Dive is the new Invert?

In the 90s, Inverts were the craze as nearly 20 were produced from 1992 to 1999. Now we're getting close to the 2020s and newer models have surfaced, one of which being the Dive Machine/Coaster. 

Dive Machines have been popping up around the world and have taken the GP by storm. With their popularity I think its safe to argue that Dive coasters are becoming the new invert.

Sooner or later I think we'll see different variations of the B&M Dive Machine such as 100ft multi-looping models similar to Gerstlauer and possibly even a giga dive, (if a park is willing to shell out the money.)

What are your thoughts? 

• Like 1

I'd agree, Inverts seem pretty saturated as are floorless/sitting models. I think we aren't going to see a giga dive anytime soon though as that might be too much of an investment for Six Flags and Cedar Point has one. One could possibly come to Carowinds. Would be pretty funny if KI got one though - you wanted a giga coaster? Have all the giga's you can handle!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 9:25 AM, Theoutdoorkid107 said:

Your onto something. I think we will see Dive Machines in many of Cedar Fair’s parks in the upcoming years. 

I've made it known that Dive Machines are my favorite style of coaster so I wouldn't be upset if more came our way. They're the perfect coaster for parks since they are GP eaters and they can fit in tight spaces.

Its a stretch but World's of Fun deserves something big. I also wouldn't be suprised if Carowinds or Great America received one in the distant future.

The next thing I would want to see them do is closer to 100ft and have it chock full of inversions like a true looping coaster. 

I would love for KI to get one but I don't see that happening anytime in the near or distant future; at least not until the amusement park world has become saturated with them.

• Like 2

Think it's a bit of a tug of war between them for which is the bigger go right now. Think wings can have good visual appeal when done right with the near misses. But could see dives overall becoming a real go to for many for the reasons SonofBaconaor stated. Being a more compact design if needed can make it fit into more places easily and possibly help keep costs down with less land clearing needed

I think flying coasters are slowly going the way of the stand up coaster at this point.  They're really not that comfortable regardless of who makes them.  Inverted, floorless and wing coasters pull off that sense of flight and unobstructed views and seating better.  

• Like 1

I had some kind of wild grand vision in my head that I should have tried to actually convey, but I can't really. A hybrid wing/ drop where the seats actually pivot as the come over the crest of the drop, so it's more like a drop ride through the dive was more what was in my head. Sounds like I'm in the process of developing a 100 million dollar coaster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I had some kind of wild grand vision in my head that I should have tried to actually convey, but I can't really. A hybrid wing/ drop where the seats actually pivot as the come over the crest of the drop, so it's more like a drop ride through the dive was more what was in my head. Sounds like I'm in the process of developing a 100 million dollar coaster. 

Arrow beat you to it. Bankrupted them too. Google X2.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

After being at Knott's are riding their Gerstlauer, Hang Time, I would be fine getting one of those on a grander scale. If they could hit the 200ft mark with 7 inversions that would be a great replacement for Vortex.

Bonus: the light package on this ride is awesome.

As long as its the same capacity as Vortex I'll be fine with that

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

As long as its the same capacity as Vortex I'll be fine with that

Using the webcams last year, on a day I was bored, I actually was estimating each coaster's capacity I could see. Vortex was pulling around 1000pph which was pretty good capacity.

Here were my results. I watched each coaster run at least 5 cycles, and then used the best 3 cycles as an average (giving mulligans for walks of shame and stuff), and I got these numbers.

Vortex: 1,029pph

Diamondback: 1,314pph

BLSC: 712pph

Mystic Timbers: 949pph

The Racer: 800pph per side (1,600pph both sides)

These were estimated using the Mystic Timbers, Diamondback, and Orion Construction cams. I also looked at some Cedar Point cams to see how they compared:

Valravn: 1,037pph

Millennium Force: 935pph (oof- a bit bad for such a popular ride, Orion will smash this)

Maverick: 858pph

Iron Dragon: 933pph

Steel Vengeance: 642pph (Worse than BLSC- no wonder it always has 2+ hour waits!)

Gemini: 848pph per side (1,696pph if both sides running)

I also could have done Rougarou but I got tired before I got to it and forgot. :P:P I no longer have exact numbers but remember doing this once for The Beast too, it got about 900-1000pph and Banshee pulled 1400-1500 (I expect Orion will be about the same as Banshee given the 4-across seating and train sizes are the same).

• Like 3