Future of Planet Snoopy

Phantom Theater

I tried to find a relevant Planet Snoopy topic to discuss this in but couldn't find anything. Thought I'd start a new topic on it.

So next year will mark ten years since the retheme of Nick U to Planet Snoopy. The last major expansion of the area was in 2005/2006 when Nick Central became Nick Universe. I recall them recently (2017?) removing the water-walkthrough attraction and replacing it with the flyers. I can't remember if anything else has been added since 2010.

With Carowinds upgrading to Camp Snoopy in 2018, do you believe Camp Snoopy will come to KI? Currently Knotts, CP and Carowinds have Camp Snoopy. I've read that KI has the best kids area, but I think it's due for something new sometime soon.

If you do believe Camp Snoopy will come to KI, what do you predict they will add? I'd love to see something done with Boo Blasters. Anything really, retheme it to snoopy, clean it up, SOMETHING. Maybe a couple new rides, possibly to replace some of the older ones? A playground of some sort like Camp Jurassic at Islands of Adventure would be cool. General sprucing up of the area.

I second sprucing up Boo Blasters. I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t ridden it in the last 5 years but I rode it again a couple weeks ago and felt like it wasn’t what it used to be. 

I did also however put up a score of 1380 making me a “Master Blaster” no big deal. Beat the absolute tar out of my sister’s score XD

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DBInternational said:

I second sprucing up Boo Blasters. I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t ridden it in the last 5 years but I rode it again a couple weeks ago and felt like it wasn’t what it used to be. 

I did also however put up a score of 1380 making me a “Master Blaster” no big deal. Beat the absolute tar out of my sister’s score XD

It’s actually pretty impressive how long Boo blasters has lasted. It’s funny that it was rethemed every ten years, but this is going on sixteen. Unless you count what I’d call a de-theme to boo blasters as a re-theme of the ride. 

In terms of making it "Camp Snoopy", they COULD do it but there would have to be significant additions to make it worth it. 

I personally like it how it is but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be updated. Boo Blasters needs to be redone. Also I always thought they should get a GG or GCI kids woodie where the petting zoo is.

Just now, BeeastFarmer said:

Boo Blasters on Boo Hill is not part of Planet Snoopy. It is considered a part of International Street.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I mean, technically speaking, but it’s a kids ride in the kids section of the park. Can we just agree it’s part of Planet Snoopy? Lol. 

• Like 4

I think that a retheme to Camp Snoopy would be great.  If you look at the area at Carowinds, it is well landscaped and is well themed.  I think the camping, rustic theme would be a much better transition to Rivertown than what is there currently.

As far as rides, I would move the Eagles over to either Coney Mall or X-base.  In its place, I would add the teacups that several other Camp/Planet Snoopys have.  I would also add a couple other family flats like Peanuts Pirates at Carowinds.  Maybe even a Ferris Wheel would work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

It’s actually pretty impressive how long Boo blasters has lasted. It’s funny that it was rethemed every ten years, but this is going on sixteen. Unless you count what I’d call a de-theme to boo blasters as a re-theme of the ride. 

Your right, Scooby Doo is already a character people recognize, not to mention that the rides main gimmick is blasting ghost. So with no Scooby, no familiar music, and also zero sound effects or functionality, Boo Blasters has run its course. It’s time for a new ride I think. 

• Like 3

Planet Snoopy, spent a lot of time there the last 8 years, and with the youngest currently 3, I reckon I'll spend a good amount of time there for at least another 2-5 years (2 if he's like his brother and riding The Beast, Vortex, etc.. by the time he's 5, 5 years if he's like his sister who just turned 7 and still won't ride The Racers, stunt coaster or even FAAC)

Getting ride of the water course thing that used to be the slime thing was the greatest move they've made to that area in a while.  That they let young kid enter the attraction on one side, and exit on the other in an area where their parents couldn't see them exit, nor get around the attraction quick enough to meet them at the exit was always incredibly stupid.  Whirly Birds and the space buggies were a great add.

5 year plan (after next year's coaster I'd take PS on a 5 year improvement plan in small stages)

Year 1, general cleanup and give Boo Blasters a lot of love.  Generally speaking, I still think the idea and function of Boo Blasters is a great idea, kids love it and parents and grandparents and toddlers can all enjoy.  However, as EVERYONE says it needs a lot of love.  Half the guns don't work, some add points every time you click no matter if you are aiming or not (I think my daughter got like a bijillion points earlier this eyar, good for her, but poor maintenance).  Seriously just a decent refurb, get the props working in the que like they used to, get all the props and some new ones on the ride working, get the guns all working and calibrated and that would be enough.  Add enough small things to make it exciting for new riders, but fixing the guns and sprucing it up can get the ride another 10 years of life easy, and then keep the guns calibrated for the rest of the ride.  0 reason so many guns should be failing 1 or 2 weeks into the season.

Season 2, repaint Woodstock express and rename it "The Beastie"  Yes I know that is not the original name.  Clean up Woodstock Whirly Birds.  I hate them, thankfully it was rarely on the "to do" list of my oldest son when he was young, but they are popular.  Smells like a sweaty sock any time you get in one, add some more ventilation and clean those birds up.

Season 3, year off for a relatively minor (compared to a Giga coaster) install in other areas of the park.

Season 4, get ride of the show place and petting zoo, add in some sort of sit down restaurant back in that area that focuses on kid fun fare.  A sit down would also free up the lines and items they could sell at the snoopy snack shop.  (put the kitchen in/near where the cotton candy building is at to minimize the plumbing work).  Announce the last rides on the small train thing they have back there.

Season 5, in the left over space b/w the theater/stage, petting zoo and train install a new 44"-46" tweener coaster to serve that market that is too "big" for Planet Snoopy but not quite big enough (or brave enough) for The Beast, Racers, etc...  Something on par with fire chaser express would be awesome, or a good wild mouse.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, silver2005 said:

The pedantics can self-rationalize it all they want.  To me, Boo Blasters is in Planet Snoopy. 

Didn't that "move" to I-Street happen more recently anyway? Enchanted Voyage, Smurfs, Phantom Theater, and Scooby Doo's Haunted Castle were all considered part of the children's area and the average guest probably sees it as such because it is clearly a family ride and the building itself (that also holds the room with Peanuts shows and The Great Pumpkin Coaster) is in Planet Snoopy. I don't see what would stop the park from "moving" it back.

^ I could be making this up, but I feel like I remember someone around here saying that the "move" happened for Scooby? Something about IPs not being able to coexist in the kids' area legally, so they avoided that by making SDatHC part of International Street. I feel like that was a fairly recent post, but like I said, I could be wrong.

• Like 2

As far as Boo Blasters:

Historically, I have noticed on the maps where the paths are colored what area it is, BB (or just the building in general) seems to float back and forth between the kids area and I.S.

Also, I think that BB should not be re-themed with P.S. Kings Island needs some sort of haunted house and the E.V. building is a perfect home for it. But I do agree that it probably needs new anamatronics (not sure if i spelled that right) and equipment as such.

1 hour ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

^ I could be making this up, but I feel like I remember someone around here saying that the "move" happened for Scooby? Something about IPs not being able to coexist in the kids' area legally, so they avoided that by making SDatHC part of International Street. I feel like that was a fairly recent post, but like I said, I could be wrong.

Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle was part of Hanna-Barbera Land from 2003-2005. When Hanna-Barbera Land became Nickelodeon Universe in 2006, SDATHC moved to International Street. SDATHC and now Boo Blasters have been on International Street ever since (despite the fact that the entrance faces into the children's area and the associates wear children's area uniforms)

Well, when the entrance to the ride is off of international street, we will call it a part of I-street lol. 

Anyways. I would like to see a new junior coaster like someone pointed out earlier. I only bring this up because the kids area was always growing and changing, but recently that growth has stagnated. 

It may not be too important to us enthusiasts, but Hanna-Barbers and Nick Central is where I got my start! I was always so excited to go and ride beastie and reptar. They’re still there but I think kids also deserve something new and exciting. 

2 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I believe that was @Creed Bratton who posted that information.

^Bodda.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:50 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

When Hanna Barbera went the way of Geauga Lake from Kings Island, they still had Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle - which operated on a different license from the Sally Dark Ride Corporation.  The problem was, Scooby couldn't exist in the same "universe" as Nickelodeon, so the compromise they were able to come up with was to say that it was on I-Street.  That just hasn't really changed.

• Thanks 1

I still see no reason why the park couldn't "move" it back to Planet Snoopy in the future. Although I'd like to see Phantom Theater return, I imagine that if theywere to re-theme Boo Blasters, they would want to keep the interactive part, right? Or do you think unreliability* of the blasters would eventually mean their removal? 

*I've only been on the ride twice since Phantom Theater left and it has been years since I've ridden it, so I can't really comment on how it has been kept up. 

This is one of those things where I disregard what the park is telling me and use evidence based on what I physically see.  If I were to describe what section of the park I'm in when calling someone for a meet up at Boo Blasters, I would describe myself as being in Planet Snoopy, thus, to me, that building has always been in Planet Snoopy (or insert kids area name here).  

I do think Planet Snoopy is due for some new attractions of some sort.  I'd personally like to see some more family based rides there, not just rides for smaller kids.  The park could use more rides that bridge the gap between the kids section and the bigger rides.  

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:20 PM, silver2005 said:

The park could use more rides that bridge the gap between the kids section and the bigger rides.  

As someone who spends at least half if not more of my visits to the park with my two young kids, I couldn't possibly agree with this more.

• Like 1

Well, some more smaller flats like the likes of Monster, Scrambler, and Zephyr would be nice, especially in Rivertown and between Backlot and Diamondback. 

Coaster wise and in terms of manufactures, Mack, Maurer Sohne, Zierer and Gerstlauer come to mind.  A spinning coaster would be pretty cool as long as it isn't a model that spins super fast.  I particularly enjoyed Laff Trakk at HP and Steel Dragon at Waldameer which are both Maurers.  A long, relaxing coaster like Knott's Jaguar (Zierer) would be a nice fit.  Maybe something more elaborate like a FireChaser Express type ride (Gerstlauer).   I'm hesitant to say a wild mouse because I'm not a fan of how Cedar Fair operates their wild mice, making them stop in the station and over-braking them (at least going by Dorney's).  A Mack water coaster would also be cool as a Congo Falls replacement. 

If I had my way, Planet Snoopy would return to Nickelodeon Universe, but I understand that won't happen. I say they could add a camp snoopy, but I think they could take out the current petting zoo/former theatre and make a new camp snoopy and leave the current Planet Snoopy the way it is. I'd also like to see the water thing return in the future. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I want the park to remove Backlot at some point and make that entire area a new section of the park with those kinds of gap rides.  I think that particular spot of land has a ton of potential if Backlot is out of the picture. 

Totally agree! There is a ton of land where backlot sits that is unused. The empty area behind the showplace could be used as well. 

40 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I want the park to remove Backlot at some point and make that entire area a new section of the park with those kinds of gap rides.  I think that particular spot of land has a ton of potential if Backlot is out of the picture. 

I agree with you, but I don't think the park has any plans removing BLSC unless it's reliability goes down enough to justify its removal.