Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

They brought more dirt or gravel to use at the excavation area today. OR maybe they are taking dirt out to relocated elsewhere.  I looks like the excavator is loading the truck now

IDK why they dont start pairing 2 pieces with all the accessories beside each other.  A cherry picker could move the stuff around.  That was they are assembled and waiting

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I think since it costs so much to have Clifford they may put all the track pieces and catwalks on before Clifford gets there so its not just waiting around.

Clifford would be the one to lift the track pieces into place. But yes, I could see them putting all the catwalks on the track pieces before lifting them in place.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Beast Night Rider said:

Wow, you can tell how much faster it used to be in the first half before. Going through that break it slows it down a lot more.

Somewhere on the interwebs, there is a comparison b/w a POV of The Beast during its first year of operation (no tunnel thru the double helix IIRC) and the POV they shot when I think Banshee was installed (the park shot several official POVs during that time frame of other rides)  The 2 POVs were placed side by side and for the most part The Beast ran identical from to frame in both.  Wish I could find it, 95% certain it was posted here, perhaps by Shaggy.

Edit, went to you tube and watched the 2019 POV and the POV above (19xx).  Granted, this isn't perfect since I was judging the length of time b/w each hill so my start and stop times could be off a shade but:

2019 from drop to base of 2nd lift hill : 1:10

19xx from drop to base of 2nd lift hill : 1:09

2019 from descent of 2nd hill to the entrance to the brake run : 47 seconds

19xx from descent of 2nd hill to the entrance of the brake run : 47 seconds

As mentioned getting a true comparison is tough, in both cases I was starting the clock when it felt like the train was starting to gain speed, then stopping it when I felt like they hit either the start of the lift hill, or the start of the final brake run, but both starting and ending points should be close enough to discern that there is no real difference b/w what was posted above and the 2019 POV that you can find on youtube.  If you want to see slow, see the original testing POVs where the trains crawl their way into the 2nd lift hill and the final brake run :)

I encourage others to do the same and see if they find a noticeable difference in the time it takes the trains to traverse different portions of the track.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kingshaven said:

U gotta do big apple at NYNY as well.  Dont expect anything great with any of them.  last time I rode them they weren't that comfortable.  Where ya staying at in Vegas?

We will be staying near the hoover dam and just outside of downtown vegas.

We also might be going to Buffalo Bill's to ride Desperado. I've heard some mixed opinions and I'm curious.

Edited by Fitzcoasts14
Forgot something

Towards the upper right of the large storage building with the big garage door, I've been seeing a bulldozer and excavator dig furiously in one spot for a few days.  I wonder if they screwed up a footer or something.   It looks like its about at the spot where the final hill before the brakes will be. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

Towards the upper right of the large storage building with the big garage door, I've been seeing a bulldozer and excavator dig furiously in one spot for a few days.  I wonder if they screwed up a footer or something.   It looks like its about at the spot where the big first drop support will sit.  

They have been hauling dirt out of that area all day... dont know whats going on there

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ohio Coaster Boy 19 said:

Do you guys think there will be a huge plaza area like they have for Banshee?

It likely won't be as big. Banshee's plaza was already large before Banshee since AZ was already a circle sharing multiple rides. Area 72 will likely be like it is now, but spruced up with new ground/pavers and some theming. Plus the entrance to Orion.

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, that might be the spot where one of the Clifford cranes will sit, they might need to level it out so it has a decent spot to set up its foundation.  They probably will do that for several spots so multiple cranes can work in tandem.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It likely won't be as big. Banshee's plaza was already large before Banshee since AZ was already a circle sharing multiple rides. Area 72 will likely be like it is now, but spruced up with new ground/pavers and some theming. Plus the entrance to Orion.

Awesome thanks, sorry im new to this site. I love Ki been going for 30 plus years!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Now that I think about it, that might be the spot where one of the Clifford cranes will sit, they might need to level it out so it has a decent spot to set up its foundation.  They probably will do that for several spots so multiple cranes can work in tandem.  

Good thinking and welcome back sir.

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

I dont think they would be hauling it out.  They could just move it around and refill once clifford has moved from that area

Just now, Kingshaven said:

I dont think they would be hauling it out.  They could just move it around and refill once clifford has moved from that area

They seem to be pushing a mound closer to the ravine. Maybe its just landscaping  work. Maybe its to make it flat so they can plant next season or maybe they are...you know what I honestly have no clue haha

6 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

They seem to be pushing a mound closer to the ravine. Maybe its just landscaping  work. Maybe its to make it flat so they can plant next season or maybe they are...you know what I honestly have no clue haha

Yeah I see that they have moved.  Guess we'll know when we r suppose to know