Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

5 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I wonder if someone will do a documentary on Orion

I doubt it they don’t have the budget for it. 

Just kidding... I had to do it. I hope so they make a documentary for so many rides I would assume they would for Orion. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm thinking they will assemble the turn into the station first, then the brake run. Did they do that with Fury or Leviathan?

According to the documentary, they did it like that with Fury. The erecting company said it took 3 weeks to get enough track on site to start working on the lift hill. At one point it required 7 cranes at once to assemble the lift hill.
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

Doubtful. Pseudo-Gigas are not worthy. 

I still think they will make a documentary about Orion because people had been dreaming for a giga for Kings Island for a while, and they had such a big teaser campaign. Also it will still be a massive coaster. 

• Like 2

This is slightly off topic, but... speaking of documentaries, you should check out Expedition Theme Park’s video series on flying coasters. The first video was  about the first flyer at Granada Studios and the Vekoma Flying Dutchman and the second is about Zamperla’s attempt at a flying coaster. The last in the three part series may be about the B&M flyers, as alluded to at the end of the Zamperla video.

More on topic, according to RCDB, Orion will still be one of the fastest coasters in North America. Also, it blows my mind that Fury goes 95 mph! That is faster than Millennium Force! I have a feeling that even at 91 MPH, Orion will blow me away just like my latest ride on MF did.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

This is slightly off topic, but... speaking of documentaries, you should check out Expedition Theme Park’s video series on flying coasters. The first video was  about the first flyer at Granada Studios and the Vekoma Flying Dutchman and the second is about Zamperla’s attempt at a flying coaster. The last in the three part series may be about the B&M flyers, as alluded to at the end of the Zamperla video.

More on topic, according to RCDB, Orion will still be one of the fastest coasters in North America. Also, it blows my mind that Fury goes 95 mph! That is faster than Millennium Force! I have a feeling that even at 91 MPH, Orion will blow me away just like my latest ride on MF did.

Orion will be 1 mph faster then I305 and I305 is an amazing coaster. So that is exciting.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

I have a feeling that even at 91 MPH, Orion will blow me away just like my latest ride on MF did.

I have a feeling that coaster stats =/= ride experience, especially with this one. I think that wave turn out of the first drop will be nuts and the whole ride will be fast and forceful with plenty of elements that KI hasn't seen before. 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, HandsUp said:

I have a feeling that coaster stats =/= ride experience, especially with this one. I think that wave turn out of the first drop will be nuts and the whole ride will be fast and forceful with plenty of elements that KI hasn't seen before. 

Agreed.  I think that wave turn on Orion will be just as exhilarating, if not more so than the zero-G roll on Banshee.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Really hoping we get some more track up today.  It looks like they are already super-busy this morning.

Is the user that used to do the Banshee track/support graphic updates still here at the site?  I used to love those.  Wish we had something like this for Orion.

Looks like the user was @davidw

TrackComplete_2013-10-28.jpg

I can do these in photoshop is there a track layout image for Orion like this one?

• Like 4

On the topic of "How Big Will Orion Look", from the parking lot...I'd say it will look about the same size as Diamondback, maybe even a bit smaller though. My basis for this: I looked closely at a old-ish 2011 skyline pic (still has Son of Beast and stuff but also WindSeeker), and you can see Firehawk in this picture which was 115 feet tall. Orion, being 287 feet tall, is roughly 2.75x taller- which is also how much bigger Diamondback looked from this same image. (I would share the specific image but I am not 100% sure where I got it from or who the original owner of the picture is) Orion only being 287 feet tall isn't the only thing though, you could have built a 330-foot Giga in Orion's spot and it would only barely look taller than Diamondback, because DB is in a great spot to look as big as possible while Area 72 (formerly X-Base) is tucked in a back area of the park and thus any ride put there isn't going to seem as big as it really is from the main parking lot.

However, another thing I noticed- in that 2011 pic, from the Son of Beast area (now filled by Banshee on the skyline) to WindSeeker there was a huge "hole" where there were no tall rides surpassing the treeline from this view. Firehawk, Racer, FOF, etc. were all not tall enough. Orion is going to fill this hole quite easily. Pictures of Kings Island's Skyline in 2020 are going to be very cool looking.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

On the topic of "How Big Will Orion Look", from the parking lot...I'd say it will look about the same size as Diamondback, maybe even a bit smaller though. My basis for this: I looked closely at a old-ish 2011 skyline pic (still has Son of Beast and stuff but also WindSeeker), and you can see Firehawk in this picture which was 115 feet tall. Orion, being 287 feet tall, is roughly 2.75x taller- which is also how much bigger Diamondback looked from this same image. (I would share the specific image but I am not 100% sure where I got it from or who the original owner of the picture is) Orion only being 287 feet tall isn't the only thing though, you could have built a 330-foot Giga in Orion's spot and it would only barely look taller than Diamondback, because DB is in a great spot to look as big as possible while Area 72 (formerly X-Base) is tucked in a back area of the park and thus any ride put there isn't going to seem as big as it really is from the main parking lot.

However, another thing I noticed- in that 2011 pic, from the Son of Beast area (now filled by Banshee on the skyline) to WindSeeker there was a huge "hole" where there were no tall rides surpassing the treeline from this view. Firehawk, Racer, FOF, etc. were all not tall enough. Orion is going to fill this hole quite easily. Pictures of Kings Island's Skyline in 2020 are going to be very cool looking.

Here I made this.

Link to site where image was found: 

Kings Island - Skyline

Orion from skyline.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I do see on the webcam, they've put in a support column right before the storage shed. I can't see if the other one at the end of the transfer track is there yet or no. I'm going to assume we may see another piece of track work its way into place today. 

There are (at least) two supports currently installed that we can see behind the transfer shed, but I suspect all of them are installed back there.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Here I made this.

Link to site where image was found: 

Kings Island - Skyline

Orion from skyline.png

Yep, that's the picture. Also that is what I imagine Orion is gonna look like, maybe a smidge smaller but this isn't far off. Also I do believe the big 200' overbanked hill will be clearly visible from this location (I imagine it'd be coming up just behind the Eiffel Tower) and possibly even the turnaround.

• Like 4

Hawaiian Coasters 325,

My prediction is that from the parking lot, Orion's first hill will look roughly the same height as WindSeeker. Maybe a bit shorter.

Both are a similar height, and some eyeballing on Google Earth indicates that they are a similar distance from the center of the parking lot.

I'm not sure about the elevation changes between the sites though.

E48A191E-2963-4045-8631-D01EDFAE3917.jpeg

• Like 4