Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

Guys, I used to be part of the KIC community back in the mid aughts. Took part in the get together when Firehawk was in its first season (at KI) and good ole 'Terpy and myself went round and round on SOB. I've lurked and read forums, but I'd like to say Orion has brought me back into the mix here on KIC!

I'm excited!

• Like 8

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/explore/orion

Thrill-seekers will experience a new level of excitement when they visit Kings Island in 2020. Joining the world-class line-up of roller coasters at the park is Orion®, one of only seven giga coasters in the world, a class of roller coasters having a height or drop of 300-399 feet.

Themed to the park's new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing.

Riders on Orion will plummet down an exhilarating 300-foot first drop, sending them on a high-speed journey over seven more hills and 5,321 feet of track at speeds up to 91 mph on Kings Island's tallest, fastest and longest steel roller coaster. 

Orion was exclusively designed for Kings Island by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard, which also designed the park's popular Banshee and Diamondback roller coasters.

EDIT: Sorry guys meant to post this in the other thread. 

• Thanks 1

These Orion hill heights are overall bigger than MF. Exact same drop as MF. If this thing keeps the speed/intensity throughout ride, this could be better than MF which still stands toward the top of most steel coaster rankings almost 20 years later. Have high hopes for Orion.

• Like 11

I’m a little bummed the overall length is so much shorter than Levi, but I think we knew that was coming. It is slightly longer than DB. It’s going to be a great ride.
I feel the same. That overall length was kind of a bummer. I know I've said it before, but the height of that final break run just kills me. Still very excited for it. Already purchased gold passes for the family for 2020. Can't wait!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1