Favorite Ohio Amusement Park

Darren Mullins

Does anybody here remember Americana? That was my first park. I went when I was four or five, and dont remember anything except riding a coaster that is probably similar to Top Cat's Taxi Jam. It had me paranoid of coasters till a month ago! Now I love em. But Americana is closed. Im not sure if its gone or if the park is just SBNO though.

Its a shame to see an entire park SBNO. I was looking at the unofficial website for the park, and it says that there are even some rides that were under construction when the park closed permanetly. You said it closed because of management and financial issues? PKI probably had a lot to do with that didn't it? Although Americana was a lot older than PKI.

I chose Cedar Point as my favorite: they just have one of the best steel coaster collections anywhere, and definitely the best in Ohio!

PKI is a close second because of its wood and flats (and staff), and being my home park.

Geauga Lake is a close third with a good combination of wood and steel.

As to LeSourdsville/Americana - I highly doubt it was PKI that did them in. Several different smaller attractions (like Coney Island, Beach Waterpark, Stricker's, etc.) continue to do good business despite PKI, because they are great, lower-cost, more relaxed, and smaller alternatives.

IMO, Lesourdsville became its own enemy. A lack of good new attractions, as well as poor management, martketing all combined to keep people away. I think that if they adopted PKI's strategy (albeit on a smaller scale), they may have succeeded.

Not to mention an owner who doesn't really know what he's doing...

Cedar Point is the best and it is besides just coasters..

There park is a lot cleaner and there midways are big so they can handle big crowds. The landscaping there is beautiful and Pki has some beautiful landscape stuff also but not enough. CP has a better variety of rides and coasters and the coasters are better on capacity. There coasters are a lot smoothere also.

Pki is a great park dont get me wrong I love it to death but CP beats it in a lot of little ways. But our EMPLOYEES ARE BETTER smile.gif

Here's my take. I've been to PKI and Cedar Point. Cedar Point has a lot of flats, a lot of good small flats. I think PKI would benefit in some of the flat CP has. Such as the Witches Wheel(I'm aware we had one) or a Chaos or something of the sort. However, we have winners on our hands with our kids areas and Delirium. Our steel does not even compare to theirs, but our wood beats theirs ass. It just all depends on what you want. Both are awesome parks though. Our employees are defintiely better, I saw a lot of safety hazards while I was there.

We had some problems at Cedar Point with the employees. They were really rude to us, especially at Raptor. The guy was literly pushing people including two people from our group. Dragster and Milliennum crews were nice, and was actually guest relating like no other.

It's PKI all the way!

"We had some problems at Cedar Point with the employees."

I've heard this on more than one ocassion this year. It seems that their egos are getting too big. Apparently, the employees are starting to believe the hype that they are some of the best and it has gone straight to their heads.

And, I agree with teenageninja that PKI needs some cool smaller flats like Chaos at CP. This is one of the better flats out there IMO. I love getting the tubs to flip, it's so easy to do.

Does anybody here remember Americana? That was my first park. I went when I was four or five, and dont remember anything except riding a coaster that is probably similar to Top Cat's Taxi Jam. It had me paranoid of coasters till a month ago! Now I love em. But Americana is closed. Im not sure if its gone or if the park is just SBNO though.

An enthusiast group had a meeting about how they could help Americana reopen earlier in the summer. I e-mailed them and said that they were more than welcome to utilize PKIC to get to a lot of you people (as Pat said, childhood memories etc). Anyway, they wrote me back and said that they didn't intend to have a second meeting because it was likely that the park would be purchased by a businessman who had an interest in the traditional family amusement park, and they fully intended to reopen as soon as they could.

Never heard from them again, and the park remains SBNO... I guess he didn't buy. mad.gif