What is the "best" seat on The Bat?

MDMC01

As some of you know, The Bat (1993, fka Top gun/Flight Deck) is my favorite coaster at Kings Island and as of 5/19/2019, I've ridden it over 200* times. However, during my 7-ride marathon today I wondered what the "best" seat was? What I mean by this is what was the seat that the ride was designed around? For example, the "best" seat on Vortex is 5-1 as the ride was apparently designed around that particular set of seats. I actually rode in 5-1 (left side) twice and while it gave a great ride, I wanted to know definitively, if anyone on here knows. So, anyone know what seat The Bat (or maybe even Arrow Suspended coasters in general) was (were) designed around?  

*I've probably ridden it a ton more as I've only started counting my rides since 2010.

I don't know that I've ever heard of Arrow's suspended coasters being designed around a particular row. The loopers, yes--it's 5-1. With very few exceptions, 5-1 is great on their loopers. I don't typically get super excited about Arrow looping coasters, but 5-1 on Loch Ness Monster is one of my favorite things to ride. I've always heard the 5-1 thing associated with Ron Toomer, but I don't know Arrow's history well enough to know if he designed all of their rides, if he applied that to every ride he did, etc.

That being said, The Bat is much swingier in the first car. The last car has airtime on the first drop, and you'll get whipped around the turn over the lift hill. The rest of the ride is kind of the same regardless of row, except when you swing up into the brakes, your car won't swing as much if you're in the back. In the front, you'll feel like you nearly reach 90 degrees (although I don't think it's actually that extreme.)

I personally find the swinging aspect to be more fun than the forcefulness of the last row. Your mileage may vary depending on what you prefer. It's a fun and underrated ride regardless.

• Like 7

Great feedback, everyone! I personally like the very front seat, but 5-1 was nice when I rode it Sunday and the back is always insane (in a good way). Re: most Arrow loopers being designed around 5-1, I’ll have to try Corkscrew in that row and see if my ride experience improves! :lol:

-MDMC, who literally fell into his seat while boarding Corkscrew last time he was at The Point.

EDIT: 2-1 is also not a bad seat on The Bat.

• Like 2

Question about identifying the seats you are talking about:  When you say seat 5-1, are you meaning the seat that is the fifth row back, and on the left side of the train?  So if you wanted that seat you would go to the fifth queue lane and sit in the farthest seat from you when you get onto the ride?

I'm a 3-1 guy on The Bat.

On Vortex, I was once a 5-1 guy but now it's 7-1 or nothing. That pop of airtime on the first drop is unlike anything you'll find on any other coaster. When I first got into roller coasters, I had to have 1-1 on everything. Now I can't even tell you how long it's been since I rode 1-1 on Vortex. Probably a few years. Maybe I should give it a go again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, homestar92 said:

I'm a 3-1 guy on The Bat.

On Vortex, I was once a 5-1 guy but now it's 7-1 or nothing. That pop of airtime on the first drop is unlike anything you'll find on any other coaster. When I first got into roller coasters, I had to have 1-1 on everything. Now I can't even tell you how long it's been since I rode 1-1 on Vortex. Probably a few years. Maybe I should give it a go again.

Another 7-1 truther! It truly does provide the best airtime moment in the entire park.

1 hour ago, homestar92 said:

^ Best in the park? I think it's the best in the state, and I'm a guy who adores Magnum's bunny hills!

Magnum's bunny hills in the magic seat and Maverick's first drop in the back are better than Vortex's imo

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Interesting answer. Why second to last?

The ride is good for the whip/strong pull sensation in the back. If you take the front of the car you have more leg room. So second to last row every time for me 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

First off, thanks for bumping this, whoever did. I totally forgot I made this lol!

Also, in response to myself:

On 5/20/2019 at 8:39 PM, MDMC01 said:

Great feedback, everyone! I personally like the very front seat, but 5-1 was nice when I rode it Sunday and the back is always insane (in a good way). Re: most Arrow loopers being designed around 5-1, I’ll have to try Corkscrew in that row and see if my ride experience improves! :lol:

-MDMC, who literally fell into his seat while boarding Corkscrew last time he was at The Point.

EDIT: 2-1 is also not a bad seat on The Bat.

Yes, Corkscrew's ride experience improves in 5-1. Yes, it's still a bit wonky due to the curvature of the seat (IIRC), but it makes the ride decent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Very front because of the view and also that last big swing before it hits hard into the brakes feels like you're about to slam into one of the support beams. Get's me every time. And the very back row because of the bigger feeling of speed. 

This ride is so deserving of much more praise. It's such a powerhouse of a little coaster.

• Like 3