Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

Orion Construction Photo Thread! 

This is the thread to talk/discuss/post pics about the construction of the ride.

A few reminders:

• Please remember to only take and post photos from authorized areas.
  • Any photos from an unauthorized area will be removed and possibly posting rights on KIC.
  • If you post someone else's photo please provide a clickable link to the photo. 
  • If you are stating something as fact, a source must be provided. (Dippin Dots Guy is not a source)
  • Please stay on topic.
  • Be respectful and enjoy the thread as we make new history for Kings Island!

Here is the first picture we got on opening day 2019 of the old Firehawk land.

Photo_1555790902608.jpg

Photo_1555794143414.jpg

Photo_1555794147956.jpg

Photo_1562102049070.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

What’s odd to me is that the past several times I’ve been at the park and rode Racer to look at the construction, I haven’t actually seen anyone working. I don’t know if I just happen to be hitting at the wrong times/days or what. But it feels strange because they had been working so fervently (including at least one Sunday I was there) back when they were clearing trees. 

• Like 2

Based on the plans filed, there is a bit of of underground utility work.  I would expect to see some trenching soon for some of the high voltage electrical work.  Likely before anything vertical takes place.

• Like 4

Last night I was on last train of the night for Beast(left the station around 2238) and they had the clearing parallel to the brake shed lit up and it sounded like they were working in the clearing . I’m not sure what was being done as I was not at liberty to stick around take notes, pictures or really even see the activity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waltny said:

Last night I was on last train of the night for Beast(left the station around 2238) and they had the clearing parallel to the brake shed lit up and it sounded like they were working in the clearing . I’m not sure what was being done as I was not at liberty to stick around take notes, pictures or really even see the activity. 

That's crazy late to be working but the below video suggests something is going on back there. 

Video is from yesterday. First, the wooden form has been built around the T-shaped footing at the end of the brake run, so I'll expect we will see that being poured soon. 

Second, the construction equipment near Racer's turnaround has at least moved from the last recent video I saw of this area. I think for right now, in this area, they're only working on burying that overhead electrical line, which was called for in the electrical blueprints. 

Screenshots are from the below video. 

FB10B7EF-C4FC-4E60-80C8-975D7B604BDB.jpeg

9135DEEA-5445-4774-BDD1-F48BFBBE7CC3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

WGT's 11th update. Some good stuff in here!

Big news! As he noted on his site, there are now some coordinate markers for the final turn (before the brake run) as well as part of the helix (best I can tell from his images). Note the proximity of these markers to the existing concrete path. This leads me to believe there's now more blueprints available that give more X/Y coordinates for these markers and possibly more. Hopefully someone can check on more blueprints! This is the first time I've seen work being done that is beyond the existing released blueprints. 

Also the T-shaped footing at the end of the brake run looks like it has been poured or will be poured soon (the tarp over it is either helping it cure overnight or is keeping the area relatively dry prior to pouring concrete).

http://www.wildgravitytravels.com/kings-island-2020-update-11-work-site-and-track-update/

B8820D82-F0C2-49EC-B721-06CAAE8577AE.png

3477AB07-9D91-4374-A6B1-D1D61697955B.jpeg

9A2DBB4A-94C9-4EB0-B27D-606909ACECD2.jpeg

• Like 7

Unless they submit actual station blueprints, I believe all we'll see is the footer locations for the rest of the ride. That just would allow the recreations to get more specific, but nothing really too revealing. Station blueprints likely wouldn't need to be submitted till after the announcement, so probably not much need at that point. 

• Like 3

Update time. I reached out to Mason's engineering office via email again to check on any new blueprints that exist, and they confirmed that no new blueprints exist yet outside of what we already have. Doesn't really make sense since they're marking further footing coordinates at the site (so where'd those coordinates numbers come from?). I do have to wonder though at what line are blueprints not submitted? There are blueprints for the trains, but Mason won't get those. There are blueprints for each track piece, but Mason won't get those. So at what point are blueprints not submitted to Mason? Perhaps Mason only gets a sampling of the blueprints. Maybe we're already seeing the full extent of the blueprints?

Anyways, I found the video linked below from today. As @collin.klopfstein mentioned in the Decoding thread, the T-shaped footing is now complete. Looking good! 

T.jpg

Looks like the large rectangular footing in the station and the large backbone beginning fitting are still waiting to get forms built around them. The blue circled footings are complete, and the green/yellow correspond to each other. 

E94449D9-988D-402D-A611-0A95EE6502FA.jpeg

E170750E-D7DB-44CD-BF19-2F38B288BA9C.jpeg

Also, at least in the area the video shows, the large rectangular footing shared between the brake run and the lift is still waiting to get a form built around it. 

88FF6BC1-C136-4077-95B4-E1A053C0BA8F.jpeg

24CDF1F1-3E5D-4BFB-AD5E-F3114B211760.jpeg

All pics are from the below video. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

Update time. I reached out to Mason's engineering office via email again to check on any new blueprints that exist, and they confirmed that no new blueprints exist yet outside of what we already have. Doesn't really make sense since they're marking further footing coordinates at the site (so where'd those coordinates numbers come from?). I do have to wonder though at what line are blueprints not submitted? There are blueprints for the trains, but Mason won't get those. There are blueprints for each track piece, but Mason won't get those. So at what point are blueprints not submitted to Mason? Perhaps Mason only gets a sampling of the blueprints. Maybe we're already seeing the full extent of the blueprints?

The contractors don't get their blueprints from the city. The engineers would have made multiple copies, some would go straight to the contractors to do material orders and prep. Until they actually start digging holes, they don't need to get City approval. It's also possible that after everything that's happened already, they are submitting the plans under a different name. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, fryoj said:

Unless they submit actual station blueprints, I believe all we'll see is the footer locations for the rest of the ride. That just would allow the recreations to get more specific, but nothing really too revealing. Station blueprints likely wouldn't need to be submitted till after the announcement, so probably not much need at that point. 

The station blueprints are already submitted and approved. I know they have been posted on here before. I have them, but I don’t have them with me at the moment.

11 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

The station blueprints are already submitted and approved. I know they have been posted on here before. I have them, but I don’t have them with me at the moment.

That's the electrical plan. That's not actual building blueprints. They would be a lot more detailed than that.