Grand Carnivale food tasting card

BoddaH1994

Gochujang is Korean, not Chinese. But 99% of American palettes probably can't tolerate traditional Chinese since it's extremely spicy and often numbing, at least from the Sichuan Provence. People think the numb inducing spices means something is wrong with the food. At least the one Chinese dish is dim sum. 

Hopefully it goes well, I'm a bit disappointed but I'm also a huge foodie so all of these dishes are hardly international sampling for me. But for the everyday person they might find it much more adventurous.

8 hours ago, TheRickster said:

Gochujang is Korean, not Chinese. But 99% of American palettes probably can't tolerate traditional Chinese since it's extremely spicy and often numbing, at least from the Sichuan Provence. People think the numb inducing spices means something is wrong with the food. At least the one Chinese dish is dim sum. 

Hopefully it goes well, I'm a bit disappointed but I'm also a huge foodie so all of these dishes are hardly international sampling for me. But for the everyday person they might find it much more adventurous.

I imagine that some of the food would be “Americanized” to an extent. From what I’ve heard they are taking the food accuracy pretty seriously, so we will have to see. 

15 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

You can purchase a food tasting card for Grand Carnivale to sample up to 6 items from various countries.  

To purchase the food tasting card and see the vast menu options, click below:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/tickets-passes/drinks-dining

I notice a severe lack of wings that have a little kick to them. 

Will not be attending. 

Looks like one pass is good for six items during the duration of the Carnivale. At first I thought it was only good for one day/six items. Can’t imagine eating that many items in one day... mixing all those combinations could end up creating a protein spill... :blink:

9 hours ago, malem said:

^ If the portions are similar to Frontier Festival/Beer & BBQ at Cedar Point, it will take at least a few tastings to make a full meal.

If not for dining plans, I could see myself using a tasting card in one visit.

The Frontier Festival portions at CP this year were very small snack size and if these are similar in portion size, it will take all six samples to make a normal meal.

2 hours ago, upstop said:

Do you have to buy the plan in order to participate, or can you buy individual portions? Although it might be cheaper to buy the six portion deal.

I’m not certain, but I’d be surprised if you couldn’t purchase individual items.

• Like 2

I am still trying to figure this out:  The IR will be open.  The blog post discusses this, but the photo presented highlights the food that is part of the tasting card program.  So, is the IR having the same food in a buffet format?  Or is it completely different food?  If it is the same food, it definitely a better value because you can try all 12 selections in a buffet format vs having to buy two punch cards to try all 12.  Anybody here know the answer?

• Like 1

Yes the portions were the same. The samples were plenty. I spread them out over 5 hours and I was stuffed. I had 2 cannolis, meatball sandwich, bin bao sandwich, crepe Monsieur, and mett wurst and sauerkraut with onion sandwich.  I’m hoping that the event expands throughout the park next year with even more countries.

• Like 1

I bought the food tasting card on Tuesday.  My thoughts:  Tandoori Chicken Tacos:  Very small, bland and the chicken was cold.  I was warned that it was spicy.  Bier Katze Spatzle:  Nice portion size, well presented.  However, it was dry and had a weird metallic taste/tastes the like smell in grandma's cellar taste.  I think it was the dried onions.  Mamma's Meatballs:  Good taste, served nice and hot.  However, it was just about like getting a meatball sub at Subway except smaller than a 6".  All 4 of the employees were Cedar Fair SUPERVISORS (as evidenced by the shirts that boost egos) and, even though there was only one customer ahead of me, it still took 30 minutes to get this.  I didn't mind because it was raining.  But literally, they had the bread, they had plenty of meatballs in the pan and the sauce.  It literally took 30 minutes for 5 Cedar Fair SUPERVISORS to put together a meatball sub that should take 30 seconds.  ;)  The Crepe Monsieur was tasty and huge!  However, the crepe stuck to the wrapping paper it was served in, which made it hard to eat.  Profiteroles:  Very good.  Banana Baji:  Very good taste, but weird preparation.  I guess they are frozen bananas dipped in batter, then deep fried.  The batter was burned, but the banana was still partially frozen.  

This may come off as a totally negative review, but it's not really.  I am glad I paid for the card and may try again.  This was a very slow day (the parade was canceled because of the storm).  It is nice to see the park offering this experience and I hope it continues.  If you have the $30 to spend, go for it.  I just hope that if you try Momma's Meatballs, and the stand is staffed by Cedar Fair SUPERVISORS, they serve you a little quicker.  :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While it's a good deal there wasn't 6 things I wanted to try so last night just got the ones I did seperately ($6.99 each but 10% off w gold pass). Loved the China- Szechuan Beef Bao. The India- Chicken Tandoori Taco was good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk