New CoasterDynamix Beast display

BoddaH1994

5 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

I did always wonder what The Beast would be like with Arrow track and a Ron Toomer inspired layout.

I was also thinking it looked a lot like Adventure Express. This model wasn’t working, but it clearly had a motor on it also I assume it’s just not on. If the kits are reasonably priced I’ll buy one. Why not?

2 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

They said in the comments on their Facebook post about it that it would take 50 of the “Beast” sets to build the one on display. Apparently the number of bents included were the limiting factor on that. 

The sign should have said, “Yours for only $2,249.50!”

They should sell a simpler and cheaper kit with just the track, track supports, cars and directions.

My children already own 80 million legos. Not like I need more of a ripoff version of those.

$45- ripoff land

$20 for the simpler kit - I might go for.

13 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

They should sell a simpler and cheaper kit with just the track, track supports, cars and directions.

The set they sell is what you described - it's just track, track supports, cars, and directions. It doesn't include a motor, which would bump the cost up. In my opinion the price is also comparable to the Lego coasters, only with a lot more versatility. Instead of only 3 or 4 track pieces you have to assemble Roller Coaster Tycoon style, CoasterDynamix gives you a lot more control with their track system.

Regarding CoasterDynamix in general, I'd recommend anyone interested in their Lego-style coasters to watch their Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/coasterdynamix/). Sometimes they have a "Scratch and dent" sale, where they almost half the cost of the Cyclone model (https://www.coasterdynamix.com/collections/cdx-blocks/products/lego-compatible-cyclone-roller-coaster) just because the box has minor wear and tear.

The set they sell is what you described - it's just track, track supports, cars, and directions. It doesn't include a motor, which would bump the cost up. In my opinion the price is also comparable to the Lego coasters, only with a lot more versatility. Instead of only 3 or 4 track pieces you have to assemble Roller Coaster Tycoon style, CoasterDynamix gives you a lot more control with their track system.

That makes it even worse. Because it’s no longer just not a “no” it’s now a “H*ll No!” Talk about overpriced crap.
  • Like 1

As an avid LEGO fan, (and these are not LEGOs, but are apparently compatible with them), I can attest to the fact that LEGO`s are not cheap.  

I have the Disney World Castle Lego set (https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/The-Disney-Castle-71040).  And yes, I did spend that much money on it.  I finished it right before my son was born in December 2016 and it now is on display in my basement. It took me an entire weekend to assemble.

Very unique model of The Beast. I saw those sets (of course without "Beast" branding on the box) at Cedar Point last season. 

My only complaint is the same one I usually have with CoasterDynamix products and that's the price. Another example of something that they're charging too much for. The nano-coasters are also fairly overpriced at $30 apiece. For the nano-coasters I could see paying $20, but $30 is a bit ridiculous. There is a reason why CoasterDynamix products generally don't appear to leave the shelves very quickly.... 

• Like 1

As an avid LEGO fan, (and these are not LEGOs, but are apparently compatible with them), I can attest to the fact that LEGO`s are not cheap.  
I have the Disney World Castle Lego set (https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/The-Disney-Castle-71040).  And yes, I did spend that much money on it.  I finished it right before my son was born in December 2016 and it now is on display in my basement. It took me an entire weekend to assemble.

The difference here is the the “quality” part. Legos are quality items and there’s a huge amount of engineering that goes into each one.

I love the Technic series because of what they do. Always have since I was a teenager, so if I’m building something, it’s usually one of those. I have spent entire weekends, building powered tow trucks that have the electric motors as well as the pneumatic systems onboard.

^Have you tried the CoasterDynamix models? I haven't had any issues with their quality compared to Lego, even when disassembling and reassembling the same sets.

It’s a cost vs quality thing. If I am going to spend $45, I expect more quality than what is shown. It has nothing to do with the individual parts, it has to do with the overall set.

I agree that Legos are equally as expensive - if not more.

My only issue is that they have this giant Beast mock-up but the actual product they’re selling is tantamount to the Great Pumpkin Coaster. I was ready to spend real money for The Beast model, but 2 grand? 

Oh well, if it sells it sells.

• Like 1

My son and I are working on a 4x8 LEGO city in our basement. It’s not much to see at the moment as we had some expensive car repairs and just moved into a new house. I believe we have about $400 invested so far with a lot of plans to grow the city. Once I get home I’ll post some pictures. 

• Like 3

You can buy this coaster model on Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BF3F6M2/

Spoiler: The layout is exactly the same...and it's $15 cheaper.  

There does not appear to be any Kings Island or Beast labeling on the model itself, so you are paying $15 extra for a different color and a cardboard box that says "Beast" on it.

5 hours ago, TheBEASTunchained said:

There is a reason why CoasterDynamix products generally don't appear to leave the shelves very quickly.... 

I work at Emporium. While I don't have the sales figures, based off my experience we sell a lot more of these than you would think.

• Like 2