Drop Tower was struck by Lightning!

KI Master

12 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Will the giga probably be struck by lightning? I'm guessing they need to add a lightning rod to the tall rides! 

I assume that they likely have each of the tall rides properly grounded as to take the strike to the ground as opposed to through the electronics on the ride. Ya know what happens when you assume things though.... :blink:

• Like 1

Follow the clues...Flashing light on top not working....  No ride ops at ride... Maintenance working on it Sunday and would sound like the catch car was moving but didn't and stayed at top... WindSeeker running and that is the temperamental weather ride...I guess you could say Drop was down for weather...as in it was hit by lightning...

But yes many of the rides are designed to be able to take a lightning strike but it doesn't mean that something still isn't knocked out in certain events.

And sometimes someone gets lucky and catches the strike on video...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Follow the clues...Flashing light on top not working....  No ride ops at ride... Maintenance working on it Sunday and would sound like the catch car was moving but didn't and stayed at top... WindSeeker running and that is the temperamental weather ride...I guess you could say Drop was down for weather...as in it was hit by lightning...

But yes many of the rides are designed to be able to take a lightning strike but it doesn't mean that something still isn't knocked out in certain events.

And sometimes someone gets lucky and catches the strike on video...

I’d been to the park the past few days but only in the evening to see the parade get cancelled.  Yeah, I think based on what you’re telling me that the lightening might have done some damage.

Crazy video! Which day was that??

41 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Appears to have been July 26, 2014. 

I see that now. Embedded version didn’t seem to have the full title. The way the tower was lit up it looked like Grand Carnivale colors so I assumed it was this week.  I was actually there when it happened. I was taking shelter in the “lobby” area of the front of the Festhaus. It was so loud that I thought the Festhaus had been struck.

35 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I see that now. Embedded version didn’t seem to have the full title. The way the tower was lit up it looked like Grand Carnivale colors so I assumed it was this week.  I was actually there when it happened. I was taking shelter in the “lobby” area of the front of the Festhaus. It was so loud that I thought the Festhaus had been struck.

Did you get LaRosa's though?

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It was one of the loudest “booms” I’ve ever heard. 

• Like 1

They opened it Saturday probably mid day I believe it was. The line was full most of the day. I went by it at about 9:45 and the line was short ish, so I went and got in line to ride it so I could go up in the air and see the park lights. Well.... I don't typically ride the Drop Tower... and had forgotten how bleedingly long the loading and unloading process takes. I gave up.