right amount of I305's turns and Millennium Force's sense of speed and hesitancy to make me gray out and none of Leviathan's desire to put me to sleep. I dunno what Walter and Claude were thinking, but I hope they think about it again if they're doing any work for us for next year.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

1. Millennium Force

2. Mystic Timbers

3. Diamondback

4. Valravn

5. Flight of Fear (launch is SO intense)

6. Banshee

7. GateKeeper

8. Swamp Fox (Family Kingdom Myrtle Beach)

9. Blue Streak

10. Wicked Twister

Please note that I have not ridden maverick, steel vengeance, or steel vengeance yet since I didn’t have the time to.

• Like 2

Here are my top 10 coasters

10 - Wicked Twister - Very back seat every ride. Feels like you'll fly right off the track.

9 - Banshee - Pretty good suspended coaster. Not my favorite though.

8 - The Beast  - Such a classic!

7- Diamondback - The best Hypercoaster that I have been on.

6 - Afterburn - Easily the best suspended coaster B&M has ever built in the USA.

5 - Fury 325 - Pretty awesome for being the tallest and fastest giga coaster. Not my favorite though.

4 - Top Thrill Dragster - I mean this is an amazing coaster and the first to go over 400 feet tall. AMAZING.

3- Mill Force - The OG, this coaster has amazed me since day 1. I love it.

2 - Steel Vengeance - This big bad coaster is amazing. I have only been on it once but I could see this coaster getting better with each ride.

1 - MAVERICK - if you couldn't already tell Mav's is my all time favorite and always will be. It is the coaster that made me an enthusiast. I followed the construction from day 1. I named my dog Maverick.  I love this coaster! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:51 AM, flightoffear1996 said:

I haven’t been on a lot of coasters so my list probably isn’t valid but here’s it is. 

5. The Beast at night

4. The Raven 

3. The Racer

2. Viper at SFGA

1. Maverick 

Raven is your fav coaster at Holiday World?

8 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Yes, however after my last visit I believe it has fallen off my list. 

Just wondering. I don't think I've ever seen anybody prefer Raven over Voyage. Most people rank it below both Voyage and Legend. I'm sure you have your reasons though:)

• 5 weeks later...

I have made my list here.  I have ridden 96 coasters, but have not been to any of the Cedar Fair parks other than KI or CP.  Also have not been to any Six Flags park.  You’ll note the absence of the Holiday World coasters on my list like many others have.  It has been 13+ years since I have been on them and just remember them hurting.

10. Expedition Everest – The theming and detail and story on this ride just totally blew my mind.  First time I rode it, I was in the front seat.   Zooming through the mountain, seeing the track so close in front, not knowing which way it was going to twist or turn next, not knowing what might jump out next was just sensory overload.  It has all of this and some surprises.  And the bit where you go backwards really adds to the sense of urgency as far as the story goes.  I love the feeling of being in a completely different world on this coaster and that is why it made my list.

9.  Top Thrill Dragster – I’ve been on this 3 or 4 times now and every time, the build up right before getting on is really something.  Not many rides give me that anxious feeling anymore, but this one still does every time.  The speed, the rush, and the intensity is unlike anything else I know. 

8. Kraken Unleashed – I’ve only ridden this gem a handful of times and all of these rides were right after it opened in 2001.  My first floorless coaster experience and I had the best time that day because of this ride and Journey to Atlantis.   Maybe I keep it on the list for nostalgia, because I don’t remember a lot of details about the ride itself, but I remember how it made me feel that day.  Looking forward to riding it again next Spring to see if it still measures up to my memory of it. Who knows, maybe I wont like it and will decide to place the entry with Rougarou?

7. Montu – This still holds up as my favorite invert.  The speed, the theme, the dives.  The first time I had ridden this the only other inverts I had been on was Raptor and the Dueling Dragons.  This left all of those behind in a way I had never thought possible as I had been so impressed with the Dragons.  The ride still holds up today.

6. Mystic Timbers – The more I ride this, the more I like it.  Zipping through the woods, over WWC, the perception of speed is prevalent.  I love how there is barely a piece of track that isn’t dropping, climbing, twisting, or turning.  Even the shed at the end provides a distraction while waiting to head back into the station.  I could ride this on repeat for hours!

5. Steel Vengeance – Whoa this coaster is really something else!  From the speed to the twists and turns there is nothing I have ever ridden that compares to this thing.  The only reason it is ranked so down on my list and not at number 1 is because of how badly the restraints hurt me when I ride.  They sink down and pin me in so hard I spend half of my time riding thinking about how uncomfortable I am.  If it weren’t for that, this one would probably be #1.

4. Diamondback – Good speed on the first drop, and some sweet relaxing floater air for most of the rest of the journey.  Love the clamshell restraints.  Love the airtime.  The trip back into the area formerly occupied by the Keelboats while floating upwards on each hill is always quite pleasant to me.  Never huge thrills, but always a delight.

3. Maverick – Rode this bad boy for the first time a couple of months ago.  After hearing all good things about it, I was excited to try it for myself.  The last time I was at Cedar Point was the summer they had the fences up about this coming new attraction for the following summer.  That second launch takes you by surprise if you don’t know its coming.  Awesome.  The tight turns, the speed, the thrills.  My kids and I rode this thing 6 or 7 times on our 2 day trip to the point and loved every lap.

2. Millennium Force – The fast lift hill overlooking Lake Erie, that first drop…wonderful and amazing.  The speed, the turns, everything about this one is just right for me. 

1. Beast (At night, Front Row) -  So this is kind of a controversial pick for me.  As I small child in the early 80’s this coaster was the main thing that people talked about that mentioned Kings Island.  I anticipated what it would be like to ride this while I was very young.  As I got bigger and was able to finally graduate to riding, it was one of the best feelings that I remember having as a kid and that was probably around 32 years ago.  So there is a lot of nostalgia at play here with this pick as well I believe.  The Beast during the day in any seat might put this coaster back at around #4 on the list for me.  But the night rides through the woods in that front seat is my favorite thing at any theme park ever.  Being so secluded and having a nice romp through the Forest really takes you out of reality.  Then the intensity of the double Helix, being plunged into complete darkness through those tunnels.  I cannot say enough good things about this ride at night!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not a huge fan of ranking coasters (my opinion changes all the time anyway), but here it goes:
1. Steel Vengeance
2. Banshee
3. Afterburn
4. Intimidator 305
5. Phantom's Revenge
6. Diamondback
7. Son of Beast
8. Millenium Force
9. Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast
10. Apollo's Chariot

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1. The Voyage

2. Steel Vengeance

3. Maverick

4. Fury 325

5. Millennium Force

6. Top Thrill Dragster

7. Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

8. Storm Chaser

9. The Legend

10. Revenge of the Mummy

I have been on 75 coasters in total, so my sample size is not huge. My highest KI coaster is Mystic Timbers at 12, but I am expecting Orion to change that in a few months.

I haven't been to a ton of places.  And I am gonna lean on ones that have earned it over time.  Steel Vengeance won't be my number one though it could be after 10 years of re-riding it, as well as my other favorites.  Also, a ride with a storied history that has influenced other rides and designers will be taken into account. 

10 GateKeeper Cool first hill inversion. This spot, I could easily put Space Mountain but really don't remember it too well, or Raptor, or Flight of Fear or Vortex for its history and I always loved it. Maverick was down when we went.  Adventure Express at night is pretty great.  Obviously I need to try more parks, and will this year.  

9 Racers Rode it nearly 30 times in a day when I was a teen.  Started the whole coaster trend and is the reason The Beast was built. Likely had something to do with the Ohio Player's song Love Roller Coaster, and definitely was in the Brady Bunch. Just a classic that I always enjoy myself on. The whole thing feels like Caddyshack or something.  If it had the backwards racer still, I would rank it higher. I LOVE the backwards racer. 

8 Diamondback  Great ride in back. Love the first 3 hills and its just a lot of fun over the tree line at the park.  

7 Magnum XL2000  Its history puts it ahead of Diamondback which I probably like a little better , but really like then both so whats the difference really?

6 Banshee Love the first drop and the whole thing.  A lot of coaster critics like to bag on this but IMO its the perfect counterpoint to Diamondback and soon Orion.

5 Son of Beast   RIP LOVED you!!!! 

4 Mystic Timbers: I freaking love this ride!  I would die if we added more woodies like this one as well.  Just a fantastic ride that leaves me wanting more and more. 

3 Millenium Force  Hoping Orion beats it or at least is as good. Thinking that is very very possible. 

2 Steel Vengeance: The Real deal. Pure fun and laughter and an unbelievable first drop. I am desperate for Kings Island to get one that beats Iron Gwazi and thus is one of best coasters in the world. Sorry I love throwing that out there!

1. The Beast: Great ride that has influenced all other wood coasters for the better for all of us. Has an awesomely vicious ride that focuses on speed.  Night Rides on this thing are so good that you can't believe it. I also think it has THE greatest line and station ever.  I love the double helix and the sheer violence of it. I love that it gets faster and faster and faster without trying to do a whole bunch of elements. A lot of these rides and the way Roller coaster critics come off is kinda like a gymnastics routine where you have to do all the elements.  I love RMCs and all these rides, but I love that The Beast just focuses on woods and speed and has been doing it before most coaster were even though of.  I LOVE this ride and always will. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is about your top 10, but I'd like to share only my top five since I'm not very good at ranking things. 

5. Banshee at Kings Island: Even though I got a pretty bad ride the last time I rode it, I still love this ride. It is extremely forceful and I love the feel of the inversions (espescaily that barrel roll at the end) 

4. Kumba at Busch Gardens Tampa: I love the roar this ride gives. I've never had a rough ride on it and the inversions and setting of this ride is wonderful. My only complaint is the lift hill. When ever I ride this coaster the sun always shines in my eyes all the way up the lift hill. 

3. Furry 325 at Carrowinds: This is the last B&M, I swear. This ride has a perfect balance of speed, momentum, and force. It has an awesome drop, interesting elements, and great airtime moments. The treble-clef element is amazing and I'm excited to see that Orion has one too. 

2. Maverick at Cedar Point: I see this ride get less attention now days because of Steel Vengeance, and that kind of saddens me. This ride is very well paced and very well laid out. The drop is amazing, but it's just the beginning. Twisting in between the man made rocks, that airtime hill that's parallel to the lake, the fast inversions, the awesome second launch into the helix over the manmade lake, all those things make Maverick a memorable and exhilarating ride. The funniest thing is, when I went to Cedar Point for the first time, I didn't know what the ride was called so I just called it Babby Millenium Force(cause it had a smaller drop then MF and had the same track design). But after ridding Maverick, I think the rode is more intense then MF. 

1. The Beast at Kings Island: God, where do I begin and where do I end when talking about this ride. For a ride thays mostly straight tracks and is trimmed to death, it is awsomely unique! I can understand the hate for this ride, because I've had dull slow feeling rides on this ride before. But that's the thing about The Beast. It's very tempermental. You can get a different experience every time you ride this ride. The ride changes depending on the time of day, the temperature, the weather, and what seat you sit in. A front row ride on The Beast has to be the most peaceful experience I've every experienced(you get a nice breeze and a brilliant view of the woods around you), while a ride in the later rows can feel wild and out of control like the ride is dragging you insanely through the layout. Not to mention the night ride or the ride while it's raining/after it gets done raining. I have so many stories from me and my family riding The Beast, like when I pointed at a rabbit I saw and my dad panicked cause "you're supposed to keep your arms and legs in the car" or when my niece was ridding the ride for the first time and her head kept knock into my elbow while I held her hand. She still  had a lot of fun and so did I. 

Anyway, that's my top five. It might change with the addition of Orion and with the more park's I go to. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, Fishleehooker said:

A lot of these rides and the way Roller coaster critics come off is kinda like a gymnastics routine where you have to do all the elements.  I love RMCs and all these rides, but I love that The Beast just focuses on woods and speed and has been doing it before most coaster were even thought of.  I LOVE this ride and always will. 

I think this is an awesome way to describe why so many people love The Beast so much! Well said! 

• Like 1

While I have already done a Top 10 on this topic, I have some updates since I had a decent amount of repeat visits to both Kings Island and Cedar Point last year. And thus there was some shuffling. I will keep my OG Top 10 post up for comparison purposes, but here is a slightly updated Top 10. I also won't go fully over my opinions of every coaster since that would be re-treading ground:

#10- Top Thrill Dragster (Cedar Point)

Didn't get to ride this on my visit to Cedar Point in 2019. It had way to long (and slow moving) of wait for my tastes on a packed Saturday, and then it broke down and never opened on Sunday...which is sadly typical of this ride. It still holds a Top 10 spot thanks to my 2017 and 2018 rides though. My first ride in 2017 remains a experience I will not soon forget.

#9- Banshee (Kings Island)

I had quite a few awesome rides on Banshee in 2019, which were enough to get the coaster past the likes of Mystic Timbers, Legend, and TTD and into my Top 10 for now. For the record, it was already lurking just outside my Top 10 when I made my 1st post here. This is a excellent ride with strong g-forces and huge fun inversions.

#8- Raptor (Cedar Point)

On the super-packed Saturday I went to Cedar Point in 2019, I waited 45 minutes for Raptor to re-open because everything had monster lines: Rougarou was 30 minutes when that ride is usually a walk-on, and GateKeeper was 2 HOURS. I am glad I did, because I ended up getting a crazy good ride with awesome G-Forces and epic snappiness, and it was very smooth for a ride that is over 25 years old now. I rode again on Sunday and it was still very good, if just a bit worse than it was running on Saturday. These epic rides were more than enough to get Raptor into my Top 10.

#7- Diamondback (Kings Island)

Got some great rides in 2019, but nothing really enough to move this one (in spite of the ride going crazy and giving super strong airtime on opening day 2019 somehow). Diamondback stays at #7.

#6- Magnum XL-200 (Cedar Point)

This ride was a savior on the super-crowded Saturday with its awesome capacity, though it still had a 40 minute wait due to the sheer number of people in line. Granted early and later in the day it became a walk-on, I rode 3 times total. I also rode a few times more on Sunday. I still adore this coaster's epic ejector air and awesome location, even if it is a bit rough.

#5- Millennium Force (Cedar Point)
Millie drops a spot: my rides in 2019 were very good, but I am really starting to notice how the ride does lack strong g-forces in the middle and the airtime is just meh when compared to even "regular" (aka not going insane like it did opening day 2019) Diamondback, much less Steel Vengeance or Magnum XL-200...save for that last bunny hop, which has pretty good airtime. The coaster does make up for this with a epic first drop and amazing speeds though, and it has a pretty good ride length to boot. However...

#4- The Beast (Kings Island)

On its 40th anniversary season, Beast moves up a spot. My reasoning for this: directly comparing MF and Beast, both start off very strong, and both have great sense of speed (MF for actually being fast, Beast for feeling out of control due to being wooden) and kinda "meh" middle parts...but while Millennium Force's bunny hop near the end is great, it follows that up with straight track and a kinda weak overbank. Beast ends with its legendary double helix. For having the far superior ending, I had to put Beast a spot higher.

#3- The Voyage (Holiday World)

I didn't ride Voyage in 2019, but my 2018 rides (including my first night ride) were so good they alone managed to keep Voyage safe in the Top 3. The ride is being re-tracked yet again for 2020, so it should ride even better this season for anyone who wants to go to Holiday World when this Cornavirus stuff finally ends.

#2- Maverick (Cedar Point)

I got a ride on Maverick when I went to Cedar Point in 2019, but had to wait until Sunday and it kept breaking down on Saturday and had way too long a line when it wasn't. But that Sunday morning ride was awesome. Maverick is a fantastic ride and I cannot recommend it enough.

#1- Steel Vengeance (Cedar Point)
No change here- only rode SV once this year due to its lines, and waited until the park was nearly closed on Saturday so Fast Lane would clear out and the line would move 2x faster. This strategy worked, as instead of waiting 3 hours for it, I only had to wait...75 minutes. Yeah still a big line. However for waiting 75 minutes, I still got boatloads of airtime and numerous crazy head choppers and inversions on the side. Still my #1 coaster.

And that is a updated version of my Top 10. :P Mystic Timbers and Legend fell out, not for any reason of their own but because the 2 B&M Inverts decided to barge in and there was no more room.

• Like 1

I've never had a top 10 due to the sheer enormous amount I've been on and it is always changing but have had a top 3. My top 3 have never changed as fast as my 10 or 20. They have been consistent since riding these.

1) Eejanaika - Fuji Q highland

I've never laughed and screamed so much throughout one coaster experience in my entire life (except one other which is my #2). These 4D coasters are pure madness from start to finish because they do and continue to be an experience no other coaster can replicate. It's one of the few that just leave you laughing at the end of it all because you just have no idea what the heck just happened. Eejanaika fixes all the issues X2 had and so much more into what is honestly the best rollercoaster in the whole world! Speaking of X2...

2) X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

For the same reasons I love Eejanaika the same I love X2. It left me in an absolute trance of adrenaline. While it stands in the shadow of it's better version in Japan it still to this day is my favorite coaster in the USA. For those of you that watch Coaster Studios I recommend watching his reviews and videos about these two rollercoasters because they in-depth go into many of the same ideas and discussions of why I love these coasters.

3) Lightning Rod

For the longest time I couldn't decide if I liked Lighting Rod or Steel Vengeance better. The way I found out was by going back to what I said at the completion of each ride experience. At the end of LR I felt it was the perfect length and duration for how powerful and intense a ride it was. At the end of SV I remember thinking how if the ride had ended at the mid course break I would have still been happy. Ultimately SV is a lot of intensity to take in for that long of a ride. Whereas Lighting Rod felt perfect, just the right amount of speed, length, time, and intensity for what it was leaving me time at the end of the ride to fully comprehend the experience. Unfortunately SV doesn't have the same effect at the end of it all.

Honorable mentions: Montu, Dododonpa, Ghost Rider, Top Thrill Dragster, The Voyage, Son of Beast

I have been to a good number of parks, but not a lot of the big ones so here is my current Top 5 coasters.  I'll be brief with the ones most people here have ridden, but go into a bit more detail with the ones that a good number of people here probably haven't ridden.

#5: Millenium Force (Cedar Point)

The first and currently only giga coaster I have ridden and what a fantastic ride.  I know it doesn't have crazy airtime or a ton of really forceful moments, but it is just so rerideable and that is one of my favorite things in a coaster.

#4: Mystic Timbers (Kings Island)

This is my favorite ride at Kings Island currently.  The Beast at night sure comes close and Diamondback is also great, but they just aren't as good IMO.  It feels so much faster than it actually is going and it takes it's elements at such a fast pace.

#3: Steel Vengeance (Cedar Point)

I've only gotten to ride SteVe a couple of times back in 2018, but those rides were amazing and I can't wait to get back to CP to ride it again in the future! Also, that outward bank turn is legendary.

#2: Iron Rattler (Six Flags Fiesta Texas)

This ride is definitely short, but it has two of the best moments on a roller coaster that I have experienced so far.  The first drop from the lift hill that curves will you fall is by far the best drop on a roller coaster I have experienced so far especially when you get flung out of your seat.  Also, the final drop off the quarry wall in the back row is probably my favorite moment of airtime I have ever experienced.  The interaction with the quarry wall really adds to the ride as well and POVs definitely don't do it justice.

#1: Eejanaika (Fuji Q Highland)

I, like @Captain Nemo, have been lucky enough to ride this roller coaster and It is by far my favorite roller coaster.  It was the first ride I got off of and thought "What in the world". It is so massive and fast and I felt forces on that ride that I didn't even know were possible.  The zero-g-roll is by far the best moment since your seats rotate in a different direction than the train does and it creates an insane feeling. Hopefully I will get over to SFMM to ride X2 and get a taste of a 4D coaster again someday. I really wish there was a ride like this on the East Coast of the US because not everyone can go to Japan and more people deserve to experience this ride.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...