HUGE announcement from BGW!

It's really interesting to see how two parks that have coexisted next to each other for so long (KD and BGW) are really about to start competing. Between MMXX, KD's new water park addition, Volcano's replacement, and BGW's Project 2021, things are getting interesting over here in VA...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Yeah they are installing one in Europe and I was watching  a video. I think they called it a rapid transfer track. It flips over the second the train is past it. I'll try and find the video.

I watched a similar video a while ago too, and it looks really cool! I will leave a link to the one I watched below, and they start talking about the switch track at 1:30.

• Like 1

I saw the layout online and it looks really short. Also, I don't know how to feel about a triple-launch element on a full-circuit coaster (not just on this coaster, but I've seen videos of other triple-launch coasters on YouTube; the whole backwards launch thing turned me off when I saw POV's of Full Throttle) as I feel like one launch should be enough. However, I do think the JoJo roll out of where the station appears to be is unique and that fact that Intamin is coming back to the States is good; though I'm not the biggest fan of this coaster at the moment, I hope Intamin hits this one out of the park so they can redeem themselves and start building more coasters in the US again.

That being said, I've never been to BGW, and I'd love to ride Apollo's Chariot, Griffin, Alpengeist, and even Tempesto* someday.

*Yes, I know Tempesto has a triple launch, but it's different- it's a compact coaster that functions more like a full-circuit version of a shuttle coaster, if that makes sense. It's just the large scale triple-launch coasters that I'm not a fan of.

EDIT: They kinda already have a launch coaster (and a triple-launch coaster) in Verbolten and Tempesto. That being said, I hope it does well!

Looks like this prediction got it right on the money, including little track flourishes like outward-banked turns.

Having seen that, I don't think this looks short at all. As a matter of fact, I'd say it looks spectacular. Clocking in a 90 seconds from first action to last, it seems like one of the longer thrill coasters out there. Definitely a great fit for Busch Gardens, especially considering we're likely to at LEAST be diving around ancient Roman ruins and statues if not more. The first inversion coming out of a mild launch, a 72 mph launch while cresting an airtime hill, the ride's big moment (the 95-degree river dive) happening halfway through, the upside down return to the river, the tilted airtime hills... Not to mention the quick-switch track, which Intamin also used on Universal's new Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure and earns stunned response from riders.

I've always been a proponent of Busch Gardens' "quality over quantity" and argue that each of its 7 (soon to be 8!) coasters is the best of its type. Verbolten, Invadr, Tempesto, Griffon, Apollo, Alpengeist, Pantheon, Loch Ness... For me, I'd rather ride Busch Gardens' 7 coasters than all 17 at Cedar Point. Each feels custom made and custom themed for the park's landscape and stories. 

And frankly, I'd rather ride this than an out-and-back B&M giga of big swooping airtime hills. While I adore Kings Island and I'm excited for what's coming, this is the sort of ride that feels like an event! It has personality and surprises and unexpected manuevers.  in other words, the kind of customized, unique, and tailor-made ride Kings Island could admittedly use more of, like Mystic Timbers! Congrats to Busch Gardens! 

• Like 4

pantheon-diagram.ashx?version=1_20190730

Looks like the rendering is pretty much exactly accurate. Which is great! I was worried some of those banks and turns were just conjecture, but the layout has them as depicted by the ride envelope. Which is good to know, because some of those track sections that look like straightaways are actually really dynamic moments. 

• Like 1

Ok, so that video changed my mind just a tiny bit... first off, I didn't realize how tall the top hat-like hill is and second, I like those RMC manuvers; especially the one where it starts as an outer banked turn/hill thing and then it "becomes" the same banking as the hill/turn thing (it's hard to explain, but the element is around 1:12, the first "hill" after the large drop- also the hangtime inversion in the middle of the course is cool as well). I'm still not a fan of the triple launch gimmick (I mean, I get it momentum wise, but still, I say build a longer, faster launch track so it goes over the first time - but you can still have the reverse spike in case it doesn't make it over the top).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Ok, so that video changed my mind just a tiny bit... first off, I didn't realize how tall the top hat-like hill is and second, I like those RMC manuvers; especially the one where it starts as an outer banked turn/hill thing and then it "becomes" the same banking as the hill/turn thing (it's hard to explain, but the element is around 1:12, the first "hill" after the large drop- also the hangtime inversion in the middle of the course is cool as well). I'm still not a fan of the triple launch gimmick (I mean, I get it momentum wise, but still, I say build a longer, faster launch track so it goes over the first time - but you can still have the reverse spike in case it doesn't make it over the top).

Yeah that would be pretty cool as well. I will see the elements will be pretty cool. If it just like this video above!