Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

2 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Does anyone know how the chain is installed on a lift?  I'm assuming the whole chain is installed after the lift hill is constructed, but how?

They feed it up through the top side of the lift first. With a cable they will crank it through the chain guide then loop it through the gears on the top of the lift and back down. They usually do it in long sections attaching more chain as they wench it to the top.

• Like 6

wow 7 that's a lot of cranes in 1 area!

There were 4 large cranes in the video clip that I saw for the topping off- 1 holding up one end of the track, one holding up an end of the lift hill, 1 to move the last piece in place and 1 more with a cherry picker basket with 2 workers and tools to hold them in the air to bolt it all together.
  • Like 3

They feed it up through the top side of the lift first. With a cable they will crank it through the chain guide then loop it through the gears on the top of the lift and back down. They usually do it in long sections attaching more chain as they wench it to the top.

I always wondered about this. I figured it had to be lengths as a 600+’ chain would be ridiculously long and tough to manage. Shorter lengths attached together makes more sense.
  • Like 2

Weird question i just thought of.
Once they bolt that track in place and release all pressure from the cranes. That steel has to make some sort of noise as its settling against those supports right?
I bet its a very unsettling sound. 

There’s videos of b&m coasters being built, it isn’t a bad sound. Kinda like if you drop some metal rod on the ground and it rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JonahWilliamson said:

Once they bolt that track in place and release all pressure from the cranes. That steel has to make some sort of noise as its settling against those supports right?

There certainly was when B&M used ball joints on the supports for their older coasters 

• Like 3

The cranes don’t really hold pressure, they just position the piece. If you have never seen it done before, the erecting company uses metal pins to get the bolt holes to line up. Gravity and compression hold the pieces down while tensive strength allows it to get stronger as all the parts are bolted together.

I wonder what grading of bolts is used to put it together? Grade 8 makes sense, but I don’t know if there is a higher grading than that.
  • Like 1

The cranes don’t really hold pressure, they just position the piece. If you have never seen it done before, the erecting company uses metal pins to get the bolt holes to line up. Gravity and compression hold the pieces down while tensive strength allows it to get stronger as all the parts are bolted together.

I wonder what grading of bolts is used to put it together? Grade 8 makes sense, but I don’t know if there is a higher grading than that.

Grade 8 is correct. And they range from 1”-2” thick, holding 120,000psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Remember Orion is quite a bit shorter than Fury so I don't think they'll need that many cranes. Does anyone remember how many cranes were used for Leviathan since both are pretty close in size? 

I wonder if its more about the weight and angle more then the height.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Kingshaven said:

It;s funny we've been waiting weeks and months for Orion's lift hill to start and now that the first major pieces have been erected, this place is quiet as a mouse..lol.    

I think a lot of people are dismayed at the ban of sixohdieselrage.  I'm not going to go off topic, but another thread has garnered much attention with that topic.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think this crane is a bit small for what they need for Orion. They need something about 300ft tall to assemble the lift hill.

• Like 1