Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

8 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

In looking at the webcams, I do have one slightly less relevant question- what makes so many bugs congregate on top of the Eiffel Tower?  They're swarming the Orion cam.  

I believe some of them are wasps. Ther must be a nest up there some where.  I'd hate to have to fix that cam right now lol.

11 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm still wondering why Clifford still is not here yet. Clifford was here in early September of 2013 to work on Banshee. Interesting it is still not here yet. 

It’s because it cost $10k a day to rent...someone on here said that earlier but I can’t remember who. They are likely getting everything ready so when it is here it won’t be sitting and waiting/wasting money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beast Night Rider said:

It’s because it cost $10k a day to rent...someone on here said that earlier but I can’t remember who. They are likely getting everything ready so when it is here it won’t be sitting and waiting/wasting money.

That was me. It was just an estimate but I remember hearing those figures from Somewhere on a crane documentary I watched. 

• Like 1

very slow action day on the cam that's for sure.

I have 2 thoughts for tomorrow:

1- they actually put up the first section of lift hill.

2- they don’t. They continue to stage lift hill segments and work on attaching the netting and catwalk as well as assembling and moving supports.

I can see both as potential options. I think 1 is way more likely as the lone support is a sail in the wind right now. Adding the track to it will give it more structure and strength.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, fyrfyter said:

I have 2 thoughts for tomorrow:

1- they actually put up the first section of lift hill.

2- they don’t. They continue to stage lift hill segments and work on attaching the netting and catwalk as well as assembling and moving supports.

I can see both as potential options. I think 1 is way more likely as the lone support is a sail in the wind right now. Adding the track to it will give it more structure and strength.

Also based off the pic someone shared of fury being built they did use these small cranes for the section they are working on right now. So I agree it could go either way. I am leaning on them putting this section up. Then staging the rest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beast Night Rider said:

Plus it might be in use somewhere else or just finished up being used. So is in the process of being torn down and ready for shipment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beast Night Rider said:

I think you underestimate the cost of some of those big boy cranes.  In my previous job I had to rent cranes on the regular to load and unload heavy items.   The biggest I rented were 80 ton RTC'S and they ran over $3k for a 4 hour rental period.  I once rented a 30 ton out in Norcal and it ran over $4k for 4 hours.  It was crazy.  Even if I only needed it for 2 hours it was still a "4 hour minimum".  IIRC most of the ones I rented had a max boom height of around 120'-130'.  So they can't go anywhere near the heights needed here.

I did arrange transport for some of the bigger Manitowoc lattice crawlers and it took 30-40 FTL's to deliver all the components to erect the crane on-site.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

I'm really surprised they didn't use Adena construction to erect this. They used them for Banshee, DB and the Soak City expansion. I think they did some work at CP as well.

I wonder if they were already booked on a project.

Also there are still workers on site. T-Bone has been moving.